Options

Australian Fashion Week - Last day surprise

Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
edited May 7, 2007 in People
In a surprising turn of events I have been asked on the last day of the Australian Fashion Week to cover a number of shows for a friend journalist as his regular photographer fell sick. From a photography point of view the fashion shows are about very fast walking models, changing lights, over crowded photographers pit, limited view and finally timing. I did not have my monopod with me, which is a must have item for such events thus I have opted for high ISO - 800, in this case. An important factor was colour temperature, which tends to be low 3200K to about 4000K. I have adjusted some of these values in post processing.

The lens of choice was 70-200 f/2.8. The lens choice is very much dictated by the position in the photographers pit. If I was in the first, lower row, directly in the front of the catwalk a shorter 28-75 zoom would be my selection. I took over 500 photographs. Here is a selection of them divided into 7 galleries, each dedicated to individual designer / fashion house.

Marnie+Skillings.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=21ad1a714c8de5c9302fda3a9816ee72
Fashion photo gallery of Marnie Skillings 94 photos

BamBam+Cloth.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=21ad1a714c8de5c9302fda3a9816ee72
Fashion photo gallery of BamBam Cloth 27 captures

Piper+Lane.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=21ad1a714c8de5c9302fda3a9816ee72
Fashion photo gallery of Piper Lane 26 images

SUBFUSCO.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=21ad1a714c8de5c9302fda3a9816ee72
Fashion photo gallery of SUBFUSCO 24 photographs

Fischer+von+Meszlenyi.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=21ad1a714c8de5c9302fda3a9816ee72
Fashion photo gallery of Fischer von Meszlenyi 34 photos

Kornerd.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=21ad1a714c8de5c9302fda3a9816ee72
Fashion photo gallery of Kornerd 30 images

artsu.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=21ad1a714c8de5c9302fda3a9816ee72
Fashion photo gallery of artsu 31 photographs

Comments

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    Ted:

Just saw your post. You did a great job considering all the contraints (fixed position, shooting available light, fast pace). It's pretty tough to be creative when you can't move around or play with the light!

Thanks for posting these-- as I often say-- it's cool to see what other photographers in other parts of the world are doing. I'm especially interested in fashion show type photos-- I shoot a lot of fashion shows but rarely under the constraints you faced (the shows I shoot are usually smaller, not as crowded, and allow strobes for fill).

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    Thanks Pete. This is a Rolls-Royce event as far as fashion photography goes. I'm very proud of the results.

dogwood wrote:
    Ted:

Just saw your post. You did a great job considering all the contraints (fixed position, shooting available light, fast pace). It's pretty tough to be creative when you can't move around or play with the light!

Thanks for posting these-- as I often say-- it's cool to see what other photographers in other parts of the world are doing. I'm especially interested in fashion show type photos-- I shoot a lot of fashion shows but rarely under the constraints you faced (the shows I shoot are usually smaller, not as crowded, and allow strobes for fill).
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    Thanks Pete. This is a Rolls-Royce event as far as fashion photography goes. I'm very proud of the results.

Yeah, I can tell by the rules this was a fancy, slick-production. Don't forget to find out which agencies provided the models and send them a link. You never know where it will lead and I find locally, some of the agencies seem to encourage their models to buy prints for their books if it's a look they don't have in there. I know these are all probably big-time models, but if they're just starting out, they may need runway pics!

A little side note-- I just today sold a pic to a local weekly newspaper from a fashion show a year ago! They need a photo to preview the show this year and the agency actually remembered me and referred them to me. It's ironic 'cause no one bought images after the show last year, yet a year later, I finally sold one and got an invitation to shoot this years show too-- plus access before the show. So you never know!

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+