Options

Sorry, more basketball :-(

Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
edited January 28, 2005 in Sports
Hello all,
OK, I know I have probably posted too many B-ball shots and you're all pretty sick of them by now. But, I have gotten lots of useful feedback from the group, regarding my previous B-ball pics, which I think have really helped the "viewability" of my shots. For this I thank you :clap

If I could ask you to induldge me one more time :D

Because of the soduim vapor lighting, I am having color issues with my images. I use Custom WB and have tried RAW adjustments and jpg level adjustments. Still, my images seem to be too yellow :uhoh

Last night, I was pretty fed up and figured WTH, I'm going to do a Custom WB and shoot jpg only. RAW doesn't seem to be helping much, so why waste my time with it?

Anyhow, these are jpgs, from last night, with white dropper levels and white and black dropper curves and I lowered the mid and shadow yellow color balance (more blue). I also had to use selective color-White, on some of them, to get the yellow out of the white uniforms.

Are these results any better?
14869245-L.jpg
14868955-L.jpg
14869248-L.jpg

I'd appreciate any input on the post processing done. Any other comments would be gravy :D

Thanks in advance. This is really bugging me and I can't seem to get over this hump :scratch

Thanks for looking,
Steve
SmugMug Support Hero

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2005
    No advise from me other than keep doing it steve...they are sharp.

This wasnt with the Bigma was it ?
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2005
    Hey Steve!

I'm not even going to try dealing with the post processing - going to leave that to the pros. I usually just play around until I'm satisfied (or not). The photos look great to me!
    But hey, you said you were learning from the feedback here! Where are the cheerleaders?! :uhoh

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2005
    More B-ball shots! :puke1 You're almost as bad as me. mwink.gif

Seriously. the shots are ok. The first one is outstanding. Your post work is on the mark, just keep doing what you are doing.

I like the first shot best because the players aren't lost in the background like the follwoing shots. Have you tried shooting with less dof?

Harry
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    No advise from me other than keep doing it steve...they are sharp.

This wasnt with the Bigma was it ?
    Thanks Gus :D

No, this wasn't the Bigma. This is fastttttttt glass territory. Even F2.8 lenses won't get the speed you need in this poor lighting. I was using the Canon 85mm F1.8. I used an F2.2 aperture, 1/500 speed, ISO1600 and still wound up under exposing by about 1/3-1/2 stop, on most of them.

These are basically Parameter 1 jpgs tweaked with levels and/or curves.

Thanks for looking,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2005
    Nir wrote:
    Hey Steve!

I'm not even going to try dealing with the post processing - going to leave that to the pros. I usually just play around until I'm satisfied (or not). The photos look great to me!
    But hey, you said you were learning from the feedback here! Where are the cheerleaders?! :uhoh
    Thanks Nir :D

Yeah, post processing can be an art form and I'm definitely no artist....lol I do the same as you, but I have a real bad eye (I think it's the right one...lol) for skintones and color. As long as the color is in the ballpark, I'm OK with it. But, I'm trying to get these shots to look as good as possible for the players and their families.
    I think they're getting better, but then again what do I know? :lol

No cheerleaders either :cry That's OK too. With my luck, they'd be male rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Thanks for looking,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited January 27, 2005
    Hello all,
    OK, I know I have probably posted too many B-ball shots and you're all pretty sick of them by now. But, I have gotten lots of useful feedback from the group, regarding my previous B-ball pics, which I think have really helped the "viewability" of my shots. For this I thank you clap.gif

If I could ask you to induldge me one more time :D

Because of the soduim vapor lighting, I am having color issues with my images. I use Custom WB and have tried RAW adjustments and jpg level adjustments. Still, my images seem to be too yellow :uhoh

Last night, I was pretty fed up and figured WTH, I'm going to do a Custom WB and shoot jpg only. RAW doesn't seem to be helping much, so why waste my time with it?

