Options

The next question: A good flash

ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
edited August 6, 2007 in Cameras
Alright so after the very lengthy and much appreciated post about what L lens I should buy once I save up, I have decided to save up for the 24-105L that canon makes...

... but then I'm sitting back and thinking, I should probably get a nice flash to accompany this saving fiasco, so please shower me yet again with all your ideas on what flash is the best.

I will primarily use flash for indoor events, ie dance parties, friend / family weddings, and the like... I may also use flash for fill on days when people just aren't getting lit by the sun correctly, but more prominantly it will be for my indoor usage with people.

That being said, and considering that I plan to use it with the 24-105L once I've saved up enough money to own said lens, thoughts?

The camera body is the Rebel XTi (400D).

Thanks again everyone :)

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,851 moderator
    edited April 23, 2007
    I use a Sigma EF-500 DG Super E-TTL Shoe Mount Flash, and I think it offers a very nice value for modern Canon dSLR cameras. It supports E-TTL II, as well as high-speed-sync and it has a focus assist light so that you can find focus in low-light or no-light situations.

It has many features that the Canon 580EX Speedlite E-TTL II Shoe Mount Flash has, and most of the power. The Canon 580EX is a better flash, but costs about twice as much. The Canon flash has more power and faster recycling, as well as more power options.

There is also the Canon 580EX II, which adds a few features I can do without.

I use the Sigma flash mostly on a flip flash bracket and with either a bounce card (for low ceilings) or a "scoop" type reflector.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    Budget option - good shape used 550EX.
    Current option - 580EX
    Future option (soon) - 580EX Mk.II

If you don't like Canons - Metz 54 MZ-3/4 can be good choice too.

Personally, I love 550EX and I'm waiting for Mk.II
    But I always use battery packs.
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2007
    If you are on a budget, I'd consider getting a 430EX and an ST-E2. That is about as cheap as you are going to find a metered off camera flash system and it is the setup I carry when I am travelling light.

Here is a sample taken at a birthday party. ST-E2 on camera, 430EX on a table behind me pointed at the ceiling:

135488021-M.jpg
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2007
    I have learned the hard way. Buy right, buy once. I have both the Sigma DG Super that Ziggy has referneced and the Canon 580EX. I bought the Sigma first cause, like most, I was looking to save some $$. Found out that there are compromises in every decision.

Everything Ziggy said about the Sigma is spot on. Somethings to consider though. The DG is built less sturdy. This is probably not an issue unless you intend to toss it against the wall or drop it. Something else, the Sigma interface is not as intuitive to use as the 580EX. Since I have both, I turn to the 580 each and every time. The only reason I keep the DG is because, doing weddings, I need a backup. It's there. It has never failed me. But the 580 is just so much nicer to use.

All that being said, if you can find a used flash in good condition that will meet your needs for the near term, you might be able to re-sell that later and recover the major portion of your initial out-lay. People do that with lenses all the time. I wonder if it will work for a flash?
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    I think the Canon 430EX would do nicely at $240 or so.
  • Options
    20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2007
    If your thinking of a 430EX you should keep you eyes open for a refurb. Just got mine for $209.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2007
    20DNoob wrote:
    If your thinking of a 430EX you should keep you eyes open for a refurb. Just got mine for $209.

We sell that where I work and I generally get pretty good discounts on things (it depends on how profitable the item is)... I'll have to employee price check it later and see if it's worth my money...
  • Options
    gryphonslair99gryphonslair99 Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2007
    Shima wrote:
    We sell that where I work and I generally get pretty good discounts on things (it depends on how profitable the item is)... I'll have to employee price check it later and see if it's worth my money...

I already own a 580EX and was looking to get a second one. However the Metz 58 AF-1 really caught my attention.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=6355&A=details&Q=&sku=472478&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Seems to have all the features of the 580 plus a USB port for easy upgrades.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,851 moderator
    edited April 29, 2007
    I already own a 580EX and was looking to get a second one. However the Metz 58 AF-1 really caught my attention.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=6355&A=details&Q=&sku=472478&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Seems to have all the features of the 580 plus a USB port for easy upgrades.

That's a very good find, and another interesting alternative. Fairly new, it hasn't been reviewed too much. I found these:

http://www.popphoto.com/photonews/3327/metz-gets-flashier.html
    http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/10799/metz_58af1_flashgun/
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=268574
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=293637
    http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00JTXr
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2007
    Hmm...That Metz 58 sounds really interesting. I will eventually get a flash, and have been comparing the 580 vs Sigma 500 vs Metz 54--always came back to the Canon if only just. It looks like the new Metz might just sway me since I only intend to use a single flash on the shoe--if I use multiple strobes I might as well pull out the Calumets & get serious about it.
  • Options
    redhawkredhawk Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited May 4, 2007
    430 for now?
    If you picture yourself using more than one flash for creative or other purposes down the road, you could start with the cheaper 430 (which sounds like it would be appropriate for those purposes you mentioned), and later pick up a 580 (after the price drops), which can be used as a master to trigger the 430.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    redhawk
    longshots.smugmug.com

Make me your SmugMug referrer!

