Options

Need help understanding

SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
edited May 11, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Even though this has been addressed numerous times (and even I started a thread about the topic), it still isn't any clearer than mud:

I'm concerned about image quality: "Saving as" keeps exif intact...but, reducing the dpi to 72 and making the size 800 on the long side reduces the image quality and takes away the color at times.

OK...this is for those with smugmug accounts only: Does the photo meet the requirements of size and pixels if it were uploaded in the original format (size and dpi) to my gallery, then linked in "L" size on the entry thread? Will the photo be disqualified or is it completely acceptable?

My entry is lacking in color, pop, clarity as the lower dpi has taken it's toll and it looks pixelated. The original of course, does not.

So, (sorry for asking this yet again)....May the original reside in one of my galleries then linked to "L" in the entry thread without any chance of disqualification?

Sorry Doc.....:dunno
Swartzy:
NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
www.daveswartz.com
Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552

Comments

• Options
    indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2007
    Swartzy wrote:
    OK...this is for those with smugmug accounts only: Does the photo meet the requirements of size and pixels if it were uploaded in the original format (size and dpi) to my gallery, then linked in "L" size on the entry thread? Will the photo be disqualified or is it completely acceptable?

So, (sorry for asking this yet again)....May the original reside in one of my galleries then linked to "L" in the entry thread without any chance of disqualification?

Yup, just link the large. Easy peasy.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2007
    If this of any help, I resize my entries manually (I mean, in PS) to fit 800x800 box, make final adjustments (sharpening/proofing), upload them to a private folder and finally link the -O file to the entry thread.
    This way I have total control over how my entries look like.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2007
    Swartzy...if ya have a SMUGGY account then size does not matter for posting here on da DGRIN.....including the CHALLENGES....unless Shay changed that, but I don'tthink he did.....cause we all know the pixies we have to view the better......

I could be all wet and wrong but i do no think so....wet yes ...we be at FLUD STAGE or FLOOD (which ever yuse prefer) and the rains just let up a bit ago.

Dang Nik....youse wasn't there when I starting typing....yeah I am slow on the keyboard
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2007
    I load the original to a gallery on my smugmug account, and then just link the L. Don't see any degradation in quality.
    If you are finiky you can use the resize plugins available for PS which do interpolation blah blah to downsize(or upsize if you want) the images.
  • Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2007
    Swartzy wrote:
    I'm concerned about image quality: "Saving as" keeps exif intact...but, reducing the dpi to 72 and making the size 800 on the long side reduces the image quality and takes away the color at times.

I might be misunderstanding above... are you saying that you resample the image and reduce it to 72 dpi then physically resize the image to 800 px on the long side? If this is the case you are shrinking, for instance a 3008x2000 px image to a 722x480 px image then you are increasing the size of that image to 800 px on the long side with constrain proportions? ( that scenario would degrade your image considerably because you are removing pixels then adding them back in) You only need to resize the image once... You never have to resize an image by decreasing it's "print" resolution (dpi), (which will change it's physical size and vise a versa). You only need to resize the physical length or width of the image and "save as" the highest jpg you can (least amount of compression)...

If I misunderstood please disregard... If you have a smug mug account... you can follow Nik's advice... I have done this myself in the past, it gives you control of sizing and interpolation of your images posted...

Winston
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2007
    Swartzy wrote:
    Even though this has been addressed numerous times (and even I started a thread about the topic), it still isn't any clearer than mud:

My entry is lacking in color, pop, clarity as the lower dpi has taken it's toll and it looks pixelated. The original of course, does not.

Sorry Doc.....ne_nau.gif

If they're lacking or changing to a duller color, check to make sure that you are saving it in a RGBs color space/profile.

If it's being saved in adobe 98 or plain RGB the colors will look dull.
    I can't tell the difference cause I use the Safari browser on the Mac. I think it's the only browser that can read the adobe 98 profile and have the file look the way it's suppose to.

I'll sure someone else can tell you where to look to find this.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2007
    Final Image Formulations
    I think this had been a very interesting set of comments about techniques to get an image properly completed and placed on LPS.

Thanks to all who have contributed; it makes future presentations become much more consistent...
    Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
    [/FONT]
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2007
    I do not recall exactly where I read the information - but ---

I am pretty sure as long as the image is no longer than 800 pixels on the longest side you can link to the O (Original) version.

What this means is you control the exact presentation and size.

EDIT: here is a thread on this subject that has a "Pimp" way to do from Andy
    http://www.digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?t=58887
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 11, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    Swartzy...if ya have a SMUGGY account then size does not matter for posting here on da DGRIN.....including the CHALLENGES....unless Shay changed that, but I don'tthink he did.....cause we all know the pixies we have to view the better......
    Careful.

SM or not, if you are linking to an image, the pixel size matters: 800pixels on the longest size.

Read the rules, you can figure out, I'm confident. nod.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]