Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited January 27, 2005
    It never gets dark?
    jasonj wrote:
    It never really gets dark there in the summer

14658991-L.jpg
    That would be awful :uhoh

Laughing.gif, just kidding Jason :D

Nice subject, nice idea, but the shot seems to me, to be a tweener. IOW, you could have used a fill to lessen the contrast between her and the bright window. Or, you could have exposed for the window and left her silhouetted. Your capture is somewhere between.

Your subject looks to be very appealing, but it is difficult to make out her features. Personally, I'd either like to see her face lit better, or silhouetted. I guess I am saying, go darker, or go lighter. I don't think the middle road does her, or the image, justice.

Let me wrap up by letting you know that I am definitely not an authority on good pics nod.gif So please take my comments with a grain of salt (and/or a shot of tequilla :lol)

Thanks for sharing,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited January 27, 2005
    3:30 AM!!! 3:30 AM??? 3:30 !!!!!! Wow!! Would be hard to sleep!!

Steve's comments abut a tweener seem pretty accurate, but I wonder, if she was a silouhette or brightly lit, would we really notice that it was 3:30AM!!!!! :D:D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    jasonjjasonj Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2005
    That would be awful :uhoh

Laughing.gif, just kidding Jason :D

Nice subject, nice idea, but the shot seems to me, to be a tweener. IOW, you could have used a fill to lessen the contrast between her and the bright window. Or, you could have exposed for the window and left her silhouetted. Your capture is somewhere between.

Your subject looks to be very appealing, but it is difficult to make out her features. Personally, I'd either like to see her face lit better, or silhouetted. I guess I am saying, go darker, or go lighter. I don't think the middle road does her, or the image, justice.

Let me wrap up by letting you know that I am definitely not an authority on good pics nod.gif So please take my comments with a grain of salt (and/or a shot of tequilla :lol)

Thanks for sharing,
    Steve
    I think maybe some additional soft lighting would have inproved the photo. At the time, I had no flash (much less a nice soft box setup) available to me, so I wish I had tried a couple frames exposed for the outside light and seen if a silhouette would have worked. In any case, thank you for the critique! Being it is still morning here and I've barely gotten to work for the day, I think I will pass on the tequilla (at least for now) and stick to a few shots of Starbucks.

Thanks,
    Jason
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2005
    Maybe would have been better if you'd shot it at head level or even lower, especially if you'd gone for the silhouettene_nau.gif