Options

Outdoors bridal portrait session - I'm thinking it turned out OK

Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
edited April 27, 2007 in Weddings
Finally, after waiting 2 weeks for the rain to disappear (she did NOT want to risk ruining her gown before her big day) I had the distinct pleasure yesterday of shooting a bridal portait session with this young lady, Nicole. We really had a lot of fun and, even combatting the very hard light. It was so bright that Nicole had problems somtimes keeping her eyes open, But, I think we got some good ones in.

In a couple of weeks, we have an e-session at the beach and I am so looking forward to shooting her wedding in 4 weeks!

1. First comment - there's some wood railing behind her left arm that should/could be removed.
145830090-M.jpg

2. I'm not too sure about this one, but I love her expression.
145827596-M.jpg

3. I don't do a lot of them with this treatment (Midnight Sepia) as a little bit goes a long way. But, most brides haven't seen it so they like it a lot.
145826741-M.jpg

4. This one is cropped a little strange, but she wanted this one to show her ring.
145828114-M.jpg

5. But, I love B&W and I think this turned out ok. It has, for me, a kind of old-style look/feel to it, right down to the lack of a smile.
145826804-M.jpg

6. This is why she was having problems smiling towards the end. As the sun was getting lower, the flying bugs started coming out. What a trooper. I think we got her out of there before they starting biting her.
145829130-M.jpg

7. I'm also liking this one. Appropriately cropped and with all that empty space to right, I'm thinking it will work very well as a backdrop in the wedding album.
145829915-M-1.jpg

C&C is welcome and encouraged. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2007
    Don't have time to say much, other than thumb.gifthumb.gif ! I love #5!

Elaine
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2007
    Scott, the expression in the second photo takes the prize. NO amount of post processing will give you a joyful smile like that.
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2007
    Elaine wrote:

Elaine
    Thanks Elaine. Around my house, B&W doesn't get much respect. A couple of weeks ago, I had a client ask me during an interview if I did any B&W. I nearly fell out of my chair! I like good B&W. I just saw gmonkeh's post (here) and that convinced me that I really, really need to look into PS CS3!
    Scott, the expression in the second photo takes the prize. NO amount of post processing will give you a joyful smile like that.
    Cool thing is, Nicole has done some modeling work (something she didn't tell me until we were almost finished) and had just a bucketful of expressions. I am really looking forward to their wedding. The couple is just so much fun!
  • Options
    gmonkehgmonkeh Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2007
    Thanks for the reference Scott :) Yeah the new CS3 B/W adjustment layer kicks butt. Theres also a plugin for photoshop that you might want to check out. It's called Nik Color Effex 2.0, it's a very handy tool.

I think #2 and #3 we're the best of this bunch. #1 is nice as well but it could have used a stronger fill source. I've used the midnight sepia action as well but I found it's a little strong for my taste. Have you tried running it on a copied layer then adjusting the opacity to taste?

Nice shots, and have fun with your next session.
    http://www.reverbphotography.com
    Nikon D300
    Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    Nikkor 80-200 AF-D ED f/2.8
    2 Alien Bees AB800
    Nikon Speedlight SB800
    Elinchrome Skyport Triggers
  • Options
    Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2007
    #2 and 3 are my favs as well. I'm sure she'll give you a lot more great shots on the big day.
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    #2 and #3 are definitely the winners.

What a great feeling to establish a nice rapport with her before the big day, or even the engagement session? Nice!!!

I used to be a fan of midnight sepia too, it does feel a little dated, though. Try turning off that green cast (hue/saturation) step. There's also a Midnight Black action I have come to like better than the Sepia. Intensifies the colors without a cast. I do think the diffusion/glow result fits the image nicely.

Look fwd to seeing the engagement pics! clap.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007

5. But, I love B&W and I think this turned out ok. It has, for me, a kind of old-style look/feel to it, right down to the lack of a smile.
    145826804-M.jpg

6. This is why she was having problems smiling towards the end. As the sun was getting lower, the flying bugs started coming out. What a trooper. I think we got her out of there before they starting biting her.
    145829130-M.jpg

I like these two mwink.gif except you lost a piece of her dress on #6

7. I'm also liking this one. Appropriately cropped and with all that empty space to right, I'm thinking it will work very well as a backdrop in the wedding album.
    145829915-M-1.jpg

C&C is welcome and encouraged. Thanks.