Anyhow, these are jpgs, from last night, with white dropper levels and white and black dropper curves and I lowered the mid and shadow yellow color balance (more blue). I also had to use selective color-White, on some of them, to get the yellow out of the white uniforms.

Are these results any better?
    14869245-S.jpg
    14868955-S.jpg
    14869248-S.jpg

I'd appreciate any input on the post processing done. Any other comments would be gravy :D

Thanks in advance. This is really bugging me and I can't seem to get over this hump headscratch.gif

Thanks for looking,
    Steve

I think you ARE over the hump. Steve. The whites are white, the blacks are black, and the skin tones look pretty good. For shooting available light under sodium lights this is as good as I've seen. Very well done! thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    More B-ball shots! :puke1 You're almost as bad as me. mwink.gif

Seriously. the shots are ok. The first one is outstanding. Your post work is on the mark, just keep doing what you are doing.

I like the first shot best because the players aren't lost in the background like the follwoing shots. Have you tried shooting with less dof?

Harry
    Laughing.gif Harry, and you probably thought I was going to post an egret :lol4 I'm pretty limited and predictable. Birds, B-ball and the occassional surf shot....lol At least you'll never have to worry about posting to any "Steve C won a KPOTD" threads deal.gif

Thanks for the nice comments :D

Yeah, this DOF stuff is tough :uhoh The only way I can get shallower, with the 85mm and it's 136mm FOV, is to be so close, that all I get is head and shoulders. Great for portraits, but not too good for basketball. Especially, since just about all the players are huge....lol

This is about the best DOF I can get and still get enough player in the frame, for the pic to make sense.

14907048-L.jpg

I think I'm going to invest the $80 and give the 50mm F1.8 Mk II a try. It's 80mm FOV, might help me get a blurier BG and yet still be able to get the entire player in the frame mwink.gif

Thanks for looking,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    I think you ARE over the hump. Steve. The whites are white, the blacks are black, and the skin tones look pretty good. For shooting available light under sodium lights this is as good as I've seen. Very well done! thumb.gif
    PF,
    Thank you and that's really good news :Dbiggrinbounce2.gif

Now all I have to do is go back and reprocess 100 images lol3.gif At least this time I'll have a clue.....lol

Thanks again for all the assistance. It is very much appreciated ylsuper.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2005
    Hey Steve - they do seem to have lost some golden glow.

I also get color shifts, far less frequently when I do a custom wb than before. Sometimes I can correct and sometimes i just kinda say WTH and leave 'em. I do not think there is any really good way around this prblem - those lights are just evil!

Good stuff - keep 'em coming!

ann
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2005
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hey Steve - they do seem to have lost some golden glow.

I also get color shifts, far less frequently when I do a custom wb than before. Sometimes I can correct and sometimes i just kinda say WTH and leave 'em. I do not think there is any really good way around this prblem - those lights are just evil!

Good stuff - keep 'em coming!

ann
    Thank you Ann :D

The coach really like the pics (he has a bad eye for color too.....Laughing.gif) so much so that he now lets me roam the floor. Both sides. So this time I was able to get the crowd, such as it was, into the shot as BG. Instead of the usual wall of rolled up bleachers and the players benches. I thought it was kind of kewl change and added lots of color. But, as Harry points out, the crowd can be a distraction and the players do tend to blend into it headscratch.gif Oh well, only a few more weeks of the season left (then the championships clap.gif ). I sure hope Spring baseball shoots aren't as tough as this rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for looking,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited January 28, 2005
    Steve,

I think the color isn't bad at all. Nice action, especially under the
    net.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    Steve,

I think the color isn't bad at all. Nice action, especially under the
    net.

Ian
    Thanks Ian :D

I'm really liking the advice you guys gave about getting tight and under the basket. I like the results better than those shots where I tried to get too many people, or too much action into the frame nod.gif

Now I just wish it would stop raining so I could do some outdoor shooting with good old sunlight rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for looking and for your comments,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero