Options

bag selection help for 30D + Grip +

robbrennerrobbrenner Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
edited May 14, 2007 in Accessories
Hi!

I am in need of a bag. I'd prefer a "fanny pack" type of thing since I can hike with it and whip it out when needed (without having to take off a backpack, set it down, open it up, whip it out, ... a real mood killer).

I am asking here b/c I am not close to any store that carries enough of a selection for me to try them out so I will likely buy online.

I have heard that a Lowepro toploader would do the job. Is this true in your experience? Are there other viable options? Thanks for any help.

Here is what I need to fit into a bag.

Canon EOS 30D
with Battery Grip
with a 70-200 f/2.8 attached to the body (or a 200 f/2.8 prime)
and a couple extra memory cards
an extra battery or two
a filter or two
and a place to hold Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

Comments

• Options
    z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2007
    Hmmmmmm... funny pack for ALL this stuff ?

It must be funny pack size of LowePro Mini Trekker on your waist ?!
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2007
    Tenba has a new line of Shootouts coming. They're not yet posted on their website, but we saw them at a show three weeks ago. The small bags come in three sizes. The middle one might work for you. I don't believe it's a waist pack, though.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Tenba has a new line of Shootouts coming. They're not yet posted on their website, but we saw them at a show three weeks ago. The small bags come in three sizes. The middle one might work for you. I don't believe it's a waist pack, though.

Thanks for the help. I found my answer here

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_SpdRcr.php
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2007
    robbrenner wrote:
    Thanks for the help. I found my answer here

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_SpdRcr.php
    thumb.gif

Once you've put it to the test, be sure to let us know what you think.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2007
    robbrenner wrote:
    Hi!

I am in need of a bag. I'd prefer a "fanny pack" type of thing since I can hike with it and whip it out when needed (without having to take off a backpack, set it down, open it up, whip it out, ... a real mood killer).

I am asking here b/c I am not close to any store that carries enough of a selection for me to try them out so I will likely buy online.

I have heard that a Lowepro toploader would do the job. Is this true in your experience? Are there other viable options? Thanks for any help.

Here is what I need to fit into a bag.

Canon EOS 30D
    with Battery Grip
    with a 70-200 f/2.8 attached to the body (or a 200 f/2.8 prime)
    and a couple extra memory cards
    an extra battery or two
    a filter or two
    and a place to hold Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
    There is thread on here asking about the same thing for a 5D....I thought a LowePro 75aw might work as it fits my KM7D + siggy 70-200 2.8 and (hard) rubber lens shade with no prob......so I went to BestBuy to try it out.....I stuffed a 5D with 80-300 and battery grip into it and there was still room left for a flash in the lower region.....

Here is my set up for 2- KM 7D's (no grips but 10 xtra batteries)/w 24-70 & 70-210 both 2.8, KM 5600 abd a garmin gps unit, a cf card case that also hold 4 extra AA batteries for the flash and various cleaning cloths and lens pens....

I have 2 LP75aw's on a military pistol belt with a pair of suspenders attached (pistol belt suspenderss) (much less than LP's belt or harness system)....I did do a little work on the belt loop of the 75 AW's.....I slid the pistol belt in and then I sewed the loop so that it was a tighter fit on the pistol belt....that kept the bag from wanting to rock forward.....his is an extremely comfortable and economical way to achive what I needed for hiking and also motorcycling.....the belt i Paid $8.00 (LP wants between $30-50 for belt / or harness) and $13 for the suspenders....okay belt and suspenders are not matching (belt is black....suspenders are sand)...but it works and was cheap....to do the stitching I used spiderwire braided fishing line (5olb test) and the curved upholtery needles from wally world all in all I have maybe $25 in my belt and harness and the 75aw's I got from SELLNSEND ON EBAY.....I have ordered and returned at least 3 bags trying to find my nearly "perfect" combo.....and never a cross word or bad feedback for returning. from SELLNSEND....

I am in the largest small town in Ks and probably the midwest......the largest camera dealer has just stocked fo the 1st time the sling shot 100 / 200...but no 300 a few M rock bags but none of the toploaders from LowePro and of course they sell everything at Suggested List Price.....I try to do business there but as I was told "we will bring in anything you want...it takes about 2 weeks and YOU have to pay shipping and a restock feE cause it ain't regular stock".....well If I have ta pay shipping just to look, I might as well buy from ebay and have a no restock fee plus no sales taxes......eek7.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    J KaceyJ Kacey Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2007
    I love my Lowepro Slingshot 300AW. It's worth checking out. B & H has free shipping right now. It's a backpack with one shoulder strap , so you can swing it right in front to get to the camera. It will also will carry your camera with the 70-200 attached.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?shs=slingshot+300&ci=0&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=RootPage.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t
  • Options
    hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2007
    My 2¢ worth: I would love to use a convenient "fanny pack" of some kind, except for one problem: None that I have been able to find fit those of us with ample waists (middle age spread) ... you know, people who have a problem keeping their pants up because they have more waist than hips. They do not even give waist-fit measurements in the on-line listings. Moreover, few have supporting suspenders which are necessary when hips are narrow and belly is broad after flying a desk for the better part of 4 decades.

So I tend to use Canon's own padded Zoom Pack 1000 holster case which was designed for and amply fits larger full sized 35mm SLR cameras and an attached medium zoom lens ... works great with my dSLRs when I need to use a case and actually does (barely) fit around my belly with its built-in waist strap and tightened shoulder strap acting like a suspender.

The negative ... obviously not big enough for everything I may need to carry, and the gosh-awful army-green and black color scheme Canon loves for its various SLR bags and cases sucks. The main positive is I can safely protect my camera from the elements or carry it protectively encased while hiking to/from a shooting site yet quickly remove the camera for a fast shot. And, like Canon's own backpack case, it is inexpensive yet padded and built to high standards.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2007
    I love my Lowepro Slingshot 300AW. It's worth checking out. B & H has free shipping right now. It's a backpack with one shoulder strap , so you can swing it right in front to get to the camera. It will also will carry your camera with the 70-200 attached.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?shs=slingshot+300&ci=0&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=RootPage.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t

Jerry,

The one thing I have heard about that one is that all the weight is on one shoulder and it hurts you after a while? What is the longest time you have carried it around??

Rob
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2007
    The most at one time has been about 4 hours. When it is completely full I use the waist belt and tighten it up. That put's the weight on my hips and the bag is snug in the small of my back. With the waist belt, there is very little weight of my shoulder at all. I've not had a problem. Being able to have on my back, then swing it to the front is awesome.......
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2007
    The most at one time has been about 4 hours. When it is completely full I use the waist belt and tighten it up. That put's the weight on my hips and the bag is snug in the small of my back. With the waist belt, there is very little weight of my shoulder at all. I've not had a problem. Being able to have on my back, then swing it to the front is awesome.......

Thanks Jerry! I am about to order one. I think it may be the one that best fits my needs.

Rob
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2007
    I think you'll be real happy...... Let me know how you like it
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2007
    I had to the the route I mentioned above because I needed a way to have an actual backpack on when backpacking or traveling on motorcycle...so the slings just wouldn't cut it for me. I do say tho the 300 aw looks great in all other ways....now if it was just water proof and floatable:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited May 13, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    now if it was just water proof and floatable:D
    In that case Lowerpro has me covered also. This one I really love when conditions need it. Check this one out Art

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/251100-REG/Lowepro_2008020_DryZone_200_Backpack_Gray_.html
  • Options
    Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2007
    Why not just carry it? It seems like a strange kit... but im sure u could find a small bag for your 28-135 is, and batteries... while you carry the body and 70-200...
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.