LPS Ponderings

2»

Comments

• wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    I also agree regarding the judging. There were definately some pictures which I would have thought would be thrown out....but were picked!!

I am not the best photographer, but I can, like everyone else, see the BS shots.

I didn't enter the last challenge only cause of this issue. Some shots that I thought should definately merit winning didn't. It is odd and perhaps it is life.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
    From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
    Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    Hey Emily,

Don't you dare quit! :nono Your photos are lovely! I particularly like #6, which is the vintage-looking one. thumb.gif
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    Thanks so much Linda and Virginia for the kind words of encouragement. I think I just need to get a good night of sleep and hopefully wake up with a fresh outlook.

What I wonder is...who and when will the first SF post be??? Will someone put something up soon, or are they all waiting until the last minute? The suspense is awesome!

Emily
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    I have thoroughly enjoyed all of your responses too. It really does make me feel connected. I love LiquidAir's methodical process and positive suggestions. I wish I could put that much time and energy into it, but at this season in my life, my children have to come first and they take a tremendous amount of my time and energy.

However, I did get through to the semifinal, which I am honored and humbled by, and as such, want to do my very best. Still, nothing I'm shooting seems to be "good enough". I wonder if anything I take will be. The pressure is definitely there and I guess that is what will separate the really great photographers. Here's what I've taken so far. http://greensquared.smugmug.com/gallery/2849439#152753093
    Any comments would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking I need to go in a totally different direction. They are beautiful to me as she is my daughter and I will definitely put some of them on my wall, but nothing LPS worthy I think.

Part of me just wants to quit, fearing failure. But also I know I need to keep trying. Keep shooting and do my best to try and enjoy the process. I also fell I owe it to all the great photographers who didn't get through this time around.

Emily

I have a full time job and a 3 year old at home, so I don't get much time to shoot either. Part of the reason for my structured approach is so I can do a lot of planning ahead for my short shooting window. Most of my competition shots are taken in my little mini studio/workshop in the garage between 8:30pm when Miles goes to sleep and 11pm when I go to sleep. Sometimes I shift my schedule around and get up at 5am so I can shoot at dawn.

Figuring out how to fit competition photos into a full life adds to the challenge. Sometimes it frustrates me that I have to skip good ideas because I know I can't get free at a time when I could shoot them. What I try to do is look at it as my own personal challenge to do as well as I can given the constraints of my life. Rather than fretting about the fact that I can't (for instance) take sunset pictures becuase I can't get free at that time, I try to focus on what I can do.
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    Still, nothing I'm shooting seems to be "good enough". I wonder if anything I take will be. The pressure is definitely there and I guess that is what will separate the really great photographers. Here's what I've taken so far. http://greensquared.smugmug.com/gallery/2849439#152753093
    Any comments would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking I need to go in a totally different direction. They are beautiful to me as she is my daughter and I will definitely put some of them on my wall, but nothing LPS worthy I think.

Part of me just wants to quit, fearing failure. But also I know I need to keep trying. Keep shooting and do my best to try and enjoy the process. I also fell I owe it to all the great photographers who didn't get through this time around.

Emily

Emily,

I think you are being just a tad hard on yourself... Try to relax and enjoy what you do... Too much anxiety can take all the fun out of the shoot…

Concerning your images, I like number 5 and the last 2 the best… All are great shots, but none really WOW! Me… Portraits can be amazing images and you definitely have a beautiful subject to work with… Like a lot of people here I have a full schedule and full time job, so not much time for shooting… the point is I also tend to use what is most convenient for a subject such as my Daughter and her Horses or my Wife’s donkeys…

Keep shooting what is around you and what you shoot best, it has brought you this far… The most amazing portraits to me show the eyes, even better if they have some light in them…

Good Luck
    Winston
    edited May 16, 2007
    What I wonder is...who and when will the first SF post be??? Will someone put something up soon, or are they all waiting until the last minute? The suspense is awesome!
    I've been wondering that myself. I just think that people have been busy. I know I have. Only today I was able to get out briefly to take a few shots.

I suspect that we'll probably start seeing entries in that thread starting this weekend.
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2007
    The judging surprises me too at times. But really that is to be expected. In the world of subjective art appreciation, another persons view of what they like may be quite different than your own.

Instead of seeing that as a failure in the judging, see it for what it really is, variety. Seeing different ways that people can be engaged can be eye opening, mind expanding, and liberating. There is more than one way to skin a cat. The judging and diverse backgrounds of the judges helps to ensure that we will be exposed to that on a regular basis.

One thing that is death to creativity is the inbred nature of a single accepted way of judging. It feeds off itself and pretty soon everything starts to look, smell, and taste like chicken if you know what I mean.

One rather humorous example of a recent scathing rant about the judging via PM went this way:

Perhaps I will do a totally ugly, lousy picture next time. I won't put much thought into it, and I will doctor the hell out of it and create a piece of abstract art that was at one time a photograph.

