Lens options

dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
edited January 27, 2005 in Accessories
Ok guys. I am thinking ahead for this wedding and it pretty much sounds like I need some fast glass or a different body like a 20d that can shoot higher iso's than the 10d. Here are some lenses I am looking at. Any of you who are wedding photog's please let me know if you think any of these would be a good choice and which would be the best choice. (these are all canon ef lenses of course)

50mm f/1.8
50mm f/1.4
85mm f/1.8
28mm f/1.8
100mm f/2.0

Don't really see any zoom lenses in the mm range other than the 24-70mm f/2.8L that are faster than what I already have.
Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
www.zxstudios.com
http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com

Comments

• yvonneyvonne Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2005
    The 20d does not have a higher ISO than the 10d. They both go to a maximum 3200 on custom function. BUT the noise with a 20d is much less above 800.

How much money do you want to spend?

The problem with weddings is you need good coverage for a range of focal lengths. 50m 1.4f is a lovely lens for portraits. 85m 1.f also - especially for getting in close. But you will also need a wideangle for the group shots, otherwise you have a snowball's chance in hell of getting everyone in. And you'll want a zoom for those unobtusive moments. It really depends how you like to shoot.

I'm about to buy the 70-200 f2.8 for that very reason. And the 16-35 f2.8 (but this is expensive!)

I don't know what's already in your bag. But I did perfectly fine with the Tamron 19-35 f3.5/4.5, the Canons 50m f1.4, the 85m f1.8 and the 75-300 f4.5/5.6 (this is not a great lens, but I didn't use it THAT often).

I'm only upgrading to get a couple of stops more out of my setup, but you can do ok without, unless you are going to be facing REALLY grim lighting conditions.
  • dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2005
    Thanks Yvonne. I am going to find out the locations this sunday and I'll check them out next week to see what the lighting is going to be like. I know the 20d and 10d both go up to 3200 however like you said the 20d has less noise.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2005
    Ok guys. I am thinking ahead for this wedding and it pretty much sounds like I need some fast glass or a different body like a 20d that can shoot higher iso's than the 10d. Here are some lenses I am looking at. Any of you who are wedding photog's please let me know if you think any of these would be a good choice and which would be the best choice. (these are all canon ef lenses of course)

50mm f/1.8
    50mm f/1.4
    85mm f/1.8
    28mm f/1.8
    100mm f/2.0

Don't really see any zoom lenses in the mm range other than the 24-70mm f/2.8L that are faster than what I already have.
    NOTE: in the following, click embedded thumbnails to see the photos.

Repeat after me... You have to have a flash to shoot a wedding preferably a high powered on with a strap on battery pack.

My first pro wedding had me as the 2nd shooter at this wedding . The primary photographer taught me a huge amount and it was a great experience. I had the 17-35 2.8L, 24-70 2.8L, the 85 f1.2L and the 100-400 f4-56L with my 1DMII. As you look through you will see that lighting was the bigest issue. I was able to use my Canon ETTL 420EX flash but only for speciality shots like this, IH9T3095.jpg you can see how the flash does not fill a room. On the otherhand the big potbellied flash fills the room like here: IH9T3067.jpgusing no flash has its moments but is not really an option if you really want to shot the entire wedding. Shots like the next require static poses and even then become impossible as evening falls. No one has a brightly lit reception.IH9T2898.jpg

Here are 2 shots. One with all the idiots calling the groom's cell before the wedding and then the insane fiddler:

IH9T2731.jpgIH9T3051.jpg

So lenses.... you want wider and if you can longer. And you need a pro flash, borrow or rent one of the big boys.

Hope this helps
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
    edited January 25, 2005
    Ah yes, I had assumed that you'd have a flash. But in churches and such you probably won't be allowed to use one. You MUST get permission from the religious official (if there is one) to take flash photos during the ceremony (or any photos for that matter).
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2005

50mm f/1.8
    50mm f/1.4
    85mm f/1.8
    28mm f/1.8
    100mm f/2.0

Why do you need glass that fast?
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
    edited January 25, 2005
    yvonne wrote:
    Ah yes, I had assumed that you'd have a flash. But in churches and such you probably won't be allowed to use one. You MUST get permission from the religious official (if there is one) to take flash photos during the ceremony (or any photos for that matter).
    The wedding pictured flash in the ceremony was obviously allowed. On another wedding I used the 85 f1.2L to get shots that no one else could get.
    edited January 25, 2005
    Merc in a low light situation, where I can't use a flash (this may not be the case don't know yet but I'm going on the assumption I wont be able to use it. Oh yeah what flash do you guys recommend?) and I don't want to throw the ISO up past 800 or even 400 if possible due to noise, the faster the glass the better my chances of getting the exposure I want.
    www.zxstudios.com
    edited January 25, 2005
    The choice of prime to use for low-light no-flash photography will depend upon how far away you are from them when you take the picture. So I don't know if we can help you much on choice.

As per the flash choice, if you have a 20D and can afford it, get the 580EX. I love mine.
    A former sports shooter
    edited January 25, 2005
    10d

For now that is.
    www.zxstudios.com
    edited January 25, 2005
    10d

For now that is.

