Options

More winter wonderland or is snow white!

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited January 30, 2005 in Wildlife
Got a call from the dh - grab your camera - the trees at the creek are all white!
Isn't it nice that he thinks of me!:lust

So, for your viewing pleasure:uhoh
15004248-M.jpg

I have a billion versions of this shot (well, maybe a different piece of wheat, but you get the point) from the last few years and this is by far the best:
15004251-M.jpg

15004259-M.jpg

I have a few that I would like to talk about my pp protocal - maybe a different thread?

These are canon 20d and 17 - 85mm IS lens shots.
I am okay with constructive criticism, btw.
ann

Comments

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2005
    I love the top one!

ginger (Other people will love the others.......) Nice lens. I am lens crazy right now. Good thing that I actually have no "real" money. Those are very nice shots.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2005
    Snow doesn't look white?
    Is it my monitor? :-)

I like the berries, but might like to see an even closer crop. Make a neat card next holiday season.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2005
    Hey Ann,

Love that first shot. I would go for a tighter crop of the berries. The wheat shot is a bit flat maybe a shallower DOF would have helped.

Harry
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2005
    Ann
    15004259-M.jpg
    #3 does it for me nice color

Thanks
    Fred
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I love the top one!

ginger (Other people will love the others.......) Nice lens. I am lens crazy right now. Good thing that I actually have no "real" money. Those are very nice shots.
    Hi ginger
    Thanks

I am lens crazy and without real money too!!!!!!:cry :cry :cry And feeling like I really need to push to the next level - like I am in a rut of some kind. :uhoh

ann
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2005
    Dee wrote:
    Is it my monitor? :-)

I like the berries, but might like to see an even closer crop. Make a neat card next holiday season.
    Hi Dee
    The snow isn't actually white - it reads as grey with the eye dropper thingy - anywhere from 170 to 190 in these shots, but it is the same reading in all 3 color spaces or channels or whatever - forgive my lack of real knowledge here.

There have been a few threads discussing the color of snow. And many ideas on how to deal with it when it has a certain tinge from the reflected sky.

In this case, I didn't deal with it at all. I have some others from yesterday that I will post and would like to discuss this further - maybe in the photography 101 section?

About the rose hips - I can crop closer, and I have some shots from closer -

this leads me to thinking about the differences between the 20d and the 828.
    In order to frame these shots I basically had to sit down on the snow, and ended up with lots of snow in my boots. Withthe 828 swivel, I probably would not have had to, but I would not have been able to focus with different focal lengths the same way I could with the 20d

Thanks for commenting.

ann
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Hey Ann,

Love that first shot. I would go for a tighter crop of the berries. The wheat shot is a bit flat maybe a shallower DOF would have helped.

Harry
    HI Harry

hmmmm, flat as in not enough difference between subject and background?

What impresses me is that the ice crystalls on the wheat and the texture of the snow both show.
    I wonder if I played around with curves if I could give it some pop without losing the overall subtlety that I liked about it?

ann
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2005
    USAIR wrote:
    15004259-M.jpg
    #3 does it for me nice color

Thanks
    Fred
    Thanks, Fred.

ann
  • Options
    Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2005
    Ann, very nice set.

But if your anything like me your ready for the big melt!:D

I like the wheat shot. Neat to see the ice formations like that.
    www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....