The advice I gave was simple:
    Give it a shot, it might just open you up to a new technique or way of seeing you have not thought of before.

And I meant it too. Sometimes flaws can be captivating. They can add character and interest that an otherwise "perfect" photo might lack. Now I am not suggesting people go out and shoot lousy photos, but being open to new ways of seeing and shooting, even if they break rules or otherwise accepted norms, just might yield a breakthrough in technique or vision.

And one of the benefits about this contest and the judging is that you will be exposed to this mind expanding visual input on a regular basis!

Like they say in the movies...free your mind! mwink.gif
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2007
    Like they say in the movies...free your mind! mwink.gif

Actually I prefer "Free your hair...and your mind will follow!"

Shay, you need to be careful not to upset us animal lovers and vegetarians!
    (Skinning cats and tasting like chicken??? rolleyes1.gif)

Actually I'm okay with the judging. The choices make me scratch my head, but the fact that the qualifyers aren't all necessarily obvious is what makes it interesting. In fact I know I can walk into any art gallery and say about the good many pieces, "What the heck is THAT doing here?!" I think that an "okay" photographer can get a great shot and get through the qualifying round. But I DON'T think an "okay" photographer is going to win this thing. It's going to take more than one lucky shot to pull that off. Those who are judging have a tough job, but do represent a portion of us. I believe the best will shine through repeatedly in their work and it will not be sheer luck.

And for those with great shots who haven't gotten through yet, keep on keepin' on! Everyone of you has the potential to get through on LPS#6!

Emily
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Xia_KeXia_Ke Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited May 17, 2007
    I'm honestly kind of surprised at how upset people are getting over the judging. IT IS AN ART CONTEST! You will always have people that love your work and you will always have people that HATE your work. It's as simple as that. This is a quote from someone's photo critique on another forum that I think sums it up well:
    Nice work ***, you got a "love it" and a "hate it" in 2 replies, you can now call this art, frame it and hang it in a gallery :P

If you want to make things real interesting how about for future rounds, everybody that enters a photo should do what Shay has done and give critiques on every other entry. To liven it up even more, how about everyone also posts the unedited shots of their work naughty.gif
    Aaron Lehoux

My Gallery

"Challenge yourself! You will have days of discouragement and days of success, but the only way to fail, is to quit!" - Emily (Greensquared)
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2007
    Overall I'm not upset with the judging and as Emily has pointed out, no 'ok' photographs are going to make it to the end.

However any chance of some sort of pre-judging filter system for images not related to the given theme, these should be automatically rejected by the judges but previous rounds have shown this doesn't happen?

Charlie
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2007
    thebigsky wrote:
    Overall I'm not upset with the judging and as Emily has pointed out, no 'ok' photographs are going to make it to the end.

However any chance of some sort of pre-judging filter system for images not related to the given theme, these should be automatically rejected by the judges but previous rounds have shown this doesn't happen?

Charlie

The qualifying rounds are open to all. So being too strict as to what can be submitted would stifle peoples ability to enter and make mistakes. And that is one of the big goals of the qualifying rounds. The chance to make mistakes with little negative consequences. And the ability to learn from other peoples mistakes.

But there is yet another reason not to disqualify a photo in the qualifying rounds because it does not meet the theme. Someone may come up with a photo that redefines how to illustrate the theme in a way no one has thought of before. Or, more likely, the photo will inspire someone with an idea that nails the theme from an unconventional approach.

The qualifying rounds are all about making mistakes, learning from them, and being exposed to ideas. The semifinals will have weeded down the participants to those who can most likely get the job done. And the grand finally will further weed that group down to the best of the best. The winner of the Last Photographer Standing will truly deserve the title and prize. But it is a process to get to that point. A process we can all learn and benefit from :D
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2007
    Fair enough Shay, I know it's not your place to comment, but it seems obvious to me that some participants ignore the theme and enter a photo because they happen to have taken it during the competition period and then they may or may not try to make a link to the theme.

Either my BS filter is set too sensitively or I'm blessed with a stronger grasp of the English language than some but no amount of hyperbole is going to convince me that there aren't a significant percentage of entries that should be rejected immediately for not sticking to the theme, else why bother having themes?

Anyway this is dragging on and I don't want to seem ungrateful for the amount of time and work that's selflessly being donated by yourself and others to make this thing work so I'll just put up and shut up.

Charlie
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2007
    The qualifying rounds are open to all. So being too strict as to what can be submitted would stifle peoples ability to enter and make mistakes. And that is one of the big goals of the qualifying rounds. The chance to make mistakes with little negative consequences. And the ability to learn from other peoples mistakes.

Or, more likely, the photo will inspire someone with an idea that nails the theme from an unconventional approach.

