Image>mode>duotone
selcted Black and orange 144
adjusted the curves slightly

added noise

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2005
    Sorta sitting here screwing my face up you know gubbs Re the noise...yes..no...yes...no..too much sky then i saw the shadow. Good one....love it but still is there too much sky ?

You have to get up close to appresh...apreshia...get to know it.
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2005
    Beautiful Gubbs! Looks like a painting!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Sorta sitting here screwing my face up you know gubbs Re the noise...yes..no...yes...no..too much sky then i saw the shadow. Good one....love it but still is there too much sky ?

'gus I wasn't sure about the sky either, but I liked the the 3 distinct layers it gives ne_nau.gif.
    I've taken a lot of pictures of the castle recently, as I only work about 1/2 mile away, so I can shoot just before work and should be able to just afterwards as well soon, so I thought I'd have a play around with this one in an attempt to get something a little different
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2005
    Nir wrote:
    Thanks very much Nir thumb.gif
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2005
    Great shot Gubbs, the more I look at it the more I like it. thumb.gif

Ed
    gubbs wrote:
    14680720-L.jpg

Image>mode>grayscale
    Image>mode>duotone

added noise
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2005
    Nir wrote:
    Totally...great use of noise...too rare lately, everyone tries to make everything so clean and the shot ends up losing its soul/edge. Nice colours too...
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2005
    Humungus wrote:

You crack me up.... rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2005
    gubbs wrote:
    14680720-L.jpg

Image>mode>grayscale
    Image>mode>duotone

added noise

I like the shot, I like the noise, I like the duotone, I like the walker on the left. I am not sure about the sky. Man that is a lot of sky....
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited January 25, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    I like the shot, I like the noise, I like the duotone, I like the walker on the left. I am not sure about the sky. Man that is a lot of sky....
    And the subject - for me at least as a Colonial - is the castle, not the sky....
    I'd crop most of the sky and some of the grass in the foreground, but then...... ne_nau.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2005
    I think the sky adds a great deal to the mood of the shot. I say, leave it in!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    phyfer1phyfer1 Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2005
    gubbs wrote:
    14680720-L.jpg

Image>mode>grayscale
    Image>mode>duotone

added noise
    I'm just a beginner, but I like to tone. I agree with the three layer affect.
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2005
    headscratch.gif not sure now rolleyes1.gif
    Got everyone thinking anyway, Thanks for all the comments thumb.gif
  • Options
    yvonneyvonne Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    Yup, my thoughts exactly
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2005
    don't change a thing
    this shot is gubbsie-licious thumb.gif

how many shots are there of this place? about 8,236,879 give or take. 8,230,000 of them are roughly the same, the sort you'd find in a tourist book or on a postcard. this one speaks differently. you've got a foil, the person & dog, that is tremendous... the sky to me adds a visual benefit that speaks to the size and scale of the the castle... and the importance of it. the cloud formation, at that angle, and a bonus from mother nature that you cleverly used to your advantage here. the duotone is nice, and i like it becuase it's also different than the rest of the shots i've seen of this joint before.

thanks for giving me my money's worth and then some!

ps: regarding the noise - all too often folks worry way to much about this imo... sure, in many types of shots we want to have razor sharpness, and minimal noise. but remember back to film, and in particular the prints we made from film, why this looks like an hour's worth or work in the darkroom, to me.

well done, gubbsulator, well done! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2005
    andy wrote:
    this shot is gubbsie-licious thumb.gif

how many shots are there of this place? about 8,236,879 give or take. 8,230,000 of them are roughly the same, the sort you'd find in a tourist book or on a postcard. this one speaks differently. you've got a foil, the person & dog, that is tremendous... the sky to me adds a visual benefit that speaks to the size and scale of the the castle... and the importance of it. the cloud formation, at that angle, and a bonus from mother nature that you cleverly used to your advantage here. the duotone is nice, and i like it becuase it's also different than the rest of the shots i've seen of this joint before.

thanks for giving me my money's worth and then some!

ps: regarding the noise - all too often folks worry way to much about this imo... sure, in many types of shots we want to have razor sharpness, and minimal noise. but remember back to film, and in particular the prints we made from film, why this looks like an hour's worth or work in the darkroom, to me.

well done, gubbsulator, well done! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Wow, thanks andy, are you just trying to soften me up so that I'll agree to this.

"gubbsie-licious" rolleyes1.gif I'll have to remember that one!!