Options

Pick This One Apart

GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
edited January 30, 2005 in Wildlife
This is a bird I shot yesterday along with the rest. I have done some heavy PS work (a weak spot) to it. Tell me whats wrong with it.

15037340-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    This is a bird I shot yesterday along with the rest. I have done some heavy PS work (a weak spot) to it. Tell me whats wrong with it.

15037340-L.jpg
    The eyes are all black. There is a shinny spot on the nose. She is wearing feathers, maybe from an endangered species. Very artificial pose. The bacground is all blurry. The feet are cut off. :D

Other than that, it's a great shot!

Sam
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited January 30, 2005
    Sam wrote:
    The eyes are all black. There is a shinny spot on the nose. She is wearing feathers, maybe from an endangered species. Very artificial pose. The bacground is all blurry. The feet are cut off. :D

Other than that, it's a great shot!

Sam

Sam - you devil. Tell us what you really think. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

I think it is very nice Greaper. I would like to see a little more detail in the eyes if possible. The tonality is very nice and the image seems crisp. Nice work. I don't mind that you did not include his feet.

What distance were you shooting from?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2005
    I think it's excellent in every way save one. It may be my eyes, but it looks just a touch soft. ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Sam - you devil. Tell us what you really think. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

I think it is very nice Greaper. I would like to see a little more detail in the eyes if possible. The tonality is very nice and the image seems crisp. Nice work. I don't mind that you did not include his feet.

What distance were you shooting from?

18 inches....
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    I think it's excellent in every way save one. It may be my eyes, but it looks just a touch soft. ne_nau.gif

Hmmm, maybe a touch, the DOF was pretty shallow on the Layer the bird is on. I think the sharpest focus in on the right (his left) eye. It may need a bit of sharpening.

Can you tell the background has been changed?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2005
    Now that you mention it, the light on the bird is different than the light on the background. When I first saw the shot I was vaguely aware that the bg was somehow distracting, and I thought perhaps it was because it was too busy, but since it was nicely soft, I dismissed the thought. Maybe it was the lighting that I was responding to. ne_nau.gif But you've done a nice job, I don't think it's an issue.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    Tell me whats wrong with it.
    What's wrong with it? Are you kidding? Fantastic!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    Can you tell the background has been changed?

I had not noticed until you asked. The light on the bird is from the left with shadows on the right. The shadows on the grass are on the left for some strands and on the right for the others - the sun was overhead for the grass perhaps?
    The selection of the bird and the border between the bird and background seem very well done to my appraisal. Nicely done.
    Shooting from 18 inches - what a treat!!! I've been shooting from 30 feet and overcast most days. Did you have sun in Ohio yesterday too?

• Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2005
    I think it's a great image. The only downside is that you cut off the poor bird's feet.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    LouBuonomoLouBuonomo Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited January 30, 2005
    Brian,

Nice job.. I would like some more fill and the feet but he was on a glove I imagine. I would have probably gone for a 3/4 crop.

Colors are wonderful

Lou
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2005
    Well, Here's what I started with...

Shot indoors, bird perched on the finger of a handler, white glossy wall behind, from 18" 80mm lens.

15059262-L.jpg

I selected the bird out of this background and went looking for a background in my files.

I tried a couple I didn't like before I found this one.

15059264-L.jpg

I thought the colors complimented the bird and looked like an environment where you might find him.

I pasted in the background and blurred it a good bit.

Then I did some erasing and blurring to clean up the edge of the selection.

I thought the original bird shot was a throw away. I think it looks alright like this, I dunno.
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    Well, Here's what I started with...

Shot indoors, bird perched on the finger of a handler, white glossy wall behind, from 18" 80mm lens.

15059262-S.jpg

I selected the bird out of this background and went looking for a background in my files.

I tried a couple I didn't like before I found this one.

15059264-S.jpg

I thought the colors complimented the bird and looked like an environment where you might find him.

I pasted in the background and blurred it a good bit.

Then I did some erasing and blurring to clean up the edge of the selection.

I thought the original bird shot was a throw away. I think it looks alright like this, I dunno.

Very interesting Greaps. I like the image you finished with.

One thing I do notice is that you seem to have less detail in the birds left eye in the final image and seem to have more in the original. I think you may have used an S-shaped curve to increase the contrast on the mid tones in the bird, and in doing so lost some contrast in the darker tones in the birds eye. I think that some of the eye detail could be painted back in with the art history brush. Or you could have deslected the eyes before writing the Levels curve. Just a guess.

I think this has been a very educational thread. Thank you. Shooting from 18 Inches WoW!! Is this place open to the public for photography or do you have to have an invite??

• Options
    edited January 30, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Very interesting Greaps. I like the image you finished with.

One thing I do notice is that you seem to have less detail in the birds left eye in the final image and seem to have more in the original. I think you may have used an S-shaped curve to increase the contrast on the mid tones in the bird, and in doing so lost some contrast in the darker tones in the birds eye. I think that some of the eye detail could be painted back in with the art history brush. Or you could have deslected the eyes before writing the Levels curve. Just a guess.

I think this has been a very educational thread. Thank you. Shooting from 18 Inches WoW!! Is this place open to the public for photography or do you have to have an invite??

You have to have an invite, They do this photo shoot twice a year with a max of 10 photogs. This is my second time to do it. The first time was very early in my hobby and the number of "keepers" was LOW.

The outing fills up fast. Very Fast.

I know Art Weber and he lets me know about stuff before it's public
    :D

If you would like, the next time it comes around I will let you know if you are willing to make the drive. I could sign us both up.

I will have to look at they eye detail. Sometimes my posts on Dgrin look a touch darker than they do in PS so I am never sure when I post.
  • Options
    nickphoto123nickphoto123 Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2005
    Nothing to Pick Apart
    Hello Greaper and All,

Fantastic PS work to save the moment of your original capture.

My 2 cents:

All of your work leads to a very good image, one not taken under the best of conditions.

The only thing I would suggest is to pull some of the bird's color out of the image and put it into the viewer's eyes along with the bird:

Regards, Nicholas
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2005
    I like that border color. I am going to have to play with that as well...

Thanks.