Lights: AlienBees, Speedlites
    Cameras: EOS Rebel XT & EOS 5D
    Lenses: Tamron 28-300mm, Canon 70-200L,
    Canon 24-105L

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options
    conurusconurus Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited May 5, 2007
    I would highly recommend a Metz. The older 54 MZ-3 was my workhorse flash.
    Bo-Ming
    conurus - world's first independent lens mount conversion with autofocus and auto aperture
  • Options
    PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    A 5 second recycle time on the Metz is rather slow.... Even 2.5 seconds @ half power is a long time. On a fresh set of rechargeables my 550ex can firs off 2-3 frames @ 8.5fps on my 1D2N! That really comes in handy for a garter/bouqet toss.
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited May 6, 2007
    Even better than that if you load Canon's external battery pack CP-E3 with 8 non rechargeable Li batteries.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2007
    Poseidon wrote:
    A 5 second recycle time on the Metz is rather slow.... Even 2.5 seconds @ half power is a long time. On a fresh set of rechargeables my 550ex can firs off 2-3 frames @ 8.5fps on my 1D2N! That really comes in handy for a garter/bouqet toss.

The Canon 580EX says 6 seconds at regular and 3 seconds in rapid mode, so it's faster than the 580, no?

B&H says the 550 is discontinued... :(
  • Options
    rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    just to throw in my thoughts.

since you're saqving up for an amazing lens (which I have, you'll love it) why not save up for an amazing flash? My next purchase is the 580 EX II and I know I won't be disappointed because there's nothing higher or better quality to buy. I don't you should EVER regret your purchase, and the only way you're going to not do that is to buy the best in the first place.

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • Options
    rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    Shima wrote:
    The Canon 580EX says 6 seconds at regular and 3 seconds in rapid mode, so it's faster than the 580, no?

B&H says the 550 is discontinued... :(

yes the 580 has a much better recycle time, and it's weather proofed, etc, etc. it's the gold standard of photo flashes now.
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2007
    If regular mode is 6s and rapid mode is 3s, why don't we use rapid mode at all times? (There is no free lunch, right?)
    Bo-Ming
    conurus - world's first independent lens mount conversion with autofocus and auto aperture
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2007
    Ok let me spell out what I really wanted to say. Rapid mode cuts the power in half, therefore you half the recycle time as well.

The real limit to recycle time is not the flash itself, but the battery, because every battery has internal resistance. Flash manufacturers have perfected their technology to squeeze the last bit of recycle time possible, but the ultimate limit to what you can do with 4AA NiMH batteries is their internal resistance, which is much lower than most other battery technologies, but non-zero. You may get a lower recycle time from NiCd, but Cadmium is banned these days, and rightfully so.

As you keep on increasing the power of the flash, recycle time becomes increasingly slower. Canon's solution is to give you a choice: a half-power mode which recycles in 3s and a full power mode which recycles in 6s. The full power mode is actually slightly worse than Metz but that can be accounted for by Canon's slightly higher power.

Flash power is stored in a capacitor before fired by the flash tube. A higher power means a larger capacitor. One potential implementation is to split the capacitor into two capacitors, and you charge only one of them in rapid mode. I wouldn't bore you with the formula for the time it takes to charge a capacitor of a given capacitance, but I could dig it up if you are interested.

430EX has a recycle time of 3.7s, and it has slightly more than 1/2 the power of 580EX. All recycle time differences can be reconciled for by output power differences and if recycle time is important to your application and you can't use a power pack, 430EX would be an economical choice. For myself, I need all the power in the world, and I have to deal with the recycle time issue with a power pack.
    Bo-Ming
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2007
    rosselliot wrote:
    just to throw in my thoughts.

since you're saqving up for an amazing lens (which I have, you'll love it) why not save up for an amazing flash? My next purchase is the 580 EX II and I know I won't be disappointed because there's nothing higher or better quality to buy. I don't you should EVER regret your purchase, and the only way you're going to not do that is to buy the best in the first place.

- RE

Yeah that's kind of where my heart tends to go, do it right the first time type thinking... Presently this thread is really tempting:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=60562
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2007
    I have learned the hard way. Buy right, buy once. I have both the Sigma DG Super that Ziggy has referneced and the Canon 580EX. I bought the Sigma first cause, like most, I was looking to save some $$. Found out that there are compromises in every decision.

I went with the buy right, buy once theory. :) Got the 580EX II (thanks to some money coming in due to being hired for a gig, yay). Don't have people to practice with yet as the husband has been at work all the times I'm not at work, but I've been playing around with it on the dogs:

180780149-M.jpg

180777203-M.jpg

180774983-M.jpg

180809533-M.jpg

this is one awesome flash, I'm loving it... still learning how to use it, but I'm loving it so far!

Just wanted to update you all after all the fantastic advice :)
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2007
    Looks like you're having fun with the flash. I agree with the "buy once, buy right" theory.

That last shot is great, looks like he's (she's?) thinking "would you cut it out already." rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2007
    Looks like you're having fun with the flash. I agree with the "buy once, buy right" theory.

That last shot is great, looks like he's (she's?) thinking "would you cut it out already." rolleyes1.gif

The mutt is a she, her name is Gem :) The Boston Terrier is a he, his name is Luther. We only own the mutt, the purebred belongs to my husbands parents (we're dog sitting).

I'm really looking forward to using the flash on *real people* soon. So far only my husband has been prey to it, and he's getting sick of my use of it on him, lol.