Options

Street shooting, still not convinced

RovingEyePhotoRovingEyePhoto Registered Users Posts: 314 Major grins
edited May 21, 2007 in Landscapes
Living near a big city, street photography is a big draw, but never have done much of it. I'm considering using a full frame 5D with a 2-lens kit, Canon’s f/2 135L prime coupled with its f/1.4 24L or 35L prime. I know that’s a lot of dough, but put that aside, I’ll live with the embarrassment. Reasoning for suggested kit is that for outdoor opportunities, I want to stand back, not be in the thick of things and have to sell the fact that I'm taking some stranger's pic; or be up close and wide with foreground or background already pre-established, just inconspicuously waiting for something to come along and complete the scene; and in either scenario I want plenty of speed to play with light and bokeh. For indoor opportunities, I obviously want wide, plus again plenty of speed to play with light and bokeh. Whatever the setting, I want to be more unobtrusive than the white 70-200's would allow, more speed than any of the zooms offer, and the lighter swing weight and simplicity of primes. I already have Canon's f/1.8 85 prime, so maybe that stands in place of the 135L, but for quick grabs standing back, I’m thinking 85 maybe isn't enough reach. Either way, doesn't change the concept I'm considering here, coupling a full frame body in a 2-lens kit, a fast short-tele prime (85 or 135) and a fast wide prime (24 or 35). Seems to give me the desired span of reach and breadth, plenty of quality, a reasonably light pack, and considering I’ll either be doing quick grabs or more casual presets, probably not frantically intermixed, not so much lens changing that will become a chore.

<p>I’ve read a few existing threads on this, but still not convinced on my logic. Many shooters seem to say wide angle only, and catch subjects up close and to the side so they don't know you're featuring them. Cost aside, what do you all think?
See my work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/26525400@N04/sets/. Policy is to initially upload 10-20 images from each shoot, then a few from various of the in-process shoots each time I log on, until a shoot is completely uploaded.

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited May 21, 2007
    just my thoughts-

the 70-200 is a fabulous lens, and as far speed, they do have the f2.8-

of course there's the weight-

as far as the white is concerned, I think the obtrusiveness of it is way overrated, maybe because photographers recognize the lens as an excellent, expensive lens-

with it, you have so much more range than a 135-

I don't think you can go wrong with the 5d-

anyway, just my thoughts-

and if you're shooting street scenes with people, I generally expect to see those in the 'people' section-

fwiw-

whatever you get, the 70-200 or the 135, I'm looking forward to your posts-

enjoy!-