Options

Tufted Titmouse

pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
edited January 29, 2005 in Wildlife
I found this little bird in the tree outside my house today. This frame was captured with a Canon 300mm + 2x telextender. I think this is a nice lens combo and it seems to not extract too high a price in the image to my eyes. Comments? f5.6 (That's wide open w/ 2x) 1/200 ISO 200 Better Beamer TTL

14940182-L.jpg
Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

Comments

• Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2005
    Looks great. Nice and sharp, might be a bit blown out on his side. I might need to get me one of those better beamer things....
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited January 28, 2005
    Nice work PF :-)
    What a cute little bird. Good job on the capture clap.gif

I'm at work and my monitor isn't very good, or calibrated. But, to me, the bird looks a bit on the OE side. Maybe it's due to the flash. That Better Beamer can concentrate quite a bit of light. The bright chest area isn't a big deal, IMO, but I was looking for a bit more sat/contrast in the wing.

Again, it's entirely likely that my POC work monitor is the culprit here. So please take my comments with a grain of salt.

Anyhow, nice work and thanks for sharing,

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2005
    What a cute little bird. Good job on the capture clap.gif

I'm at work and my monitor isn't very good, or calibrated. But, to me, the bird looks a bit on the OE side. Maybe it's due to the flash. That Better Beamer can concentrate quite a bit of light. The bright chest area isn't a big deal, IMO, but I was looking for a bit more sat/contrast in the wing.

Again, it's entirely likely that my POC work monitor is the culprit here. So please take my comments with a grain of salt.

Anyhow, nice work and thanks for sharing,

Steve

The birds breast is light grey - when I clock the lightest areas I read ~240,244,246 - Almost nowhere do I clock above 250, So I don't think the detail is truly blown, but it may not be easily visible on all monitors.

When I corrected the color by threshold I may have raised the data too high on the chest so I went back to the original RAW file and created another image, to try to retain the detail in the breast area better. Now the light grey in the breast area reads 232, 235, 233 - nowhere is it greater than 240,240,240 I believe when I clock it.
    Is this any better?
    original
    14940182-L.jpg

darker breast
    14953038-L.jpg

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2005
    That looks like a long hard shot to do PF. I had always thought that the 2xTC would have softened it considerably more. Well done mate.

Sooo this is a 300 f2.8 then ? ie the 2x drags it back to f5.6 ?
  • Options
    Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2005
    Very nice capture PF! I like it alot! Nice DOF
    www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    That looks like a long hard shot to do PF. I had always thought that the 2xTC would have softened it considerably more. Well done mate.

Sooo this is a 300 f2.8 then ? ie the 2x drags it back to f5.6 ?

The EXIF data says F5.6 That is wide open F2.8 with a 2x extender. That was kinda my point in posting this image 'gus. ANd it was shot hand held at 1/200 with IS on.

I hear every one saying the 2x ruins the lens and the images aren't sharp, but this seems pretty nice to me.
    I am always amazed at the AF picking out the bird in that maze of limbs and only focusing on it - NOW _ I only used a single AF point. If I tried to used multiple AF points - no can do - it confuses the system too much.

• Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2005
    The second conversion looks better to my eye. Nice and sharp with more obvious detail (at least on my monitor).
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2005
    TristanP wrote:
    The second conversion looks better to my eye. Nice and sharp with more obvious detail (at least on my monitor).

Thanks - I am inclined to agree - the background for the bird is also a little darker helping keep the viewers eye on the bird rather than the distracting tree limbs.

In my second RAW conversion I used -1.10 stops of exposure adjustment to darken the birds breast more, although it never read above 250,250,250 before adjusting in RAW.

• Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2005
    I think the second is better too, what sort of distance are you shooting from? I've no idea of the magnification these things give
  • Options
    LouBuonomoLouBuonomo Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited January 29, 2005
    2nd.. is much better !
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    The EXIF data says F5.6 That is wide open F2.8 with a 2x extender. That was kinda my point in posting this image 'gus. ANd it was shot hand held at 1/200 with IS on.

I hear every one saying the 2x ruins the lens and the images aren't sharp, but this seems pretty nice to me.
    I am always amazed at the AF picking out the bird in that maze of limbs and only focusing on it - NOW _ I only used a single AF point. If I tried to used multiple AF points - no can do - it confuses the system too much.

That would be me! wave.gif But I've only used the 2x on an f4 lens... might be better with faster glass. I do think the image is a tad soft, to be honest. And in fairness, it's something I noticed before reading your post. Don't shoot me. :uhoh
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited January 29, 2005
    Isn't amazing how numbers vs. perception differ? I think the second
    looks "better" or maybe more balanced than the first.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2005
    gubbs wrote:
    I think the second is better too, what sort of distance are you shooting from? I've no idea of the magnification these things give

These shots are probably a crop of 1/2 of the frame. They were shot at about 30 feet. It can be hard to get much closer than this - I am shooting out of a window with the window open, in effect using the house as a shooting blind.

• Options
    edited January 29, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    Isn't amazing how numbers vs. perception differ? I think the second
    looks "better" or maybe more balanced than the first.

Ian

Thanks Ian. The crop is slightly different on the second image - I just freehanded the crop as it was late an night and I wanted to see if the darkened version really was better. Deciding how much detail to keep in the lighter areas can be an interesting exercise, can't it?

• Options
    edited January 29, 2005
    I continue to pursue small birds out my dining room window.. It snowed again last night and this morning and the light is as flat as a pancake and grey allover. None the less....
    f8.0 1/200 Mourning Dove
    14988731-L.jpg

F8 1/200 House finch
    14988738-L.jpg

F8 1/200 Female Cardinal
    14988742-L.jpg