Options

2 worlds

Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
edited May 9, 2007 in People
I have been trying to get a clean shot of these 2 Hare Krishnas for good few minutes only to have someone walk into the frame every time. The girl kept chanting the Hare Krishna accompanied by equally monotonous rhythm of the drum. Few more tries all equally wasted. At that point I realised I was trying to capture something that wasn’t there. The Hare Krishnas ignored the Armani suit clad business people and vice versa and they both shared the same space. Now I’ve tried for the opposite which came to fruition with this shot. And the girls still sang Hare Krishna and the Armani suits continued their lunchtime parade.

Click the link or the image to see a bigger photograph and EXIF.

Comments

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007

I have been trying to get a clean shot of these 2 Hare Krishnas for good few minutes only to have someone walk into the frame every time. The girl kept chanting the Hare Krishna accompanied by equally monotonous rhythm of the drum. Few more tries all equally wasted. At that point I realised I was trying to capture something that wasn’t there. The Hare Krishnas ignored the Armani suit clad business people and vice versa and they both shared the same space. Now I’ve tried for the opposite which came to fruition with this shot. And the girls still sang Hare Krishna and the Armani suits continued their lunchtime parade.

Click the link or the image to see a bigger photograph and EXIF.
    That is such a poignant story of two cultures co-existing but ignoring each other. A stronger comment would start getting political and that's against the rules.

The photograph makes a very strong statement - well done!

And 1,000 points to you for realizing that the image you were attempting to capture wasn't there and then seeing the image that really was there!thumb.gif
  • Options
    Thiago SigristThiago Sigrist Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    And 1,000 points to you for realizing that the image you were attempting to capture wasn't there and then seeing the image that really was there!thumb.gif

Exactly, this realization was just fantastic!
    And the shot follows, Ted! I like how much the composition is unusual, the frame is more or less divided in half by their carpet thingie... and this is really cool.

Who needs the rule of thirds, eh? thumb.gif

Thanks so much for sharing this shot with us!
    Take care!

-- thiago