Options

lexar 80x cf cards

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited February 1, 2005 in Accessories
there's a bit of discussion on different sites about the lexar 80x performance difference between the first edition and the second edition. how to tell? look at that link on rob galbraith's site.

i just got a new 2nd edition 2gb card yesterday. i've been shooting with a 2gb 1st edition card. for giggles, i did a simple test...

2gb 80x lexar cards
canon 1Ds Mark II set to raw + large jpeg

first edition card:
shot twelve raws in succession - then counted till the light on the camera went out - the count was "41"

second edition card:
shot twelve raws in succession - then counted till the light on the camera went out - the count was "22"

scientific? nah - but there's no mistake in my mind whatsoever that the second edition is much faster :-)

i'm exchanging my 1st edition for a 2nd edition right now - lexar was very nice to work with ....

Comments

• Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2005
    andy wrote:
    first edition card:
    shot twelve raws in succession - then counted till the light on the camera went out - the count was "22"

second edition card:
    shot twelve raws in succession - then counted till the light on the camera went out - the count was "41"

scientific? nah - but there's no mistake in my mind whatsoever that the second edition is much faster :-)

i'm exchanging my 1st edition for a 2nd edition right now - lexar was very nice to work with ....

I am assuming you have the numbers backwards there or I dont understand... was it a 41 count on the first addition and a shorter 22 count on the second?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    I am assuming you have the numbers backwards there or I dont understand... was it a 41 count on the first addition and a shorter 22 count on the second?
    nod.gif Must have. ne_nau.gif

Also worth noting that a 2GB card can only hold 12 shots from the DsmkII. FLIPA.giflol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:

oy vey - yes i corrected my mistake :D thanks greaps
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2005
    I would love Canon to make a firmware upgrade so that I can shoot a large jpg and a small jpg on the same card. I want to e-mail the pics I shot and have to convert all the large images...time consuming....

Interesting that the 80x cards do help on these cameras, thanks for the test!
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    nod.gif Must have. ne_nau.gif

Also worth noting that a 2GB card can only hold 12 shots from the DsmkII. FLIPA.giflol3.gif

yahbutt

i can print 12 billboards lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2005
    Andy, get yourself an ultra wide angle lens, then you can stick the camera out the window, take one picture,open it in photoshop, and find a bunch of pictures inside that one. Sure saves time.
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2005
    luckyrwe wrote:
    I would love Canon to make a firmware upgrade so that I can shoot a large jpg and a small jpg on the same card. I want to e-mail the pics I shot and have to convert all the large images...time consuming....

Interesting that the 80x cards do help on these cameras, thanks for the test!
    On the 20D, you can shoot a RAW + small jpeg for each image. Does that help?
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2005
    luckyrwe wrote:
    Andy, get yourself an ultra wide angle lens, then you can stick the camera out the window, take one picture,open it in photoshop, and find a bunch of pictures inside that one. Sure saves time.

that's way funny :lol :roll
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2005
    fish wrote:
    On the 20D, you can shoot a RAW + small jpeg for each image. Does that help?
    My 1DII does that too, but I don't want RAW. I want a large JPG to use for work, and a small JPG to e-mail. Oh and I want the large jpg file on my 2GB CF card and a small jpg file on my 512mb SD card.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited January 2, 2005
    Is there a procedure for the exchange? I have a couple of the 2G cards
    with the 9D66 edge stamps.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Aaron WilsonAaron Wilson Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2005
    drive system
    hey andy... Talked to canon about the 20d and they said it does not support the WA tech... does the 1d mark2 support it or is it still the same drive system? I found a link about test speds and lexar was one of the lower cards for the 20d... any input on this?
    www.dipphoto.com
    All feed back is welcomed!!

http://www.dipphoto.com/

:lust :lust
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    Is there a procedure for the exchange? I have a couple of the 2G cards
    with the 9D66 edge stamps.

Ian

contact lexar ... via their support link on lexar.com
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2005
    andy wrote:
    contact lexar ... via their support link on lexar.com
    Thanks Andy! I see they're in Fremont (across the bay).

Ian
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2005
    just an update. i received a brand new 80x 2gb card from lexar today, after first having got an rma number and sending the old one back.

they sent me a brand new, second edition card, s/n ends with 9FFA.

very happy with their service!
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2005
    Lexar is still a few bucks over Sandisk Ultra II, they both have great warranties. Is this like chosing Coke over Pepsi or is it bigger than that?
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2005
    andy wrote:
    just an update. i received a brand new 80x 2gb card from lexar today, after first having got an rma number and sending the old one back.

they sent me a brand new, second edition card, s/n ends with 9FFA.

very happy with their service!
    I sent an e-mail back on the third of January. I completed the form
    on the 4th.

I've had to ask twice for status updates (their e-mail states I would
    receive a letter within 2 days with instructions). So far. Nothing.

I'll give them the benefit of doubt given the number of requests
    they've probably received. But I can't say I am impressed with
    their service.

Ian
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2005
    I thought I'd follow up with the most recent news from Lexar. However,
    as of today, there isn't any.

At best, I'd say your milage may vary with their support.

Anybody else trying to get the update?

Ian