OK-LAST time (I hope...) LENSES!!!

MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
edited January 27, 2005 in Accessories
Man, these stupid Canon rebates are KILLING ME!!!! :bash

I was all set tonight-Canoga Shopping Cart fully loaded, lenses-check; hoods-check; micro fiber cloth-check; total: $1798 and change :huh -sssscccrreeeeccchhh (that's the brakes slamming).

I couldn't do it. I just couldn't punch the 'buy' button. After all the research, careful consideration of my style, something just said-WAIT A MINUTE-think about this...

You are already in debt for photog equipment (so? what else is new? :rolleyes ).

You really *need* to get ready for the spring sports season (lacrosse, baseball).

For what you are about to spend you could by that Sigma 120-300 f/2.8...

OR-the 70-200 f/2.8 IS (to replace my AF failing Sigma 70-200 f/2.8).
hmmmm...

That's what tripped me up. I had a nice cart full of low-light prime stuff (135L, 50 f/1.4, and the 100 f/2.8 macro), but the best money maker I have is shooting sports, and for that I really don't *need* those above mentioned lenses. They'd be ok for the indoor stuff, but I have that covered already pretty much. They would be more for the portrait guy in me, and the guy that has "always wanted a real macro lens".

Well, I need a shoulder darn it :cry , and I got no where else to go (imagine if you will, the voice of Richard Gere just then...).

So-BUSINESS OR PLEASURE?

You decide!

Oh, btw I need an answer by 12 midnight January 31st :rofl
If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...

Comments

• luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2005
    I feel your pain! Today I was going to buy the 85/1.8 and 100 Macro, and BH is out of the 85/1.8!!! I *need* neither, but heck I don't *need* the 1D Mark II, or my Nikon F5, or anything else. I *like* it however.

I have had buddies decide to work full time in photography, then all of a sudden they have to think about what they *need* to do the job. It is not fun any more when they open a portrait studio but love shooting outdors.

I thought about the 100 macro and other stuff, and for that price I can get the 17-40! It is not the 16-35, but it is a good price and I wil use it more than the 85 and 100. Or will I? headscratch.gif

One thing I do, that works out, is to wait for the right feeling. I have been right more than wrong by doing this. Hold off when you get that feeling that you did, because an angel of a long gone photographer is tapping you on your shoulder because he sees something that you don't. iloveyou.gif

I'll get something by the end of the month too, and it wil be the right thing. You will too, I am sure.
  • MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2005
    Thanks man,
    I needed that iloveyou.gif

Now I think I can go to sleep.

Take care...

ps-I really liked the part about the 'guardian photographer', that's good-*real* good thumb.gif
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2005
    Hey mongrel, I don't think this is gonna help, but if you buy two other Canon products on the list, the rebate on the 70-200/2.8L IS is $150! deal.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2005
    Yeah, what Lucky says, trust your gut. As I get older, that's one thing I try to do, it rarely lets me down.

Also, sounds like that super sweet 70-200 2.8 IS would help you make the money to afford the other stuff. And you'd love the lens.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • yvonneyvonne Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2005
    What is all this rebate business? Do you have to be resident in the US to qualify?
    edited January 26, 2005
    yvonne wrote:
    What is all this rebate business? Do you have to be resident in the US to qualify?
    The fine print says you have to buy at a Canon USA Dealer or Reseller, but it doesn't say that it can't be shipped elsewhere. Check out http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=PromotionsAct&fcategoryid=111
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2005
    Go for the expensive option!
    We can sometimes outsmart ourselves.

The big glass will make you happy!

We live but once.
    edited January 26, 2005
    My 70-200IS will get me a $50 rebate, hence my desire to find two other lenses so I can just about get one for free.

On the way home the oldies station was playing a song by Europe -- "Final Countdown."

Fate is tempting me in so many ways.
  • gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2005
    On the way home the oldies station was playing a song by Europe -- "Final Countdown."

