>>> Last Photographer Standing (Discussion)

Comments

• Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Dear Charlie,
    as you may or may not know, I was raised and for the long time have lived in USSR during the communist regime. I happen know from my very own personal experience and the experience of my own family and close relatives and friends what does it mean to NOT have a freedom. rolleyes1.gif

In soviet Russia, photographs take you! lol3.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    In soviet Russia, photographs take you! lol3.gif
    Sorta, mate..lol3.gif
    Howz GB treating ya? Eathquakes, me hear.. eek7.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • padupadu Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2007
    Gary Glass wrote:
    snip...
    (Also, I'd be way out of my class. Gotta box your weight.) Still, I'm enjoying what the participants are submitting. Great stuff.

Don't worry mate, everybody is here to learn...
    http://padu.merlotti.com
    http://padu.smugmug.com
    www.merlotti.com
    Sony dslr A100, Minolta Maxxum 7000, Voighlander Bessa R and Calumet 4x5 View Camera
  • amy wilburnamy wilburn Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited April 30, 2007
    re: photoshopping images
    I personally love to PS my pics (don't hate me), have a degree from an art school, think photography is an art, love the LPS challenges, and am so happy that the powers-that-be behind the contest allow 'playing' with my pics. I look forward to each new challenge, try not to be intimidated by all the great competition out there, and seem to have developed a fondness for run-on sentences today. At the end of the day (read: each individual contest) I am often so happy to have a photograph that - - if not for the LPS contest - - I would not have taken (and 'tampered' with).

I also like things about both Macs and PCs - - gasp!

iloveyou.gif (love, not lust)
    amy
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    thebigsky wrote:
    As far as I'm concerned a photograph is not a photograph if it contains elements that weren't there when the shutter was released.
    Charlie

IMHO there is a big difference between a photographer and a graphic artist. But it would impossible to have a photography competition and exclude images that required a lot of time in Photoshop to produce.

Competitions like this one push me to try harder, and to get better at all the things that I have to do before I press the shutter release. I have to bring my "A" game so that I can compete with those who are gifted in the fine art of photo manipulation, and when I place the victory is just that much sweeter... :cool
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
  • indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    Dalantech wrote:
    Competitions like this one push me to try harder, and to get better at all the things that I have to do before I press the shutter release. I have to bring my "A" game so that I can compete with those who are gifted in the fine art of photo manipulation, and when I place the victory is just that much sweeter... :cool

I also think that there is room for many genres of photography in this contest. We have our PShopy ones, we have the photojournalist-style ones, we have portrait-y ones. I tend to PS my images only for color balance and cropping. Even though I'm technically up against others who have more graphic art skills, our images are pretty much apples to oranges. I'm okay with that. It's a big, wide world and the contest seems to have room for us all.
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    indiegirl wrote:
    I also think that there is room for many genres of photography in this contest. We have our PShopy ones, we have the photojournalist-style ones, we have portrait-y ones... It's a big, wide world and the contest seems to have room for us all.

There is room! Part of the problem with some traditional contests is they get too narrowly defined to the point of being predictable and boring, and in time, less relavant to what is contemporory.

Art is ever evolving, and by having a contest that is flexible and can encourage and accept "unconventional" entries, we all get to see what people are thinking and coming up with. It may or may not win a contest, but it might inspire someone to make the next step in the next new thing that sweeps the art world.

And it all could start here.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2007
    There is room! Part of the problem with some traditional contests is they get too narrowly defined to the point of being predictable and boring, and in time, less relavant to what is contemporory.

Art is ever evolving, and by having a contest that is flexible and can encourage and accept "unconventional" entries, we all get to see what people are thinking and coming up with. It may or may not win a contest, but it might inspire someone to make the next step in the next new thing that sweeps the art world.

And it all could start here.

...and we all get a chance to learn something new... :cool
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
  • photmanphotman Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited May 4, 2007
    Question regarding my entry in contest 4
    I happened to submit a photo for contest 4 (Man Made - Chaos). The previous one. Can anyone out there kindly tell me as to whether my photograph met the eligible criteria. Like number of pixels, size, exif embedding etc. Just want to make sure that I dont goof just because am not able to meet the rules.

