Options

Picture of a friend

OneEyedJackOneEyedJack Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
edited May 16, 2007 in People
4v30snq.png

I shot this at dusk with a canon 350D with kit lens (EF-S 18-55mm) at 24mm with an ISO of 200 and Shutter speed of 125 in Tv mode.

Im VERY new to photography, so any c&c is welcome!

Comments

• Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    4v30snq.png

I shot this at dusk with a canon 350D with kit lens (EF-S 18-55mm) at 24mm with an ISO of 200 and Shutter speed of 125 in Tv mode.

Im VERY new to photography, so any c&c is welcome!

For whatever its worth, i have two sons one, college age. whenever they take images they are always on the "angle" - they prefer it that way. as a matter of fact the more i see theirs and their friends images that they take they are always slanted ( the horizon, or streets etc. are crooked ). and i like the way they come out - personally i wouldnt change it. im only mentioning this insignificant comment because well when i 1st started out - i was often told to straighten out my pics.......

Also im not sure why you used Tv mode ( im no expert) but i think Av mode would be more appropriate in this situation. Ive always reserved Tv mode for times when Im trying to capture / distort motion, flight, action. etc....

troy
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2007
    Yeah, he asked me to take his photo, then leaned over the table So in order to get his face in the center of the frame i had to tilt the background. I was shooting in Tv mode because that day i was shooting paintball, and during a break from the action he just randomly asked for a photo, so i didnt think to switch modes, reset the f spot, etc...
  • Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    Yeah, he asked me to take his photo, then leaned over the table So in order to get his face in the center of the frame i had to tilt the background. I was shooting in Tv mode because that day i was shooting paintball, and during a break from the action he just randomly asked for a photo, so i didnt think to switch modes, reset the f spot, etc...

then i think its a great random photo that captures expression and the sunlight is sweet. and now that i understand the circumstances under which you took the pic, it explains a lot!
    when i look at a pic, i try to think out loud to myself, how would i take that pic and Tv mode would not have come initially into mind.

troy
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2007
    If you dont mind me asking, What are the advantages of Av mode over Tv mode for shooting people?
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    AV mode vs. TV mode
    In AV mode (aperature priority) you set the aperature (for depth of field desired) and the camera decides the shutter speed. In TV mode, you set the shutter speed and the camera determines according aperature. For portrait work you'll typically want to use a larger aperature (as in a smaller number, i.e. f/4, f/5.6) as the background will be blured more so than if you shoot say f/11. The whole idea of course is that the background doesn't conflict with your subject, drawing the eye to a car or tree instead of your portrait.

Also, if you shoot in RAW, your colors/white balance are easily corrected. Here in this shot, red/magenta is ruling the skin tones. I realize the sun is shining on him but that can be corrected as a JPeg as well.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2007
    thanks for the tips. ill read up more on how to shoot in RAW format...it seems to be the better option