Options

WTB: wide canon lens - zoom or fixed

DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
edited May 5, 2007 in House of Canon
Imagine my surprise when I picked up my pay stub on friday to find a rather sizeable chunk of backpay! Turns out all the protesting and rallying we do on campus actually pays off once in a while!
:D

So I can finally fill in the gap in my lenses that was formed when I sold my Drebel and kit lens! 28mm is just not wide enough at all. I've been eyeing the Sigma 15-30mm as its another proven good piece of glass that a friend has been using for a while - last time I followed his lead I ended up with my now favorite lens, the Sigma 100-300mm.

I'm in the $300 range, plus or minus a bit depending on the glass. Yeah, its not much, but I'm not expecting a 16-35 L or anything like that. It should get me something which is far better than nothing. Anyone out there in dgrin land have something along these lines they don't use all that much and might want to pass on?
Erik
moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

Comments

• Options
    edited April 25, 2005
    alright, had a go at FM - anyone have any comments on a 20mm f/2.8? Andy's got me going on this primes thing :D
    Erik

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    alright, had a go at FM - anyone have any comments on a 20mm f/2.8? Andy's got me going on this primes thing :D

check out petteri's review of el hombre
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2005
    andy wrote:
    check out petteri's review of el hombre
    not too shabby, and brighter for about the same money... hmmm

too bad I clicked on the "twinkle", that is a sweet lens!!!
    Erik

• Options
    edited April 25, 2005
    dig dig dig... Sigma is readying a 10-20mm lens!!! mwink.gif

If its half the price of the Canon and works on the 10D, I'm all over it.
    Erik

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    dig dig dig... Sigma is readying a 10-20mm lens!!! mwink.gif

If its half the price of the Canon and works on the 10D, I'm all over it.
    Ooh, where did you read that? Is it an EF-S type lens, or EF?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Ooh, where did you read that? Is it an EF-S type lens, or EF?
    Right on Sigma's home page, Sherlock. lol3.gif Jus kiddin', the press release was back in Feb (posted in many places) but there's still no leaked sample photos or anything better than "coming soon". Soon being May/June from the few snippets I found.

It will be EF-S, but Sigma's EF-S fit all the bodies AFAIK, right? This is all Sigma has to say about their newest digital specific line, DC:
    btn_dc.gife.gifDC (DC Lens)
    These are special lenses designed so that the image circle matches the smaller size of the image sensor of most digital SLR cameras. Their specialized design gives these lenses the ideal properties for digital cameras, the compact and lightweight construction is an added bonus ! including compact and lightweight construction.
    DG is what many of their lenses already are... whats the difference?
    btn_dg.gife.gifDG (DG Lens)
    These are large-aperture lenses with wide angles and short minimum focusing distances. With an abundance of peripheral illumination, they are ideal lenses for Digital SLR Cameras whilst retaining suitability for traditional 35mm SLRs.
    Erik

• Options
    bkrietebkriete Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2005
    Yeah, I have been scouring photo.net and google looking for more info on the 10-20 and all I can find is the original press release and not much else...

Hey Doc, have you thought about the Tokina 12-24? Little out of your suggested price range, but it will fit your camera and is a constant aperture (f4).
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2005
    bkriete wrote:
    Yeah, I have been scouring photo.net and google looking for more info on the 10-20 and all I can find is the original press release and not much else...

Hey Doc, have you thought about the Tokina 12-24? Little out of your suggested price range, but it will fit your camera and is a constant aperture (f4).
    That's a good looking lensm, initial reviews are good... too bad they sold about 10 of them and now you can't get them anywhere! Backordered with no guesses at date anywhere. Weird???
    Erik

• Options
    edited April 25, 2005
    www.digitalfotoclub.com has it for 499, and they don't list it as *out* of stock. Bizrate gives them fine ratings overall. You could always give them a call. Alternatively try calling Hunts in Hadley. They are wicked expensive for Canon lenses, but seem okay on the off-brand stuff.
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2005
    bkriete wrote:
    www.digitalfotoclub.com has it for 499, and they don't list it as *out* of stock. Bizrate gives them fine ratings overall. You could always give them a call. Alternatively try calling Hunts in Hadley. They are wicked expensive for Canon lenses, but seem okay on the off-brand stuff.
    i didn't really need anyone to push me any harder to visit ye local photo store this afternoon. umph.gif

May I be strong and resist the urgle to splurge :D
    Erik

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    DG is what many of their lenses already are... whats the difference?
    Sounds like the same issue as the canon EF-S lenses - the distance of the lens from the mirror. EF-S lenses get much closer and will get a smack from the mirror, making a noise that sounds something like "Open yer wallet."
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2005
    Yes, I think they recognize me at Hunts, though they don't keep my credit card on file yet.

