Options

FOUND: Omni Bounce for Canon 580EX

Barefoot and NaturalBarefoot and Natural Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
edited May 3, 2007 in House of Canon
I was looking to buy the omni bounce for my 580EX and if anyone has one they don't use anymore, please send me a pm!!

Thanks,
Heather

Comments

• Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    I was looking to buy the omni bounce for my 580EX and if anyone has one they don't use anymore, please send me a pm!!
    My OmniBounces were the best $20 (each) I've ever spent on photo accessories. Are they a substitute for an umbrella or softbox? Of course not... But they very visibly soften the light output from a camera-mount flash. I've found them very helpful for indoor photography when I have to "roam around".

Hint: read the instructions for the OmniBounce and for your 580EX carefully. I found that the 580EX behaves (meters the flash?) differently when it's pointing at the subject vs. when it's pointed up at 45 degrees like the OmniBounce instructions say to do. (that also softens the output even further by providing additional bounce off the ceiling). So point the flash/OmniBounce up at 45 degrees whenever possible.

For $20 and change, it's easy to buy one directly from Sto-Fen (The OM-EY fits the 580EX):
    http://www.stofen.com/Store/Products.htm
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• Options
    Barefoot and NaturalBarefoot and Natural Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2007
    Thanks for this!!
    I have the Gary Fong, but it is just getting to bulky! I have had the Omni Bouce before for another flash I had, I still have it but it does not fit this flash!

I guess I will just buy it directly....trying to save a couple bucks :D

Thanks again!

Heather
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2007
    Mods....you can remove this now.....I just went ahead and bought one.
  • Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2007
    I have the Gary Fong, but it is just getting to bulky!
    Heather,

I hear you. I had a Lumiquest mini-Softbox for a short time. But the Sto-fen OmniBounce is so easy and compact that I can just leave it on my flash all the time, including in the camera bag. That means it's always where I need it and I end up using it on almost all indoor flash shots.
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...