Sony DSC-F828 Possible trade?

GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
edited February 1, 2005 in Flea Market
I have started my quest for Photography funds.
Still haven't decided if I wanna sell my 828 or get some goodies for it? :scratch

Really would like a upgraded (10D Firmware)Canon Rebel or a 10D with a 70-300mm good lens.(My #1 choice would be a 20D but doubt that'll happen)
I'd even trade for one that's not been used a lot.

I have 2 Batts (One is a LONG life) with a compact quick wall charger.
128mb Sandisk CF bran new......and a bran new Hoya UV.
Less than 800 pics taken with it (6 months old)

All paperwork/box/strap/CD's/cords for it......also a HUGE Professionally Printed (From online PDF file) Manual.

I really need a DSLR for my Nature Photography!!!
828 is a GREAT 8mp camera but I feel the need for changable lenses!!

Rather do something besides ebay!!

Sony 828 info
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/f828.html

Just thinking out loud......but serious with the trade bit!

Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2005
    I see where you are going Karz (im on my way there also) but remember...as i have discovered (and andy/PF preached) through several months reading..you need to pay for the good glass or else you should stay where you are.

Have you seen the prices of the good stuff ? eek7.gifeek7.gifeek7.gifeek7.gifeek7.gifeek7.gifeek7.gif One good lens (70-200 L 2.8 IS USM) is about $1500 USD & if you want crisp, fast shots then you need it. I have never used it but i know that people whom DO know...use them. Ive got teles in my cupboard from my 35mm canon that i wouldnt throw at a biting dog. Bloody pawn shop wont even take 'em.

Remember to keep several hundred extra aside for memory...tripod...filters...carry bag....more lenses & some more lenses.

There are options to the 20D's price such as the D70 ($900 USD new at BH)...a very good camera that is right up there with the 20D from what i make out/read, if you dont just shoot sports (not that the nikon cant do it ..the canon is just faster)

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/20dd70.htm

Maybe look for one on Ebay or at FM that is fairly new.

Just stuff iv'e noticed in my wanderings.
  • GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2005
    As for expensive glass
    Well HUM I'm gonna lean twards Tamron glass I think.
    Hot bad and not great but I have used em in the past with great success.
    A 60-300mm and a 2x tele is about all I'll ever use!
    As for a Bag I have a real nice one my Wife just got me.
    Tripod....Monfrotto 3011 with a Slik AF2100 Pistol grip. Bout as good as ya get.
    Filters I have plenty of or can get a few more for minimal $$.
    CF's I have 2 Sandisk ULTRA II's 256mb and 512mb.
    All I might need is a extra batt or 2.

I just miss my old Canon A1 35mm and my 60-300 Tamron.
    Hope to get something equivelent in Digital.

Sniffle.....My setup from the mid 1980's

CanonA1b-vi.jpg
    tamron60300-vi.jpg

• damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2005
    Are you looking to sell that A-1?
    edited January 29, 2005
    Sorry Dude
    I was just showing HUM what I used to have.

That camera is long gone! :cry

I want a digital equivelent to it tho. 10D?

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2005
    Karz, not sure you'll be happy with results using the 2x extender, I'm not. Very soft, unreliable autofocus. 1.4x is much better, still suffer some pic degradation IMHO.

Unless you shoot very little, I think you'll end up wanting larger memory cards. And you might decide that pistol grip is more trouble than it's worth when trying to level shots (not sure what weight it can handle, I see it's not specified.).

Again, depending upon your shooting habits, don't underestimate the lure of glass. Your 828 is an amazing camera (except for ISO/noise issue) - I wonder if you can really count on one dslr lens replicating your experience with the 828? If you do get that Tamron 60-300, I'll be really curious to see what you think of the image quality vs your 828.