AFAIK, all the 3rd party Canon-compatible lenses fit every camera with an EF mount, they just don't cover the full image circle. I am about 99.9% sure that they will fit on even a full-frame camera, you'll just get severe vignetting and light falloff. I would guess you could find a compatibility chart somewhere on their website.
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2005
    bkriete wrote:
    Yes, I think they recognize me at Hunts, though they don't keep my credit card on file yet.

AFAIK, all the 3rd party Canon-compatible lenses fit every camera with an EF mount, they just don't cover the full image circle. I am about 99.9% sure that they will fit on even a full-frame camera, you'll just get severe vignetting and light falloff. I would guess you could find a compatibility chart somewhere on their website.
    I still haven't confirmed it, but I'm quite sure you're right - DC lenses will work on any EF mount. DG definitely will.

So I went to Hunt's and tried out the Sigma 20mm f/1.8. I liked it pretty well, but couldn't bring myself to pay them $100 more for it. I'm torn, I really want to give them the business, but sigma4less.com (where I had a great experience buying my 100-300mm) has the lens for a full $100 less - $329 v. $425 (they came down from $450 originally).

That I'm still not sure I'd rather have a zoom. Or maybe save up for a 17-40L.

This was originally a WTB thread, not a what should I buy, so I'm still open. If anyone has something they don't use so much that maybe I could, I'm all for second hand.
    thumb.gif
    Erik

• Options
    henrytdhenrytd Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited May 4, 2007
    I need advice about a fast 20mm prime lens for EOS 5D
    DoctorIt wrote:
    ... I went to Hunt's and tried out the Sigma 20mm f/1.8. ... I'm still not sure I'd rather have a zoom... maybe...a 17-40L...
    Congrats on your PhD! What subject?

I'm considering getting a wide prime - probably 20mm, fast - and selling my EF 16-35 f/2.8L. I upgraded from a 10D (and a 1D mkII) to a 5D, adding the 24-105 f/4L, which has lessened my need for the 16-35, but I need a fast, wide lens for available light photography, and landscapes.

What did you end up doing?

This is an old thread which I turned up searching for "20mm 2.8", since that's the lens I was thinking about getting, but I see discussion of the Sigma 20mm 1.8, and would consider that.

I like primes, and rely heavily on a 50 f/1.4, a 100 f/2.0, and a 200 f/2.8L.

I'd be grateful for your thoughts about this, plus comments from anyone else who sees it.

Skip
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2007
    henrytd wrote:
    Congrats on your PhD! What subject?

What did you end up doing?
    Thanks, but I don't know which question is harder, that was a while ago! lol3.gif

1. rheology - in a nutshell: flows of complex fluids

2. I don't even remember what I did about this lens purchase. I think I actually sold everything and bought a Nikon D2h! But now I'm back to Canon (I get bored), and I have the 10-22 to have fun on the wide end. I really like it. (have a 50/1.4 like you do as well for really fast needs).
    Erik

• Options
    pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2007
    henrytd wrote:
    I'm considering getting a wide prime - probably 20mm, fast - and selling my EF 16-35 f/2.8L. I upgraded from a 10D (and a 1D mkII) to a 5D...

Too bad about the 16-35mm, as the prices have dropped significantly since Canon announced the Mk II. I'm supposed to be picking one up that is almost new for around $900 (I'm hoping the seller doesn't change his mind!).

Have you used the 16-35mm enough on the 5D to get an ideal as to how wide you really need? Your 24-105mm already covers the range where the 16-35mm started on your 10D (16-35 x 1.6 = 26-56mm). Did you feel limited on the wide end when you had your 10D?

There's no question why Canon came out with a 10-22mm (x 1.6 = 16-35mm!). There's a lot of functionality in a zoom w/ that range.

Sorry, I have no specific experience with the 20mm.