Options

Photoshop CS2 or CS3, what is diffrent?

djsilver666666djsilver666666 Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
edited May 2, 2007 in Finishing School
I am going to buy a newer version of Photoshop (I have Elements 2.0) and I am not sure why CS3m is SO much more than CS2. Can somebody please give me a detailed comparison and a suggestion which way to go? I am mostly a sports and casual photographer so I am not looking to spend more than $200.

Suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    I am going to buy a newer version of Photoshop (I have Elements 2.0) and I am not sure why CS3m is SO much more than CS2. Can somebody please give me a detailed comparison and a suggestion which way to go? I am mostly a sports and casual photographer so I am not looking to spend more than $200.

Suggestions?

If the budget is maxed at $200, then Elements 5 ($79) or Paint Shop Pro ($69) are probably your best bets. Since you're already familiar with Elements, I would think that Elements 5 would be the logical choice.

Is there something specific that your existing version of Elements won't do that you are looking for?

CS2 and CS3 retail for about the same price (~$650) which isn't anywhere close to your budget. If you are seeing low prices on CS2, then that's because it's a clearance item that the store is getting rid of or it's just been devalued because the newer CS3 version is out already.

The other option that's in between these two is Photoshop Lightroom, but that is now $299, also above your budget.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    djsilver666666djsilver666666 Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    I can get CS2 for about $130 through my work, is that a good choice? I understand that CS does a lot more than Elements.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    Here's just one of the detailed descriptions available on the Web.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    I can get CS2 for about $130 through my work, is that a good choice? I understand that CS does a lot more than Elements.
    It depends. CS2 is more powerful and more complicated than Elements. Most users who are starting out with Elements only know how to use 5% of what's in Elements and would benefit more from learning how to use the other 95% of what's there than upgrading to a program with even more features.

If you have specific needs/features that you are looking for, we can help you determine if going to CS2 will give those to you. If you are just looking for more current technology and don't have any specific things you're looking for, then I'd suggest upgrading to Elements 5 and buying one or two good books on getting the most out of Elements and then working through those books. You can also go through the tutorials here on the dgrin site. In my opinion, that will be more helpful to your post processing skills than buying CS2.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    CS3 is totally amazing. Of course, you can do pretty much the same stuff in Photoshop 7, it's just more work, and not as pretty. For an old hat, CS3 is sooooo very nice. Bridge CS3 alone is worth the change.
  • Options
    SimonTALMSimonTALM Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited May 2, 2007
    Not sure on the answer to the original question - i.e. the differences in CS2 and CS3, although I am sure there is a comparison on the Adobe sales pages.

However CSx does have some big advantages over Elements even in less advances use when it comes to image processing and image management - I beleive the big one is the ability in CSx to have layers on 16bit images I have read that in Elements you can only have layers on 8bit images (16bit is always recommended for Monochrome pictures.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited May 2, 2007
    damonff wrote:
    CS3 is totally amazing. Of course, you can do pretty much the same stuff in Photoshop 7, it's just more work, and not as pretty. For an old hat, CS3 is sooooo very nice. Bridge CS3 alone is worth the change.

And it loads a LOT faster than PSCS2 also!!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2007
    Here's one person's list of CS3 improvements. Scroll down to the comments section below to get the abbreviated list, so you don't have to click through ten pages.

Here's another list, by the respected (but I think on the Adobe payroll) Scott Kelby.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2007
    CS3 vs CS2
    If I may, it's like Canon 30D vs Canon 10D.
    IOW, *way* better. deal.gif
    However, you probably need to be comfortable around CS2 and feel somewhat limited by it to really appreciate the CS3. mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2007
    Or on a Mac. lol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2007
    My own experience-- in CS2 the camera raw conversions still required a curves tweak. The CS3 camera raw doesn't-- at least for me (I shoot a Canon 1D MKII and 5D). I never really liked CS2-- the raw presets and all that were a royal pain. The fill light and recovery in CS3 raw are also nice.

But... it all depends on how you shoot and what you hope to accomplish.

P.S. CS3 bridge for me crashes if I try to access files on a drive where CS3 isn't loaded... it worked fine in the beta. So that's a bit of pain, but not enough to keep me on CS2.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2007
    Oh god.... Ive been avoiding this thread.

I was hoping the replys would be more neg towards CS3....like i need to buy more stuff. Its just never going to end is it rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited May 2, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    If I may, it's like Canon 30D vs Canon 10D.
    IOW, *way* better. deal.gif
    However, you probably need to be comfortable around CS2 and feel somewhat limited by it to really appreciate the CS3. mwink.gif

I just really got CS3 after it was released, so I am a noob with it so far, but I am inclined to agree with Nik from the brief experience with it to date. A lot of improvements, but many that require a fairly sophisticated use of PSPC2 to really appreciate.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    P.S. CS3 bridge for me crashes if I try to access files on a drive where CS3 isn't loaded... it worked fine in the beta. So that's a bit of pain, but not enough to keep me on CS2.

Just FYI - my entire photo library is on a drive that CS3 isn't loaded on, but Bridge CS3 works.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    CS3 bridge for me crashes if I try to access files on a drive where CS3 isn't loaded...

Pete, what do you mean by that? Like CS3 is on C: and pictures are on D:?
    I have same and worse, but no problem (not THAT problem, that is). headscratch.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2007
    gus wrote:

I was hoping the replys would be more neg towards CS3....like i need to buy more stuff. Its just never going to end is it rolleyes1.gif

:dgrin Nope, until Canon buys Adobe. Then we will have ACR in the 30mp 5Ds (and filter layers built into the lenses) mwink.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2007
    gus wrote:

I'm with you Gus, I'm still running CS and am barely ready to look around for a cheap copy of CS2 :D