Options

New Portraits! (2nd Studio Attempt)

krisbphotokrisbphoto Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
edited May 7, 2007 in People
I took these photos today for some friends who are using them as Mother's Day gifts. This was only my second time to use a "studio." I picked up 2 AB800's in January, but wasn't able to use them for portraits until getting a backdrop/stand this week. I shot in my residence hall's TV lounge.

C&C appreciated!

1)
150221451-L.jpg

2)
150221620-L.jpg

3)
150221717-L.jpg

4) I also learned to do skin smoothing in Photoshop today!
150254245-L.jpg

5)
150254339-L.jpg

6) Self Portrait
150269376-L.jpg

I'm still trying to learn, so let me know what you think! Thanks!
Chris Brinlee, Jr.
1st Year SCAD Student
Canon 20D w/ BG-E2
Canon 50mm f/1.4
Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8

Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
580EX Speedlite
(2) AB800

KrisB Photography

Comments

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    Nice Job!
    These are very good, especially for only a 2nd attempt and in a "throw together" studio.

The poses in 1 and 2 are quite good. I might have shot those in portrait orientation though to remove a lot of the empty space.

In 3, he's just too square to the camera.

Really like the pose and lighting in 4. On my monitor at work, this one looks to have a color cast problem. I'm thinking having her lower her chin would have provided a more pleasing image - would reduce the amount of the "looking up her nose" thing happening. Love the skin smoothing technique. If you hadn't said something I would not have known the difference. Care to share the source of your technique?

Number 5 & 6, to my mind, are just *that much* too much in profile. I would have had both with their bodies facing the camera just a little more.

There is one issue I see in all the shots - a distinct lack of contrast, but probably nothing that a quick curves adjustment wouldn't cure. Maybe the first three are slightly over-exposed? I'm not sure.

Again, this is a nice job and I'm sure the clients will be quite pleased with the results.
  • Options
    CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    a couple of them look a bit over exposed, maybe diffuse the left ( your left ) flash a bit, , i also dont like the turned up nose/chin on the girl, but the skin smoothing looks good, cute self portrait.
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    The lady looks much more flattering chin down.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2007
    Thanks, everyone for your replies!

Scott,
    In #4, I had her throw her hair around (cheesy, I know, but we were just goofing off - I didn't know it would turn out to be a "better one."), so that's why her chin is up, although I do agree it would look better tilted down. The color looks different in this one because I lowered the color temperature of the white balance (using LightRoom) - I was going for a "cool look."

Here's a link to the skin smoothing tutorial. It provides great examples, and was loads of help!

http://www.lunacore.com/photoshop/tutorials/tut020.htm

I was thinking that the first three may have been over-exposed, but couldn't exactly tell. I'll try to fixt that, then re-post when I get the chance. Also, how can I do a "curves adjustment?" I'm still very new to post processing...

CookieS,
    For the left, I used a silver reflective umbrella, left side, close to the background and shot into it, while the model was forward, then an umbrella 45* to the camera right. I'm still playing around trying to figure out what "works" for the lighting. Any recommendations? A problem I keep having is that the right side of the background isn't getting washed out as well as the left side (where the light is directly on). Would it be possible to center the strobe in the background so it's even?

Evoryware,
    Thanks for the comment. Point noted! :D
    Chris Brinlee, Jr.
    1st Year SCAD Student
    Canon 20D w/ BG-E2
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8

Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    580EX Speedlite
    (2) AB800

KrisB Photography
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    krisbphoto wrote:
    T
    Here's a link to the skin smoothing tutorial. It provides great examples, and was loads of help!

http://www.lunacore.com/photoshop/tutorials/tut020.htm

I was thinking that the first three may have been over-exposed, but couldn't exactly tell. I'll try to fixt that, then re-post when I get the chance. Also, how can I do a "curves adjustment?" I'm still very new to post processing...
    For someone new to PP, you've done a wonderful job on the skin smoothing. That is something, from what I've read, is difficult to do well.

As for curves, check out the tutorials (see top of the DGrin window for the menu link). The curves tut is here (link). But, as you will see, there is a load of information in the tutes!
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    I like #5 the best. Are you guessing on the exposure, using the histogram, and adjusting, or do you use a handheld light meter?

I find using a hh lightmeter is quicker and more accurate.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2007
    I've been guessing on exposure, trying to use the histogram...
    I've heard of a light meter; know what it does, but not exactly sure what it is. Could you post a link to one online? Thanks!
    Chris Brinlee, Jr.
    1st Year SCAD Student
    Canon 20D w/ BG-E2
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8

Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    580EX Speedlite
    (2) AB800

KrisB Photography
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    krisbphoto wrote:
    I've been guessing on exposure, trying to use the histogram...
    I've heard of a light meter; know what it does, but not exactly sure what it is. Could you post a link to one online? Thanks!
    This it the one I have. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/368226-REG/Sekonic_401309_L_308S_Flashmate_Light_Meter.html There are better/more expensive ones, but like most new things, I don't start with the most expensive.

It allows you to take a meter reading of the flash, set you camera manually and shoot. You can measure light output from individual flashes...all kinds of stuff.

I like mine, find it very helpful. Beats guessing. Speeds up the set up process.

I have 3 AB800's btw.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2007
    Awesome! And yikes! Cheaper than glass, I suppose...

Is the light meter easy to use?
    Chris Brinlee, Jr.
    1st Year SCAD Student
    Canon 20D w/ BG-E2
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8

Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    580EX Speedlite
    (2) AB800

KrisB Photography