The qualifying rounds are all about making mistakes, learning from them, and being exposed to ideas. :D

Love your words SS, but sometimes people have "double standards" especially when they don't agree about what should be allowed in an OPEN competition...mwink.gif

Take Care
    "D"
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2007
    ...One rather humorous example of a recent scathing rant about the judging via PM went this way:
    Perhaps I will do a totally ugly, lousy picture next time. I won't put much thought into it, and I will doctor the hell out of it and create a piece of abstract art that was at one time a photograph.
    From what I have noticed, there have been already several attempts to ride on this horse in LPS prequals. None made it..ne_nau.gif
    So, just as Shay said - give it a try, it may broaden your horizon, just don't rely on it solemnly.deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2007
    How much about your personality is judged along with your photographs? Not just in LPS, but in all of your work. I mean, think about it. So much about this forum (if your actively participate) speaks of who you are and how you feel about your own work. Perceptions can be made (whether accurate or not) on your personality from all of your postings, whether photographic, input on other's work, technical information, what you post and when, the list goes on.

So the question is, whether to stay quiet and just put your work out there, not wanting it to be affected by other factors, or put it all on the line, be who you are for all the world to see despite the consequences. Wouldn't be much of a "forum" without those braving the latter, would it? Add the LPS stakes and you have a drama to rival anything you might be able to watch on the tube. I have experienced an entire spectrum of emotions over the past month...inspiration, hope, doubt, fear, envy, elation, disappointment, indecision, awe...at least I know I am not alone!
    This thread has certainly stirred up quite a stream discussion.
    No you are NOT alone – in fact it has taken me several days of reading this thread
    to even feel compelled to respond, mostly because of the very reasons you have pointed out.

Anything we photograph, say or even respond to, play an enormous role in how our public view is shaped.

If it was just about taking a photograph and posting it without any interaction with your peers then it would certainly be less stressful, but it would also be much more lifeless and boring. Human interaction can be the cause of both extreme emotional pain and pure unadulterated excitement and passion.

Yes it is a very scary process making new friends but I have found that, some the friendships that develop by sharing a common interest such as photography and art via a forum such as this, can be some of the strongest bonds you will ever encounter.

I personally hope that this contest will enhance that human interaction not build walls or hurt feelings, the only way that will happen is if some of us take that chance and bare our souls.
  • indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2007
    sherstone wrote:
    I personally hope that this contest will enhance that human interaction not build walls or hurt feelings, the only way that will happen is if some of us take that chance and bare our souls.

Lovely! Well said wings.gif
  • davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2007
    With a different set of judges for each round there is a lot of ambiguity in what even might be considered to follow a theme. One person may see the proverbial glass half-empty, One other may see it half-full, personally I would just order another round.
    If my photo happens to inspire judges to vote for it then so be it. If not then so what. It's cool to see is what people are submitting.
  • tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2007
    I think there should not be any judging in Semifinal, only open vote for all the entries. So at most we have 50 entries to vote right
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2007
    I haven't read all of the posts in this thread, but I'm gonna offer up Da .02 anyway :D

This competition has presented many challenges for me. For one the shooters in it are some of the best I've ever seen! I look at the work that they do and I push myself even harder...

There are also a lot of great graphic artists here, people who use the camera to sketch an image that they will paint later on the computer -and I'm not even in their league! The things that they do in post processing I have to do before I press the shutter release cause I'm just not talented enough in Photoshop, and don't see myself ever having the time to learn :(

Even though I knew the odds were against me it didn't stop me from competing -and I never made excuses when I lost. I kept pushing myself and after five tries I got my foot in the door with an image that was me. So to the peeps that are sitting on the sidelines because they think they can't compete, for whatever reason, all I have to say is this: Stop making excuses -if you want to blame anyone because you didn't qualify then point the finger at the person who's staring back at you when you look in the mirror. You'll never amount to anything as a photographer if you can't be your own worst crittic...

If I can pass a qualifying round then anyone can -I'm not that special...
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2007
    Thanks so much Linda and Virginia for the kind words of encouragement. I think I just need to get a good night of sleep and hopefully wake up with a fresh outlook.

With such a beautiful model I'm sure you'll come up with something. Step back, close your eyes, take a deep breath, and just let something come to you. It might happen while you're doing something routine if you just let the pressure go ;)

Emily

I pulled the trigger already -not sure if it was a good move or not. We'll see... mwink.gif
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
    edited May 18, 2007
    Dalantech wrote:
    I pulled the trigger already -not sure if it was a good move or not. We'll see... mwink.gif
    Congratulations on breaking the ice! rolleyes1.gif
    Dalantech wrote:
    This competition has presented many challenges for me. For one the shooters in it are some of the best I've ever seen! I look at the work that they do and I push myself even harder...
    I totally agree with you! The talent I've seen here is extrodinary and inspiring. I've entered 4 of the 5 LPS contests and have felt intimidated by the field each time. I don't know if I'll make it past the semi final but if I don't, then LPS#6 here I come! :D