Options

san fran man

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited May 9, 2007 in Landscapes
I think I posted this in journeys, but I wanted to solicit feedback on this particular shot. I grabbed this while passing by on a cable car, and the lines and angles I found to be very interesting. Wondering if there is something better I coulda/shoulda done in post with this one, all you pp wizards out there? I oversharpened on purpose to emphasize the lines, but...not sure if that was the "right" thing to do?

Thanks!

Elaine

149498268-L.jpg
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    he certainly is a striking character and the big white blocks add to that. I think the grainy oversharpening is pretty neat but the white aura.. ne_nau.gif did you use shadow/highlights in pshp?
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    I used a USM technique a while back for stuff like this. From memory (which may not be accurate) you make a layer for the USM and crank it like you did. Then you duplicate that layer so you have two USM layers. Change the blending mode of one of them to 'darken' and the other one to 'lighten'. Then you can play with the opacity of those layers to get the effect you want.

Usually a photo can take more of the 'darken' layer than the 'lighten' one without looking fake. You can adjust the lightened layer until the halo goes away, and you will still get the benefit of stronger dark lines.

I don't know if that makes sense the way I wrote it, but I think it's correct - give it a try.