Options

Sunset At Yosemite Lake

Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
edited May 17, 2007 in Landscapes
My wife and I decided to go out to Yosemite Lake in Merced California for sunset. It was 7:15 pm and I wanted to be there already. We got half way there and I forgot my CF Card…oh great! I thought about just going back home and go some other time, but I haven’t been out with my wife in a long time, so we went back to the house and got my CF Card. Got there about 8 PM…almost too dark. My wife saw a nice place to shoot. I had to hurry, so I just stayed in the car…the wheelchair takes too much time.

I decided to try some HDR shots. I quickly composed one shot and took 24 shots. The wind was a factor, so I didn’t do a HDR. Instead I processed 3 different shots and blended them in CS2.

Like I said, this was more of a test or an outing than I thought-out shoot. I plan on going back again, this time with my CF Card and some more time so I can get out of the van and “explore”!

YosemiteLake_post.jpg
Sunset At Yosemite Lake ~ Yosemite Lake; Merced, California
Canon 300D, 17-40 f/4L @ 17mm, Tripod/Cable Release
ISO 100, f/8, 3 exposures/blended 0.5 / 4 / 8 seconds

Comments

• Options
    philiphutsonphiliphutson Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2007
    Well since you bumped it :D. The flowers on the edge would be a better foreground subject. The other thing to look for would be just colors. I don't remember where that lake is but if you get the tule fog there (I used to live in Visalia) try it then so all you have is colors and texture (very William Neil).
    Well back to the shot you posted. I'm not thrilled with the grass. The reflection of the trees would be good to see more complete. Next time move closer to the edge of the lake.
    -Philip
    If you want to see paradise simply look around and see it.
    -Willy Wonka
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2007
    Well since you bumped it :D. The flowers on the edge would be a better foreground subject. The other thing to look for would be just colors. I don't remember where that lake is but if you get the tule fog there (I used to live in Visalia) try it then so all you have is colors and texture (very William Neil).
    Well back to the shot you posted. I'm not thrilled with the grass. The reflection of the trees would be good to see more complete. Next time move closer to the edge of the lake.
    -Philip
    Thanks Philip! Like I said on my post, this was a quick shot(s) before the sunset went too dark. I'm in a wheelchair, so I didn't get out of the car that time, but when I have more time I'm going to get out of the van and look for a better location.

We have lots of Tule Fog, but not this time of the year.
  • Options
    philiphutsonphiliphutson Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2007
    Thanks Philip! Like I said on my post, this was a quick shot(s) before the sunset went too dark. I'm in a wheelchair, so I didn't get out of the car that time, but when I have more time I'm going to get out of the van and look for a better location.

We have lots of Tule Fog, but not this time of the year.

I went to google maps to see where the lake is now I understand my confusion. I was thinking of the yosemite lakes community up in coarsegold. I think I could tell where you were shooting from. Looks like a west facing parking lot near a building with the water coming right up to the edge of the parking lot. Looks like there is a lot of potential there thumb.gif.
    -Philip
    If you want to see paradise simply look around and see it.
    -Willy Wonka
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2007
    I went to google maps to see where the lake is now I understand my confusion. I was thinking of the yosemite lakes community up in coarsegold. I think I could tell where you were shooting from. Looks like a west facing parking lot near a building with the water coming right up to the edge of the parking lot. Looks like there is a lot of potential there thumb.gif.
    -Philip

Yep...lots of potantial...just have to get there again! Probably Going to try again Friday evening. :D
  • Options
    Bob&GlennieBob&Glennie Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    Hi Mike, I saw this on NPN. If it was me, and if I could go back I'd eliminate the entire right hand 2/3's of the picture. To me, the appeal is the little inlet. I'd put the flowers in the foreground and frame the scene with the two largest trees or possibly, let the right hand out as far as the little shrub which is now dead center. Let the inlet lead your eye out into the lake and with the right light it would be real nice.

I'm sorry to hear that you are confined to a chair. I sincerely hope that it's not serious and you'll with be up and about soon.

Bob
    See with your Heart
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2007
    Hi Mike, I saw this on NPN. If it was me, and if I could go back I'd eliminate the entire right hand 2/3's of the picture. To me, the appeal is the little inlet. I'd put the flowers in the foreground and frame the scene with the two largest trees or possibly, let the right hand out as far as the little shrub which is now dead center. Let the inlet lead your eye out into the lake and with the right light it would be real nice.

I'm sorry to hear that you are confined to a chair. I sincerely hope that it's not serious and you'll with be up and about soon.

Bob

Thanks Bob! I'm counting the days!