Options

Party and Event Question

DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
edited May 6, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
As I mentioned in a previous post, I have been doing parties and events for free and am considering charging. When I shoot parties or events I make my password protected web gallery available to the guests to order or download prints from (at Smugmug cost). Can I continue doing this if I am charging for the prints?

edit:

I apologize for not making my first question more clear. What I need to know is; can I give the password for the online gallery to everyone at the party or event and make the prints available for everyone at the party or event to purchase and not just the ones who hosted the party or event? I think most people would appreciate the ability to access them, but I'm concerned that a few people may feel it is invasion of their privacy? Do other photographers do this? What are your thoughts? I have been doing it up to this point and people have appreciated it, but now that I'm thinking about selling I am a little more concerned. Am I just being paranoid?

Comments

• Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    David do you have a pro account?

For weddings and other event's that are similar I charge for my time, and then their prints, albums, whatever are extra. I have a pro account on smug so I do my mark ups on my galleries there, password protect them, then they can do their ordering directly from the site and I still be my additional profit off prints, etc. I never let anything sell at cost... I like green. :pimp

PS Andy we need a bling smile.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2007
    DavidS wrote:
    As I mentioned in a previous post, I have been doing parties and events for free and am considering charging. When I shoot parties or events I make my password protected web gallery available to the guests to order or download prints from (at Smugmug cost). Can I continue doing this if I am charging for the prints?

From someone who has some experience in this area. I charge a shooting fee to come to the event and take pictures and I also charge on the prints.

Can you be more specific with your question. The way it is worded it is unclear to me what you are asking exactly.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2007
    Thanks for your responses Gary and bham. I apologize for not being more clear. Please see my edit.

I do not currently have a Pro Account, but if start selling I will be getting one.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2007
    If you're shooting and passing out the password to the gallery, everyone knows that they are going on-line.

I think, if people are concerned, they can and will approach you and ask that you not post images of them - problem solved.

Those that fail to ask that images of them not be posted are providing tacit approval for them images to be on-line, under password.

Further, they are at a party with, presumably, more than just a couple of poeple. This tends to remove the "assumption of privacy" from the equation.

Finally, if they are at a party, it would be safe to assume that they know each other and may even be friends. By concatenation, the password on the gallery limits access to the photos to only their friends.

I don't think you have anything to worry about.
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2007
    Thank you Scott. That makes sense.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2007
    DavidS wrote:
    Thank you Scott. That makes sense.
    I thought so to, but what do I know?ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2007
    I freelance for the local paper and any pics I don't submit, i put on my website. These are sports and candid street shots. So far, I have not had anyone tell me to take pics down or ask they be protected, at least in regards to privacy, but that was because the customer wanted to suprise parents of soccer players of a game I was covering.

I protect my family pics and any pics that may involve private parties, but I don't protect for the most part. I find people like being able to send the website to friends and relatives and it just makes things simpler to not have them protected.
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    If you're shooting and passing out the password to the gallery, everyone knows that they are going on-line.

I think, if people are concerned, they can and will approach you and ask that you not post images of them - problem solved.

Those that fail to ask that images of them not be posted are providing tacit approval for them images to be on-line, under password.

Further, they are at a party with, presumably, more than just a couple of poeple. This tends to remove the "assumption of privacy" from the equation.

Finally, if they are at a party, it would be safe to assume that they know each other and may even be friends. By concatenation, the password on the gallery limits access to the photos to only their friends.

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Exactly.

I have yet to have a problem or have anybody have a problem with the photographs.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me