Options

4x6 minimum resolution from a home printer

apexonephotoapexonephoto Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
edited May 7, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
Hello all,

I just started selling event photos at a local racetrack. I am selling 4x6 printed at a local lab. Last night after a guy buys (2) 4x6 photos he says "These are not going to be pixelated if I bring them to a (insert your local discount photo lab here) and get them enlarged to an 8x10. I tell him no, all the while thinking about how I am going to want to change my photos down to about 125 dpi.

I understand if people want a lower quality print they wont really care about the resolution. On Statcounter, I see all kinds of people who have my photos as there desktop wallpaper, and I know they will do whatever they want to do, I just dont want to make it any easier. I spend alot of time and money maintaining my site and working on my photography skills.

I may just need someone to talk some sense into me, and tell me to get over it. Just as everyone with a camera can be a photographer, I guess anyone with a 4x6 can become an enlarger at there local automated lab.

I'm really counting on a response, I need some positive words. Also what is a minumum dpi for a 4x6.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    I think the only peice of advice that I've gotten on this subject that is worth repeating is
    1. don't sell 4 x 6
    2. if you sell 4 x 6, then price them really high

Can you back print your prints? Can you put watermarks on them?

Unfortunately, some folks don't get it. Others don't care. Many will accept lousy print quality from blowing up something they shouldn't.

You could have been blunt with the guy - maybe he didn't think about the consequences to you from him doing this?

ann
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2007
    Thank Ann,

I have only been out West once, and was amazed in the beauty, I really like your work, and hope to shoot some of the Rockies soon.

I have thought about stamping the back and/or putting on a watermark, I think at events, many people will only buy if its already there, and 4x6s are good for a profit. I guess I can't be money hungry and expect people to not be bargain minded even if they are essentially stealing my work.

I think I am going to try the blunt approach, and come up with a few ways to compare my time and money to their own lives, I'll at least ease my own conscience.

Regards
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    Hi James,

"Wow, The nerve of some people." Is the first thing that comes to mind (censored of course), but from the way it sounds like he said it I have to think he really doesn't get it. Something I would consider if I where you would be giving out educational material with your 4X6's explaining copyright laws, comparing copying your images to someone stealing their time and work for free, and thanking them for respecting you and your work by not copying the photos so that you can keep your prices low and not have to charge extra to cover the loss from illegal copies.

It won't solve the problem but it might help some of the uneducated but good intentioned people from doing something they thought was ok.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    Hi James,

My approach and thoughts on this are different than yours. Number 1 will a scanned, and uprezed 4X6 by a local lab be pixilated? My answer: Maybe, but the quality will definitely suffer. Why not order the 8X10 you really want? I can then quarantine their quality.

Ah, you want to save money? Don't we all? Please realize that to do this you will lose quality, and that you are violating the copyright on the image.

Get a stamp for the back, indicating your name, contact info, copyright, and prohibiting unauthorized copying etc.

The next time I saw the guy, I would ask him how it turned out, and if he indicates it came out fine or something to that effect I would tuck that away in my memory bank, and the next time he wanted to buy a 4X6 I would inform him of my new individualized pricing structure. :D

Typically people who are willing to steal don’t really give a rats a%^ about your time, effort or costs.

Sam
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2007
    Thanks everyone

I had already bought a trodat stamp and the ink will not dry, do you guys know if there is a certain type of ink pad I can buy that does dry on the back of photo paper.

I really think alot of people have good intentions, and from talking to this guy I could tell he would not have cared.

I think people would buy 8x10's, it is a risk I would have to take in bringing them there.

Thanks again
  • Options
    rich56krich56k Registered Users Posts: 547 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    There is an answer....(re: ink)
    I used to do the same thing - and lay the photos out over night to dry :cry ,
    then I found a 'rubber stamp store' and inquired -they have a special ink
    that dries in seconds on either the front (even glossy ink jet paper) or the back. mwink.gif
    Although I don't remember the name of this ink -I have a 4 oz. bottle of it now (should last years) there is no label on it rolleyes1.gif .... but any respectable 'rubber stamp' maker will know exactly what it is and should have in stock (i think I paid about 4-7 $$) hope this helps,

rich56k
    ps: be carefull when it opening to re-ink your stamp pad - when (not if) you inevitabley spill some - it dries FAST deal.gif and is a pain to clean up (at least on formica!! -- learn from my mistake - please!!)
    http://HooliganUnderground.com
    Member: ASMP; EP; NPPA; CPS