Options

My girlfriend and I (Prom)

Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
edited May 22, 2007 in People
So prom #1 was last night (my girlfriend goes to a different school so I have 2 proms to go to!) Of course my parents and her parents were taking pictures of us. Here is the original image.

154659260-M.jpg

Now I thought I would be a bit creative and do some selective coloring. I got this.

154694056-M.jpg

Not bad, but I decided to get a little more creative. I wanted a little less depth of field, so I played around and got my final image.

154694064-M.jpg

Comments and criticism welcome. I've never really done people pictures like this before (especially ones with me in them), so I decided to give it a shot.

And yes, I had a lot of fun at prom! My prom is in 2 weeks.
-Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.

Comments

• Options
    CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2007
    I've got to say I like reducing the depth of field.. BUT.. I'm not a huge fan of the selective colouring. I feel its more for children type portraiture.
    If you are wanting to go the selective colouring route, I would say tone it down a bit, so it's less noticeable? Oh I also really like how you changed the crop. Is that how you say that? I like how you two aren't completely straight up and down.. lol I sound dumb sorry. Anyway other than the colouring being a little to strong for my taste, good work! -Jamie
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2007
    15524779-Ti.gif - I really like the way you reduced the DOF and the tilted crop. Some tilt the image a bit much for my taste - this one fits nicely. The selective colorization, on the other hand, would be much better executed, IMO, if it were restricted to the flowers, with the rest of the shot being B&W. The B&W might have a little more punch if your whites were whiter - a little more contrast - but that's a matter of taste.

Nice job!
  • Options
    rundadarrundadar Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2007
    not to be harsh or anything, but frankly, I'd rather just take the original, make it B&W and be done with that - it's fine as it is.

The selective colouring thingy? Phleeese! (take it away). The creative 'tilt' - no, thank you. All it needs (does not!) is a 'glow' thing for a full house of cheesy effects. Which brings me to my point:

What WAS wrong with the original, in the first place?

[all meant in the friendlies spirit, by the way] :)
    http://rundadar.smugmug.com

"...turtles are great speed enthusiasts, which is natural"

J.Cortazar

• Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2007
    Great pictures...but the color selection doesn't do it for me in those pictures. Usually color selection is a small portion of the whole picture (in your case it was the whole dress), which to me, doesn't work. JMHO
  • Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2007
    Thanks for all the feedback. Next time I'll tone things down a bit and do less. This was just sort of a fun thing to play around with.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    SimonTALMSimonTALM Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited May 22, 2007
    Just like Scott, I definately like the reduced DOF and I think the tilt improves things (the original feels a bit angled to me - possibly due to the column on the wall in the back and the horizontal boards) but agree the selective colour on the dress is a touch too much. What does it look like with just the flowers in colour or significantly less pink? Also what happens if you reduce the tilt so that the column in the background is actually vertical?

Couple of suggestions