Options

Hollywood at night.

DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
edited January 31, 2005 in Landscapes
Well, inspired by dkapp and others, I decided to take a shot at some night photography. So, standing on the roof of the parking garage at work (while Ed McMahon was interviewed below me--I work in the CNN building and he was talking outside to reporters about Johnny), I took these shots. Just learning, but what do you think? Any technical comments? Creative?

EDIT: EXIFs added per Fish's request. What Fish wants, Fish gets. All shot on Canon 20D, RAW processed with Capture One Pro, minor curves tweaking in PS.

Aperture:f/16.0 ISO:100 Focal Length:70mm Exposure Time: 2.5s (25/10)
Exposure Program: Aperture priority Exposure Bias:-2 EXIF Test
14771360-M.jpg

Aperture:f/16.0 ISO:100 Focal Length:75mm Exposure Time:2s (2/1) Exposure Program:Aperture priority Exposure Bias:-0.66666666666667
14771428-M.jpg

Aperture:f/16.0 ISO:100 Focal Length:122mm Exposure Time:4s (4/1) Exposure Program:Aperture priority Exposure Bias:-0.66666666666667
14771393-M.jpg

Aperture:f/16.0 ISO:100 Focal Length:70mm Exposure Time:1s (1/1) Exposure Program:Aperture priority Exposure Bias:-1.6666666666667
14771458-M.jpg
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• Options
    edited January 25, 2005
    Bump for comments. Help me learn how to do night photography! This is my first outing. What do I need to know?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2005
    I don't know much about night photography... I like the first the best - the blue glow is pretty cool looking. And the composition is a little more interesting, I think, with the blue dome adding a balance to the photo. I've been planning on heading over to the top of the parking garage at the arclight - Is that the same one you took these shots from? I always thought it'd be a great place for some night shots, or some dusk evening shots. Looks like you beat me to it! I was considering looking the other way, too... Did you take any shots that way by any chance?

Now I've got to make a trip to my favorite record store.
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2005
    gregneil wrote:
    I don't know much about night photography... I like the first the best - the blue glow is pretty cool looking. And the composition is a little more interesting, I think, with the blue dome adding a balance to the photo. I've been planning on heading over to the top of the parking garage at the arclight - Is that the same one you took these shots from? I always thought it'd be a great place for some night shots, or some dusk evening shots. Looks like you beat me to it! I was considering looking the other way, too... Did you take any shots that way by any chance?

Now I've got to make a trip to my favorite record store.

It's the parking garage across Cahuenga from the Arclight, behind the CNN Building where I work.

Let's set up a night shoot sometime if we can.

PM me if you're interested, maybe we can set it up for after work during the week?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2005
    I like the last one. Could you have used a longer exposure and got the light streams from traffic going by both ways?
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    I like the last one. Could you have used a longer exposure and got the light streams from traffic going by both ways?

Maybe. Might have needed an ND filter for that. Also, I had very little control over when the shutter released, as I was using the timer to minimize shake. Seeing as the remote for this camera is so friggin' expensive, I was forced to rely on the timer.

If I get the wired release I might have more luck with working the timing out with the traffic signals.

There were also people walking in the frame, but you can't see them at all!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Maybe. Might have needed an ND filter for that. Also, I had very little control over when the shutter released, as I was using the timer to minimize shake. Seeing as the remote for this camera is so friggin' expensive, I was forced to rely on the timer.

If I get the wired release I might have more luck with working the timing out with the traffic signals.

There were also people walking in the frame, but you can't see them at all!
    In the good-old-days we used to use bulb and put our hand in front of the lens if the cars were stopping. Somewhere I have a 30 minute night shot of the falls at Yosemite from 1978.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2005
    David, it seems like you've got night photography nailed. Those are terrific shots. EXIF pls?
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2005
    fish wrote:
    David, it seems like you've got night photography nailed. Those are terrific shots. EXIF pls?

See first post.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    See first post.
    thx. wow...f16 on all, huh? tre cool. thumb.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited January 31, 2005
    I think these are great, especially the first frame. I live just blocks away from the Arclight and now wish I had beaten you to the punch! rolleyes1.gif
    Angelo

DavidTO wrote:
    Well, inspired by dkapp and others, I decided to take a shot at some night photography. So, standing on the roof of the parking garage at work (while Ed McMahon was interviewed below me--I work in the CNN building and he was talking outside to reporters about Johnny), I took these shots. Just learning, but what do you think? Any technical comments? Creative?

EDIT: EXIFs added per Fish's request. What Fish wants, Fish gets. All shot on Canon 20D, RAW processed with Capture One Pro, minor curves tweaking in PS.

Aperture:f/16.0 ISO:100 Focal Length:70mm Exposure Time: 2.5s (25/10)
    Exposure Program: Aperture priority Exposure Bias:-2 EXIF Test
    14771360-M.jpg

Aperture:f/16.0 ISO:100 Focal Length:75mm Exposure Time:2s (2/1) Exposure Program:Aperture priority Exposure Bias:-0.66666666666667
    14771428-M.jpg

Aperture:f/16.0 ISO:100 Focal Length:122mm Exposure Time:4s (4/1) Exposure Program:Aperture priority Exposure Bias:-0.66666666666667
    14771393-M.jpg

Aperture:f/16.0 ISO:100 Focal Length:70mm Exposure Time:1s (1/1) Exposure Program:Aperture priority Exposure Bias:-1.6666666666667
    14771458-M.jpg