Options

A few bluebell shots

thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
edited May 10, 2007 in Landscapes
Hi, one of the first trips I made with my first D-SLR last year was to nearby bluebell woods. Not really knowing what I was doing I pretty much made a hash of it.

Anyway, hopefully these are technically better and hopefully this time next year I'll have also improved my composition :wink

This shot was fairly straight PP although I did have to clone someone out that had wandered into shot and I used the lens correction is PS to straighten up the trees.

148703474-M.jpg

149910639-M.jpg

I softened the images below with a gaussian blur and faded them via soft light, I think it's a subtle but pleasing affect.

149912556-M.jpg

150424565-M.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Charlie

Comments

• Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    Great composition in the third onethumb.gif and the effect looks great at this sizeclap.gif
  • Options
    z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    I love first one !
    Line of hidden horizon, vanishing trail, sea of aquamarine ...
    Just one small rasp - tree shadow right up front.
    Anyway, it's still the best bowdown.gif
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2007
    Great composition in the third onethumb.gif and the effect looks great at this sizeclap.gif

Thanks Marc, yes the branches and logs almost seem to have been arranged to give balance and strong lines to the composition.

Charlie
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2007
    z_28 wrote:
    I love first one !
    Line of hidden horizon, vanishing trail, sea of aquamarine ...
    Just one small rasp - tree shadow right up front.
    Anyway, it's still the best bowdown.gif

Thanks, you spotted that shadow, yes it bothers me too mwink.gif

I must learn to look around the viewfinder with more concentration headscratch.gif

Charlie
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    Hi there, i love all the images, but, i don't know if it's my monitor, OR they look oversaturated.... Do i need to calibrate? ne_nau.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2007
    ShepsMom wrote:
    Hi there, i love all the images, but, i don't know if it's my monitor, OR they look oversaturated.... Do i need to calibrate? ne_nau.gif

I'm not sure Marina, I do like well saturated images so I may have over done it for some tastes, it was an overcast day in the last 3 and this really does bring out the colour of the bluebells well, plus the effect I used on the last two may have boosted the saturation further.

I notice a lot of people post images that I would consider lack contrast and saturation but in a lot of cases it's personal preference.

Charlie
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    No problems! I like bold, colorful and well saturated images myself. I just thought it was little bit more then i would've done. :D
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    ShepsMom wrote:

Some times you just need to lay off the donutsrolleyes1.gif

Ok Ok, I really don't know if you were eating donuts but it is actually provin that sugar effects your color interpretation. Furthermore, if you have a cup of coffee with that donut you will really see colorsheadscratch.gif BTW, I usually critique contrast more than color on the internet unless something is really way off.thumb.gif
  • Options
    GudniBGudniB Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    Charlie

Like I've said before, I like your saturated images.
    They grab the attention.

#3 is unusual and therefore my favourite.
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2007
    GudniB wrote:
    Charlie

Like I've said before, I like your saturated images.
    They grab the attention.

#3 is unusual and therefore my favourite.

Thanks GudniB, have you managed to get out and shoot the oilseed yet?

Charlie
  • Options
    Kory LidstromKory Lidstrom Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    Some nice shots, bigsky. :D The first one would be the winner for me if it weren't for that shadow in the foreground. Perrhaps if you crop it out and make a pano of the shot?

Also, regarding your saturation technique, I think it works very vell for certain types of shots, like these bluebell shots.

If you haven't heard of it, you may want to research what's called the "Orton Effect". Some people call it the stacking technique. Anyway, it's a technique that saturates, and adds sort of a dreamy-ness to the highlights of photos while leaving the shadows alone. It doesn't work for all shots, but for shots like your bluebell shots, it's fabulous.

As a matter of fact, it's one of my favorite techniques and I use it often -- it's sort of my personal style or trademark. Check out my galleries and I think you'll be able to tell which photos I used this effect on.

Also, if you're familiar with FredMiranda.com, I would highly recommend that you go into the Landscape Photography forum and look for some of ScaryFox's bluebell threads. She lives in England near one of the most impressive Bluebell forests in the world. Just last week, she posted some amazing shots of them. And, guess what technique she used? Yep: the Orton effect. I think it'd be right up your alley.

Well, that's all -- hope I didn't ramble on too long! :giggle
    I see the world through a 3:2 rectangle.

My site:Fine Image Photography
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2007
    Thanks for the info Nugblazer, I'll look into the effect you've mentioned.

Charlie