Just wondering what location is the wedding going to be and what time. Hopefully they won't have to contest the bugs!
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2007
    You have to look close, but in #6, she has her tongue sticking out and she's in the process of trying to remove one or more of the flying bugs from her mouth. This is definitely an out-take and why I'm not worried about having lost a portion of her gown. Really just a snap-shot as I was doing something, looked up to see her waving in front of her face and just "had to" grab the shot.mwink.gif

Bugs aren't going to be a concern. The wedding and reception are both indoors at the Chesepeake Convention Center in Chesepeake VA, about a mile from where these were shot.

As a P.S. (ok, I'm rambling on here, but I'm so excited!!!)wings.gif

I just got an e-mail from the bride. To quote:

"These are beautiful!!! Just goes to show I picked the perfect photographer!! Can't wait to see how the engagement pictures turn out!!!! See you soon!
    Thank you so much!!!"

As you can see, she contracted for a bridal session, an e-session, and the wedding. And, she's invited me to the rehearsal dinner - as a guest! I think she might be pleased and I couldn't be happier!clap.gifclap
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007

As a P.S. (ok, I'm rambling on here, but I'm so excited!!!)wings.gif

I just got an e-mail from the bride. To quote:

"These are beautiful!!! Just goes to show I picked the perfect photographer!! Can't wait to see how the engagement pictures turn out!!!! See you soon!
    Thank you so much!!!"

As you can see, she contracted for a bridal session, an e-session, and the wedding. And, she's invited me to the rehearsal dinner - as a guest! I think she might be pleased and I couldn't be happier!clap.gifclap

That's so great, Scott! Well done!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2007
    You have to look close, but in #6, she has her tongue sticking out and she's in the process of trying to remove one or more of the flying bugs from her mouth. This is definitely an out-take and why I'm not worried about having lost a portion of her gown. Really just a snap-shot as I was doing something, looked up to see her waving in front of her face and just "had to" grab the shot.mwink.gif

Bugs aren't going to be a concern. The wedding and reception are both indoors at the Chesepeake Convention Center in Chesepeake VA, about a mile from where these were shot.

Oh I know you aren't worried, I'm just thinking if it were my wife to be I'd definitely love that picture in it's full glory right on the cover of my album. rolleyes1.gifTechnically perfect with an ugly facial expression
    Maybe I should have smashed the pie in her face when I got married headscratch.gif
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2007
    evoryware wrote:
    Oh I know you aren't worried, I'm just thinking if it were my wife to be I'd definitely love that picture in it's full glory right on the cover of my album. rolleyes1.gifTechnically perfect with an ugly facial expression
    Maybe I should have smashed the pie in her face when I got married headscratch.gif
    Hmm - There's an idea. There's an old saying, "You can cover a world of sin with a good coat of paint." I could cover the fact that I missed a portion of the gown with a good vignette. I can propose to the groom the idea of putting that shot on the cover and observe the bride's reaction. This might an alternate source of revenue - extort additional $$ from the bride to keep it out of the album.:D
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2007
    For extra value also threaten to put it in Mom's album. mwink.gif

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2007
    These are wonderful!!!

A few comments:

#2 - I think if you warm it up a tad you'll like it better. It's a gorgeous shot, it's just on the cool side.

#3 - I like this one a lot except for the green cast to it.

#4 - This looks a bit cool, too. Try warming it up and I think you'll get better results

Your B&W images are gorgeous! Those are my favorites....

Also try downloading Lightroom. I think you'll find that the color is more consistent - and you can always go into PS when you want to do some fun effects.

Awesome! I'm so glad she's pleased!!!
  • Options
    DesmondDesmond Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2007
    I like the look of 5 , almost like a spotlight coming down from the sky behind her , and 7 is a nice breakaway from "correct" composition , a place to put some text maybe ? The trees behind her in 7 almost form the shape of a church window ....
    Nikon D80 , D50 , SB600 , SB800 , Nikon 18-200VR , Tamron 28-75 di 2.8 , Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 , Nikon 50mm 1.8 . Tamron 17-50 f2.8 , Nikon 70-200 VR f2.8 .
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2007
    These are wonderful!!!

A few comments:

#2 - I think if you warm it up a tad you'll like it better. It's a gorgeous shot, it's just on the cool side.

#3 - I like this one a lot except for the green cast to it.

#4 - This looks a bit cool, too. Try warming it up and I think you'll get better results

Your B&W images are gorgeous! Those are my favorites....

Also try downloading Lightroom. I think you'll find that the color is more consistent - and you can always go into PS when you want to do some fun effects.

Awesome! I'm so glad she's pleased!!!
    Thank's for the comments and kind words. I like the B&W stuff best as well. I'll take another look at correcting the color/temperatures of the ones you indicated (as well as their sisters in the gallery).

As for Lightroom, still triyng to get my arms around that one. Haven't been able to figure it out yet.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2007
    Desmond wrote:
    I like the look of 5 , almost like a spotlight coming down from the sky behind her , and 7 is a nice breakaway from "correct" composition , a place to put some text maybe ? The trees behind her in 7 almost form the shape of a church window ....
    #7 is intended for inclusion in an album, should they order one. I can put text and/or other photos in the empty space.
  • Options
    binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    i love the first two shots, she looks beautiful and very happy!thumb.gif

i'm not sure if i like cluttered the background is in the last shot. i think it would work much better if it were blurred, it's too sharp for my taste right now.
    And, she's invited me to the rehearsal dinner - as a guest!

i've been in that situation before and i wish all my clients would do the same. my goal for every wedding (or sweet sixteen, bar mitzvah, etc.) i shoot is to become part of the family for that day. it makes everyone more comfortable with me, trust/listen to me more, and it allows me to get to know them so i know what pictures are important to them. getting to go to a rehearal dinner will also be a great chance for you to learn names, which i find very useful when trying to direct poses and etc.

if you are ever offered a ride in the limo with the wedding party, take it. that's where you will really get to see who's who and understand their personalities very quickly.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,828 moderator
    edited April 26, 2007
    Scott,

#5 has a graceful elegance about it. I bet it would make a wonderful enlargement.

Nice set! thumb.gifthumb
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    Elaine wrote:

Elaine
    Ditto! Great shot Scott =)... haha it almost rhymes lol :P
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2007
    Thank you all for the very very nice compliments. I can't tell you how you make me feel! OMG I love this place!
    i've been in that situation before and i wish all my clients would do the same. my goal for every wedding (or sweet sixteen, bar mitzvah, etc.) i shoot is to become part of the family for that day. it makes everyone more comfortable with me, trust/listen to me more, and it allows me to get to know them so i know what pictures are important to them. getting to go to a rehearal dinner will also be a great chance for you to learn names, which i find very useful when trying to direct poses and etc.

if you are ever offered a ride in the limo with the wedding party, take it. that's where you will really get to see who's who and understand their personalities very quickly.
    My goal also is to "be a member of the family" for the day. And, if I ever get the invite to the limo - I'm all over that like white on rice!
    #5 has a graceful elegance about it. I bet it would make a wonderful enlargement.
    This is an especially nice compliment. Thanks Ziggy!
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    Nicely done Scott! I like them all for various reasons. She does have a great open smile and should be a lovely bride. I predict great wedding photos! Hope you will post the e-session as well. :D
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    Nicely done Scott! I like them all for various reasons. She does have a great open smile and should be a lovely bride. I predict great wedding photos! Hope you will post the e-session as well. :D
    I will! I'll even be able to post some from the e-session in my web-site top-page slide show (can't do the bridals as the bride doesn't want the groom to see them before the wedding).

It's so great to have stuff to post for a change. I've been so busy trying to get this thing going that I've felt something of a slacker for the last 4 or 5 months.