You heard The Final Countdown? You're definitely supposed to get something nice. That song is epic. Start singing the keyboard hook right now. Dah-na-na-na ..... Dah-na-na-na-na .... Dah-na-na-na .... Dah-na-na-na-na-na .... na-na-na .... na-na-na-na-na-na-naaaa ... naaaa ... naaaa

Sing along while you make the purchase to double your happiness!

I can't imagine what it means you're gonna have to buy if you hear The Camera Eye
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
    edited January 26, 2005
    Ooooh, I just realized I could have bought the Sigma 120-300/2.8 instead of the Canon 70-200 IS! eek7.gif
    edited January 27, 2005
    edited January 27, 2005
    luckyrwe wrote:
    Ooooh, I just realized I could have bought the Sigma 120-300/2.8 instead of the Canon 70-200 IS! eek7.gif
    The sigma costs $400 more, no?
    edited January 27, 2005
    Hmmm, yes it is! I guess when your wallet is open that far, another $400 looks easy to spill.
  • MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2005
    Just checking in...
    thanks for all the suggestions, and the chuckles...

I'm in a holding pattern (I think :uhoh )...

The 70-200 IS is starting to get to me. I always blew off the IS as a feature I didn't need as I'm mostly interested in higher shutter speeds. But as I thought about it, I realized...

It's probably the number one recommended zoom for Canon shooters.

It would be nice to take available light shots are the kid's school programs, weddings, and 'elsewhere'.

I don't recall EVER hearing anyone say they were sorry for getting one.

ANDY HAS ONE!!! (he doesn't use it and STILL has it-it must be good right?)

but...

It IS expensive...

It is sort of...well...erm...obnoxious? headscratch.gif

I'd have to sell the Sigma 70-200 EX...

Has anyone tested the AF speed of the Canon vs the Sigma? I was stuck inside for awhile and was experimenting with different lenses on my 1D. The Canons I have (primes) really snap in quick, whereas the Tamrons and the Sigma 70-200 are noticeably slower. I realize a prime vs zoom test is unfair, but just how quick are the Canon 70-200's?

Anyway....back to the dawg house to sleep on it...
  • yvonneyvonne Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2005
    Well if it makes you feel any better... I'm flying to NY on Saturday, just for one day, back Sunday night. This is my shopping list:

Canon 16-35 f2.8
    Canon 70-200 IS f2.8 with 1.4tc
    Manfrotto tripod and 3223c2 ball head
    580EX speedlite with stofen difffuser
    Sekonic L358 flash metre
    Double set of pocket wizards

This will render me completely bankrupt for at least the next 6 months and is to add to a bag that already contains:
    EOS 30
    Bronica ETRS with 50 and 100 lenses
    10d
    20d
    Tamron 17-35 f3.5/4.5
    Canon 28-105 f3.5/4.5
    Canon 70-300 f4.5/5.6
    Canon 50 f1.4
    Canon 85 f1.8
    Sigma 105 macro
    Speedlite 550 with diffuser
    Quantum Turbo Power Pack
    2 Elinchrom 500 heads
    Sekonik L308BII newly deceased

On the wishlist:
    Canon 300 f4 IS
    Canon 15 2.9 fisheye

It is a very unhealthy obcession, and I am delighted that at Digital Grin I have found people equally as disturbed (and in some cases more so) than myself.
    edited January 27, 2005
    Why get a Stofen for the 580EX? It has the white card built in, does it not work well?

Oh, the 70-200 IS definitely is obnoxious. Folks spot it 50 feet away. 100 feet with the hood. I wish it had a Nomex cover.
    edited January 27, 2005
    luckyrwe wrote:
    Why get a Stofen for the 580EX? It has the white card built in, does it not work well?
    The white card is really only for catchlights. Ain't enough ooomph to use as a fill. The stofen allows you to point all of it's might at the subject.
    edited January 27, 2005
    I bounce my 580EX almost straight up with the card out, I get great images. Heck the Stofen is only $17, what the heck.