Options

Crested Butte, Colorado

rusticrustic Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
edited May 2, 2007 in Journeys
A few shots from a recent trip to Crested Butte, Colorado. The trip started out with a one hour drive from home to the airport, and then a 9 hour wait in the airport before we got on our first flight! Who knew "freezing fog" could cause so many problems...

It was certainly worth the wait once we got there, though. I was afraid to take my SLR up on the ski trails, but these are some shots from the drive out from Denver and from the town of Crested Butte.

136403660-L.jpg
Looking out at Mt. Princeton, near Buena Vista.

136717333-L.jpg
A wider shot of the same valley. I had no idea that Colorado was so flat between the mountains!

136718437-L.jpg
Mt. Crested Butte by day...

136403560-L.jpg
In black and white...

136403635-L.jpg
And by night. This one isn't as sharp as I'd hoped, but it's not bad. If anyone has tips for getting good focus of distant items at night, I'd love to hear them!

136718285-L.jpg
The town itself is beautiful, with one of the most colorful main streets I've ever seen.

136719392-L.jpg
And one of the best things, people bike year round!

136719593-L.jpg
Since they don't seem to dump salt, it actually is pretty decent biking, at least you don't get covered with slush!

136719255-L.jpg
Always keep a spare wheel handy...

All in all, a highly recommend visit!

More from this trip at http://rustic.smugmug.com/gallery/2588199#136719255

Comments

• Options
    edited April 17, 2007
    Thoughts? Anyone? Bueller?

I'm kinda new aroud here and would be happy to get any feedback...

Thanks!
  • Options
    LilleGLilleG Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    I like the contrast of the colors against the snow in #3. However, I think it would have been a better composition if you had cropped the right edge just behind the parked car, or maybe a bit more leftward, and included more of the houses to the left. I also like the parked bike shot.
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    I really liked shots 3, 5, 6. Looks like a lovely place...picturesque, quaint, colorful, quiet. Very nice!

Welcome to DGrin and thanks for sharing!

Elaine

(Now where's photogmomma?? :D )
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    PowderHoarPowderHoar Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    Very nice!
    CB is a great town!
    No C&C from me, I'm learning too.

I take my DSLR skiing all the time. A LowePro fanny pack works great, I have taken many spills and it hasn't let me down. Snow isn't as wet as you would think.
    It's a sick world and I'm a happy guy!
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2007
    Thanks all!

Lillie, I agree with the cropping. I think that so far I've been focusing more on what should be IN the shot, as opposed to what should be out of it.

Elaine, thanks for the welcome and the comments!

Powder, it's good to hear from someone else about bringing a camera up on the mountain. Perhaps if I upgrade to a pack with a bit more padding I'll give it a shot next winter. I was watching the extremes comp at Mt CB and it would have been nice to try to get some shots, though I don't really have any lenses long enough to get much at the moment. Again, maybe next year!
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2007
    Very, very cool!! It's weird seeing things from less than half a block from me online by someone else! Laughing.gif!

You have some awesome shots there... Pretty amazing. Hope you had a great time - in spite of the mediocre snow this year! :D

Oh, and I should mention - there is a very good chance she had studded snow tires on her bike. No joke! Most people here do during the winter. (Need to get mine taken off.)
  • Options
    W00DYW00DY Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2007
    Very, very cool!! It's weird seeing things from less than half a block from me online by someone else! Laughing.gif!

Great photos, I really enjoyed them. They remind me of when we went to a few ski resorts in the states and Canada (Big White, Steamboat, Jackson Hole)

I hope you realise how lucky you are to live in a place like this photogmomma... I am still trying to work out how I can get out of the big city and live in a quite town like this ne_nau.gif

You don't need any Australian Project Managers over there do you? maybe to PM a new ski run rolleyes1.gif (ah, my dream job)...

:D
  • Options
    20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2007
    Oh man, I'm jonesing to get back to Colorado looking at these.:(:

I especially like th CB at night one.thumb.gif
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2007
    W00DY wrote:
    I hope you realise how lucky you are to live in a place like this photogmomma... I am still trying to work out how I can get out of the big city and live in a quite town like this ne_nau.gif

You don't need any Australian Project Managers over there do you? maybe to PM a new ski run rolleyes1.gif (ah, my dream job)...

:D
    We've been here about 18 months and can't even IMAGINE living anywhere else now! We are so in love with this place - the location is amazing, but the people are even better... Truly, truly awesome. So yup, I know how lucky I am for SURE! ;)

I'll ask around.... Laughing.gif!