Good luck, mate. Big decision. Watch out for the deep water - it's just one step into the surf! naughty.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2005
    Just a story along this discussion
    One young lady from work used to have little point-n-shoot cameras and camcorders, mostly mid-range consumer Sony.
    Few months ago, about the time when 20D was announced, she started to rave about "going dslr". She's a hard working single mom (that happens with pretty young ladies, you know) with a casual shooting habits and (as far as I knew) zero postprocessing experience.
    I tried to talk sense into her. I told her about the hidden costs of the dslr, need to be on a good foot with psp/ps, time and efforts involved into getting a picture from dlsr that would justify the price, that it's TOTALLY different from the p-n-s, and so on and so forth.. She was listnening and nodding, but she kept having that look on her face which was a tell-tell sign that my words stop at her inner ear, no further.
    Around Xmas (of 2004) I was passing by and she greeted me with a "I bought a Digital Rebel" (original, silver one)! It was a good deal (about $600 for a kit, Sears male salesperson pricematched some bullshit web online store like broadway photo for her - sometimes it pays to be a pretty young lady:-)), and she fell for it.
    OK, I said, bring the camera, we'll go over a few things to get you started.
    Time was passing, but I didn't hear a word from her. I asked her myself couple of times, but it always was "camera's at home", "didn't have much time to play with it laltely", etc.
    Finally, about a week ago, I kinda cornered her with the "what's going on" question. She confessed that she can't use the camera. She said she tried, but only to get very crappy pictures. She is hoping that some neighbour kid, who's taking photography classes, would help her. She's also thinking of taking photoclasses herself (hard working single mom, yeah, sure, I just can see it fly).
    That's the story.
    I'm not saying she's stupid (she's not). I'm not saying DSLRs are bad (they're not).
    All I'm saying that DSLR require a totally different attitude, and a casual p-n-s shooter may find him/herself very frustrated when an expensive camera does not let him/her produce beautiful "insta-four-by-six" - not without some training and additional investment, to say the least.

Zero pun intended. Just wanted to share the real life story. I bet everybody has one, some good, some bad, that was mine, errh, hers.

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2005
    Beware of lens lust!

I am already planning this:

This spring a long prime...and maybe the 70 - 200.

Next fall the 135 f2

Next spring, a different long prime.....

I really see no end, and sitting here knowing I cannot afford it now is driving me mad....

ann
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2005
    Good story, Nikolai, makes sense to me. Something that really stands out is that you must be willing to fool with your images on a computer to really bring them out. As you note, it's a completely diffrent mentality than P&S.

Ann, you have sweet but expensive tastes!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2005
    It is, indeed a very slippery slope.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2005
    Lens Lust Is Real !
    I was actually quite happy with my 828 and when i went to canon.... i said the kit lens will be enough...... then came the lust!!!! I had to have the 70-200 L.... but that wasnt "fast" enough! I had to have the 70-200 IS L..... But that wasn't long enough.... I had to have the 70-300 DO.... that wasnt sharp or long enough.... I had to have the 100-400 L..... but that wasnt "wide enough"..... I had to have the 10-22 and that isnt "practical enough so i had to have the 128-135 and now that isnt fast enough for indoor gymnastcis so i had to have the 85 f1.8 - will it never end??????

troy

wxwax wrote:
    Good story, Nikolai, makes sense to me. Something that really stands out is that you must be willing to fool with your images on a computer to really bring them out. As you note, it's a completely diffrent mentality than P&S.

• MarkjayMarkjay Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2005
    Never satisfied? :-)
    the same could be said about one's car, stereo, camera accessories....
    even your wife lol

You have to set a limit for yourself and, you have to find a level of happiness with what you've got...... lest we end up in a constand search for new love in our lives. :-) 1drink.gif

Markjay
    Markjay
    Canon AE1 - it was my first "real camera"
    Canon 20D - no more film!
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2005
    wxwax wrote:

My husband thinks so too!

Me ma used to accuse me of having champaigne taste on a beer budget!rolleyes1.gif

ann
    edited January 29, 2005
    Hummmmmmmmm
    Maybe after reading all this I'll keep what I have! rolleyes1.gif

I don't need to fall into a money pit. I can do that on my own without any help!
    Maybe I'll just buy some extra's like a TCON and a flash and be done with it.

I don't need to be doing this umph.gif instead of taking pics! :D

• evil eggplantevil eggplant Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2005
    Karz

You really don't need to jump in with expensive glass. The 300D body w/ Sigma 18-125 can probably be had for less than $1000, this will give you the reach you have with the 828. The Sigma is a serious lens for the money.

From there you can go for the 50mm f/1.8 (about $70.00) A must have lens. Sharp, contrasty, and cheap

A decent telephoto is the Sigma 70-300 APO (about $200), this lens cuts it, and is better (by far) than your 828 with a telephoto conversion lens.

Cheers!