Options

Outdoor light test

evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
edited May 17, 2007 in People
Hi.

1. Her boyfriend is away in the military and sent these flowers to her job. Needing some practice with lighting, I asked her if I could take her picture and I'd give her copies in exchange that she could send her boyfriend. Time was an issue otherwise I would've picked a better spot and different pose.
153193689-L.jpg

153193695-L.jpg

3. Another one of our friends decided to get in on the fun.
153193699-L.jpg

153193710-L.jpg

I'm seeking C&C on these shots specifically for the lighting. This was a pretty harsh 5PM light, even under the tree. These are flash filled with 580ex and lightsphere.
Thanks!
Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    Loose the LS for outdoor shots. It just wastes light and doesn't give anything back in return.

These look really good! As you specifically asked for lighting C&C ... I'm thinking that you might have done better with a negative EC as your backgrounds are just a touch overexposed. The flash level looks just about spot-on.thumb.gif
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    Loose the LS for outdoor shots. It just wastes light and doesn't give anything back in return.

These look really good! As you specifically asked for lighting C&C ... I'm thinking that you might have done better with a negative EC as your backgrounds are just a touch overexposed. The flash level looks just about spot-on.thumb.gif

15524779-Ti.gif

The thing with the lightspere is especially outdoors, you're losing all kinds of light since there aren't walls or ceilings to bounce off and your light is scattered 360 degrees. There's a very cheap and easy alternative some folks on the lighting forum over at dpreview.com came up with-- a DIY craft foam diffuser. Throws all the light forward and seems to work well outdoors. Cost is under $5. Search "fun foam" and you should find dozens of posts there.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2007
    Thanks for the comments. I'll be working on it more soon as the sun comes back out!
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

The thing with the lightspere is especially outdoors, you're losing all kinds of light since there aren't walls or ceilings to bounce off and your light is scattered 360 degrees. There's a very cheap and easy alternative some folks on the lighting forum over at dpreview.com came up with-- a DIY craft foam diffuser. Throws all the light forward and seems to work well outdoors. Cost is under $5. Search "fun foam" and you should find dozens of posts there.
    This is so true when you build it like a scoop, where none of the light just "goes up". Could work really cool. And for cheap too!