For my money, the 580EX was worth it over the 550. The ability to communicate with the camera body over issues like sensor size and auto-white-balance adjustments. More power. Smaller size. Faster recycle. But its a chunk of change more expensive than a 550.

If you're not certain what you want, consider renting some gear. Rent a flash. Rent a fast prime.

FWIW, I shot a friend's wedding with a 300D and a borrowed 420EX. (borrowed from the groom no less!)
    A former sports shooter
  • MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2005
    My experience as an 'amateur' wedding photog...
    Hi Dragon, I thought I'd jump in here just to pass along my experience shooting a wedding for a friend. Similar situation apparently as you are in.

If you want to follow my progression you can take a look here:

http://www.usefilm.com/photo_forum/1/544297/

That kind of gives you the unabridged version :D

Here's the Readers Digest version-

I was going to shoot the wedding with a 300D and a Canon AE-1 at first. I got scared, and bought a Canon Elan 7n. I got scared some more and bought a Canon 20D.

It quickly snowballed from there rolleyes1.gif

Here's the setup I wound up with:

Canon 20D
    Canon 300D
    Sigma 500 DG Super
    Canon 420EX
    Lumiquest Pocket Bouncer
    Stroboframe Camera Flip Flash Bracket
    Canon hot shoe cord
    6 BP-511's
    (20) Rechargeable NiMH 2500 mAH AA's
    4.5 GB Compact Flash memory
    Tamrac PRO 512 Camera Bag

Lenses? WE GOT LENSES-

Tamron 17-35 f/2.8-4.0
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    Canon 85 f/1.8
    Canon 50 f/1.8
    Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX HSM (didn't even come out of the bag).

The two Tamrons were the workhorses of the day. I took all the group shots and formals with those two lenses basically. The 85 and the 50 came out for the reception. For the money, I think it would be hard to beat the two Tamrons. Less than a 17-40L for the pair if you shop around (I used Canoga). The 50 and the 85 are a great combo for lower light situations. If money weren't an option, I'd probably rather have the 35 f.1.4L and the 85 f/1.2L. Even a 135 f/2.0 would be nice. I had already went WAY over budget so no L's for me (this time) :D

The flash bracket and the Sigma 500 DG super with the Lumiquest bouncer worked great-I would not do something like this again without them I don't think.

So, how does a newbie with the above equipment do his first time out?

Here's a few samples (please be gentle with your critique ladies and gents umph.gif )

#1 Tamron 28-75

565575-large.jpg

#2 Tamron 28-75

565570-large.jpg

#3 Tamron 28-75

565564-large.jpg

#4 Tamron 28-75

584092-large.jpg

#5 Canon 50mm f/1.8

592079-large.jpg

#6 Tamron 17-35 (not from a wedding but the only one I have online I think)

592082-large.jpg

I'll look around and see if I can post some better examples with the 17-35. I pretty much found it to be every bit as good as the 28-75. Obviously these aren't the coveted 'L' lenses, but if your on a budget I think they are a viable alternative.

Hope this was helpful....
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2005
    Nice pics!
    Number 5 needs some white balancing but the images look great! Online is not the way to evaluate a lens, especiall with images so small, but your flash and your lighting are down pat.
  • MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2005
    Thanks!
    Thankyou for the kind words Luckyrwe. I appreciate that you took the time to comment.

Yea, I know about #5. I thought about 'fixing' the wb, but the room had this really funky color cast with a LOT of candles all over the place etc. I left it like that on purpose because I thought it gave it an ambience. That was taken without a flash btw (probably obvious, but thought I'd mention it anyway).

I agree that it's difficult to really pixel peep these, but my intention was more or less to give a general idea of the results I got with my relatively cheap setup. If anyone really wanted full rez shots, I guess I could dig them up and post some crops.

Thanks again for your very kind words. When no one else commented, I figured I should be checking out the buy and sell forum :uhoh

You made my day thumb.gif
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2005
    Nice stuff, dawg. I think it helped sell my Tamron 28-75. thumb.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
    edited January 26, 2005
    I shot a wedding once with weird lighting, I never could fix the picture. I got me an Expodisc, and from then on I have never had a white balance issue. I thought they were overprided but my pics are perfect with it.
    edited January 26, 2005
    Mongrel wrote:
    The two Tamrons were the workhorses of the day. I took all the group shots and formals with those two lenses basically. For the money, I think it would be hard to beat the two Tamrons. Less than a 17-40L for the pair if you shop around (I used Canoga).

Man, makes me want to sell the Canon 28-135/IS... and possibly glad I haven't bought a 24-70/2.8L...
    A former sports shooter
    edited January 26, 2005
    the big potbellied flash

What's a potbellied flash, please?
    edited January 26, 2005
    yvonne wrote:
    the big potbellied flash

It's when my pants fall down. :D
    edited January 27, 2005
    yvonne wrote:
    the big potbellied flash

http://www.adorama.com/MZ60CT4.html
    edited January 27, 2005
    cmr164 wrote:
    GN 197 at 35mm.. niiiiiiiiice.
    edited January 27, 2005
    Well the checks in the mail for the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. Thanks for the help guys. Now Just need a super wide angle, a 20D, and a 580EX.
    www.zxstudios.com