Many Thanks
    Photman
    Photman
    edited May 4, 2007
    photman wrote:
    I happened to submit a photo for contest 4 (Man Made - Chaos). The previous one. Can anyone out there kindly tell me as to whether my photograph met the eligible criteria. Like number of pixels, size, exif embedding etc. Just want to make sure that I dont goof just because am not able to meet the rules.

Many Thanks
    Photman

Link? ne_nau.gif
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 4, 2007
    photman wrote:

Many Thanks
    Photman
    I would let you know if I disqualified your photo. I've only had to do (I think) 2 in the entire contest so far.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• annsanannsan Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited May 13, 2007
    have entry - can't figure out how to post it
    Andy -
    I'm really confused - I have a photo I shot today
    for the latest theme but still can't figure out how to
    post it.

I'm really unused to thso kind of posting - any other
    list I'm on just lets me send email the normal way

Should I put the photo I want to enter on my smigmug site and link to it in email? or send as an attachment?

Hope you are around

Best,
    annsan

p.s. if you can tell me how to stop all the blinking
    symbols it would be nice too
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2007
    annsan wrote:
    Andy -
    post it.

Should I put the photo I want to enter on my smigmug site and link to it in email? or send as an attachment?

Hope you are around

Best,
    annsan

Annsan-
    Follow this link to a detailed review of how to post on dgrin:
    http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1083138
    E
    edited May 14, 2007
    annsan wrote:
    Andy -
    post it.
    If you read the rules, anything that is underlined is a link to all the help we know how to give you, here:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=493111&postcount=2
    this isn't "any other list", this is the ultimate contest! naughty.gif
    Erik

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2007
    annsan wrote:

You don't like my wink? lol3.gif

Ann, you can use Firefox browser, and set it to not display animated gifs if you like wings.gif
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    DaveK wrote:
    I had titled this "Lost"

It's really nice, you're gonna be a contender. It's got kind of a loose connection to the themes (i'm assuming this would be translucent?) In the future you probably want to post in a separate thread, so that you can get proper feedback.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • DaveKDaveK Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    It's really nice, you're gonna be a contender. It's got kind of a loose connection to the themes (i'm assuming this would be translucent?) In the future you probably want to post in a separate thread, so that you can get proper feedback.

Thanks for your encouragement. I will be sure to get in the loop earlier for next year's competition, it will be lots of fun.

I appreciate your suggestion as well to post to another forum and need to better understand where that is, so I will look through those. I am a bit confused now though as I do not see my post anymore under this forum, not sure what happened to it, oh well I will do some more reading to better understand the dynamics of the forums.
    Dave Keith
    "Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take photographs." -- Helmut Newton
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    Semi-final question
    Okay, so for the qualifying rounds entrants are asking general opinions and running polls during the submission period. What about the semi-finals? I assume there is no rule against this, but this is kind of asking the judges opinion (at least some of them) prior to judging. Just curious...I've never been a part of anything like this before (and it's my understanding, that there's never been anything quite like this before!).

Once again, thanks for this...it is just so incredibly inspiring!

Emily
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

edited May 15, 2007
    Okay, so for the qualifying rounds entrants are asking general opinions and running polls during the submission period. What about the semi-finals? I assume there is no rule against this, but this is kind of asking the judges opinion (at least some of them) prior to judging. Just curious...I've never been a part of anything like this before (and it's my understanding, that there's never been anything quite like this before!).

Emily

Good question, which I'd like to second. Another question: Am I understanding the process correctly: once all entries are in and the semi-final is closed there will be a large poll (of all the photos), and each person on the forum will get one vote?
    edited May 15, 2007
    Good question, which I'd like to second. Another question: Am I understanding the process correctly: once all entries are in and the semi-final is closed there will be a large poll (of all the photos), and each person on the forum will get one vote?
    1. Judges are selected for a reason, they are good shooters with level heads. Shay wouldn't pick someone that will be influenced or affected by all the "noise" that goes on before the contest closes.

2. No, you have it wrong. the Semifinal is considered a "contest". Straight from the rules:
    • There will be four, 12 week cycles each year. Each cycle consists of 6 contests: 5 qualifying rounds and 1 semifinal.
    • A once-yearly Grand Finale will determine the Last Photographer Standing.
    • At the end of each contest, 10 finalists will be selected by a panel of judges. An open vote determines a winner for each semifinal. The Grand Finale winner is determined by open vote alone.
    Erik

edited May 15, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    1. Judges are selected for a reason, they are good shooters with level heads. Shay wouldn't pick someone that will be influenced or affected by all the "noise" that goes on before the contest closes.

2. No, you have it wrong. the Semifinal is considered a "contest". Straight from the rules:
    [/list]

Oh, well then, that make much more sense now. Thank you for the clarification.
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    Then you will be posting a list of the judges soon?
    edited May 15, 2007
    seastack wrote:
    Then you will be posting a list of the judges soon?
    Yes. But what does it matter? We don't need them until may 28th. deal.gif
    Erik

edited May 15, 2007
    Emily,

Emily

If I read the rules correctly, it is still judges who decide on top ten for SF.
    Only then it becomes a Public Choice Award matter.
    And in that sense it may well become a little of the popularity contest, too.

As it's been pointed out many times by Shay and the others, this contest is not an academic exercise in photo taking or postprocessing. It's been designed after the real life, and, just as in the real life, your "popularity" may play a huge role in your buiness success.

I'm not saying a lousy photo by some "popular" person will take over a great shot submitted by a total newcomer, but if both shots are equally great or are at least in the same ballpark... Well, I can see that in the latter case I would personally vote for a person I know and like better. deal.gif

Just my 0.0002 of the f/stop, fwiw...
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    To add to the chaos: when I was a judge of #4, only 3 of the photos I picked were chosen overall, and 2 were on my low end (basically picked to fill up my top 10). Only one of the shots I picked to be in the top 5 was chosen for the top 5. Just to let you know that the judges aren't necessarily united. And to let you know that many shots are probably chosen by judges that don't make the FINAL cut - the average. My shot for #5 featured a dancer wearing a translucent shirt. In my world, it was a great shot. But, tastes differ.
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    damonff wrote:
    To add to the chaos: when I was a judge of #4, only 3 of the photos I picked were chosen overall, and 2 were on my low end (basically picked to fill up my top 10). Only one of the shots I picked to be in the top 5 was chosen for the top 5. Just to let you know that the judges aren't necessarily united. And to let you know that many shots are probably chosen by judges that don't make the FINAL cut - the average. My shot for #5 featured a dancer wearing a translucent shirt. In my world, it was a great shot. But, tastes differ.

Very Interesting, thanks for the hindsight! I would have loved to have seen your original #5 shot, as I wanted to do a translucency of a female "beach" also.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    Tentacion wrote:
    I would have loved to have seen your original #5 shot, as I wanted to do a translucency of a female "beach" also.

This is mine:

149278909-L.jpg

...and this is my wife's:

152361113-L.jpg
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    If I read the rules correctly, it is still judges who decide on top ten for SF. Only then it becomes a Public Choice Award matter.
    And in that sense it may well become a little of the popularity contest, too.

Thanks Nikolai and DoctorIT. Panel of judges picks the top 10 of semifinal, then a public choice sorts those first to last, right?.

I like the way this contest is run. I just want to make sure that if I flunk out, it's because my shot was crap and not just because I misunderstood it. :D As with any contest, there are people who will feel it is fair and people who will feel it's not. Either way, I'm having fun shooting!

Emily
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

edited May 15, 2007
    Panel of judges picks the top 10 of semifinal, then a public choice sorts those first to last, right?
    Right.
    Erik

• seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Yes. But what does it matter? We don't need them until may 28th. deal.gif

At the risk of getting an answer, I have to ask ... So, what happened?