Options

Ookpik?

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited May 17, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
I found a quarter today with aan ookpik on it. when I was very small I had boots with ookpiks on them. i have very fond memories of those boots, and of ookpiks.

I have spent alot of time thinking about what to name my photo business. I've stuck with the obvious Ann McRae Photography because I just couldn't come up with something unique, but personal.

Do you think ookpik is it?

ann

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:
    I found a quarter today with aan ookpik on it. when I was very small I had boots with ookpiks on them. i have very fond memories of those boots, and of ookpiks.

I have spent alot of time thinking about what to name my photo business. I've stuck with the obvious Ann McRae Photography because I just couldn't come up with something unique, but personal.

Do you think ookpik is it?

ann

Ann,
    you made me look the word up. :D
    I can see it being a nice symbol, although I'm afraid you're not the first Canandian who'd think of that... ne_nau.gif
    I can see "Ookpik photography" (or "Ooppik Pix") being a brand studio name, but my initial gut reaction would be that you're a birder (which I think you're not). I guess it does not tell much for a person with such a different cultural background. You gotta run it by what your local friends think.
    Sorry for not helping rolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited May 17, 2007
    Ann, I am almost afraid to ask (even if I can google it), but what is an ookpik?

EDIT:
    lol3.gif Nik beat me by 0 minutes.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2007
    Ookpik is the inuit or inuk (not sure which) name for the snowy owl. When I was a kid, there was a TV show with Ookpik and also toys, and novelty items like Ookpik winter boots - I had a pair. I suspect that all middle aged Canadians would know Ookpik, possibly in the same warm and fuzzy way I do.

Since, according to the newspaper article, most MWACs use their own name, I was thinking I should do something different.

ann
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2007
    A name is what you make of it. So no matter what that name is, once it becomes associated with you and your work, it can start working for you.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie