Options

What I've learned about white backgrounds!

tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
edited January 31, 2005 in Technique
I've been playing around trying to get some studio shots with a totally white background. Here is a shot that shows basically what I'm going for. This was a series of test shots that I did earlier tonight.

15014410-M.jpg

Notice the total lack of detail in the background and foreground. Cool huh!
Well the first problem I have is that my "studio" is really small. The background must be overexposed by about 2 stops to get this effect. In a small space it is difficult to get the subject far enough away from the background to avoid overspill like found on the following shot.

15014407-M.jpg

My solution to this problem is to reduce the background exposure so that it is just barely blown and to use PS CS to clean up the rest of the background/foreground. I do this with a white brush that is fairly large. As long as the background immediately adjacent to the subject is pure white, it is easy to clean up the rest of the frame. By increasing the canvas size I can add as much negative space as I need.

Here is a picture of the background without enough exposure to white is out completely. Notice the distracting wrinkles etc. It is just a plain white muslin.

15014408-M.jpg

I hope this helps someone out there understand this technique a little better. I'm certainly no expert, and if anyone has any comments or additional tips please feel free to post them. My "studio" is very low budget, but if you get creative you can get some neat images.
Thomas :D

TML Photography
tmlphoto.com

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2005
    nice.

i've found that if i overexpose the bg at shoot, i'm also overexposing the subject too much.

here's how i've dealt with it in post:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=4963
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2005
    andy wrote:
    nice.

i've found that if i overexpose the bg at shoot, i'm also overexposing the subject too much.

here's how i've dealt with it in post:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=4963
    Thanks for the link Andy. I'll have to try your technique. I think the trick to getting it right in camera is to position your subject well away from the background, especially if it is reflective at all. Have you used your technique on any portraits?

Here is one of my earlier attempts at this technique. No photoshop on this one, but the refected light from the background is a little much. If I could have moved the kids another 3 or 4 feet away from the background I think it would have been alot better. Alas, my "studio" is really small. Not really a studio at all really :D .

15016453-M.jpg
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2005
    Trial and error and shoot shoot and then shoot some more is a great learning tool.

Have you been to the lighting forum on Dpreview? The people in there are REALLY good with the lighting in portrait work! I am sure they could really help you. Here is a link to the Lighting Forum.

Tim
    www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2005
    A roll of white seamless paper will help out a lot and it is not too expensive, here is one brand B+H offers. They come in a few different widths too. You can find it at the larger photography stores in Atlanta, might be cheaper that shipping if you come up this way.
  • Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2005
    I know exactly what you're dealing with in the small, low budget studio. Thanks for the tips. I'm thinking about getting rolls of white, gray, and black paper to see where they'll take me.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72