Options

SF1 - candidates

annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
edited May 25, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
I've been struggling with time and inspiration to come up with a worthy submission for the semifinal. I'd appreciate your input as to which one you prefer - and why, if you care to elaborate. :D

S14-SvAna-040a.jpg

S12-SvAna-038c.jpg

S16-SvAna-047.jpg

S26-SvAna-118-HDR.jpg

S27-SvAna-121-HDR.jpg

S20-SvAna-080-HDR.jpg

Thanks!

Ana
Ana
SmugMug Support Hero Manager
My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    sunitasunita Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    I like #4 and 5 the most. The house really stands out and panoramic-like feel adds to the effect.

I'm not so sure about 1-3. The misty feeling is nice but it seems to lack contrast.

In #6 the foreground appears to be lit - but it doesn't create an interesting effect, whereas it would make for a stronger image if the sun lit up the valley instead.

Hope this helps!
    Sunita
  • Options
    pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    annnna8888 wrote:
    I've been struggling with time and inspiration to come up with a worthy submission for the semifinal. I'd appreciate your input as to which one you prefer - and why, if you care to elaborate. :D

Ana

some struggle mwink.gif lol

#2 is very nice but it needs "pop"

#s 4,5,6 are all exelent esp. #6

in the end I vote 6
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • Options
    seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    You know I love your work and I really want to like a lot of these images but most just don't quite pop somehow. I find myself wishing for a long lens in #1 to focus in on the hilltop buillding with fog shrouded forest in the background. That would be the wow factor.

Of all these #4 is my favorite. I would crop it tighter (in from the left) and not worry about the well on the right. It would better offset the church and the tree and boil the image down to its essence - church, tree and sky. There is a small problem however with the sloping ground at the base of the church, to me it tends to make the building look like it's tilting forward down the hill. If you rotate image clockwise, then the horizon would be thrown off. Not sure if this is a big deal, and not sure it could be corrected either. The bare ground is also unattractive, which could be fixed in PS.

I understand the perspective in #5 with the fence, and the light/color on the building is better because of position, but it's the wrong side of the building showing unfortunately. A tighter crop would help.
  • Options
    BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    Where did that 3rd rule get away to?
    annnna8888 wrote:

Ana

It takes Comcast to eval these images...

I like the sense of fog and some of the linears which came subtly out in the shots.
    But, I find the 3rds rule could be more strictly adhered to; then the emphasis would be stronger.

Of the shots, I like the one with the well in front of the church...

I could not tell if you were able to PS for more subtle blends...
    Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
    [/FONT]
  • Options
    annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 24, 2007
    sunita wrote:
    I like #4 and 5 the most. The house really stands out and panoramic-like feel adds to the effect.

I'm not so sure about 1-3. The misty feeling is nice but it seems to lack contrast.

In #6 the foreground appears to be lit - but it doesn't create an interesting effect, whereas it would make for a stronger image if the sun lit up the valley instead.

Hope this helps!
    Sunita

Thanks!
    I said I was struggling. :D The first three photos were taken before dawn and due to weak light there was no contrast to speak of in the original files. The histogram was a small hill in the middle. ne_nau.gif
    Thanks again for your feedback! thumb.gif

Ana
    Ana
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2007
    some struggle mwink.gif lol

#2 is very nice but it needs "pop"

#s 4,5,6 are all exelent esp. #6

in the end I vote 6

Thanks! As I said before, the original photos were totally uncontrasty and these are already heavily post-processed. I do find it interesting that the feedback about #6 that I got from my friends and colleagues has varied from wow to nothing special. :D I'm glad you like it though.

Ana
    Ana
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2007
    seastack wrote:
    You know I love your work and I really want to like a lot of these images but most just don't quite pop somehow. I find myself wishing for a long lens in #1 to focus in on the hilltop buillding with fog shrouded forest in the background. That would be the wow factor.

Of all these #4 is my favorite. I would crop it tighter (in from the left) and not worry about the well on the right. It would better offset the church and the tree and boil the image down to its essence - church, tree and sky. There is a small problem however with the sloping ground at the base of the church, to me it tends to make the building look like it's tilting forward down the hill. If you rotate image clockwise, then the horizon would be thrown off. Not sure if this is a big deal, and not sure it could be corrected either. The bare ground is also unattractive, which could be fixed in PS.

I understand the perspective in #5 with the fence, and the light/color on the building is better because of position, but it's the wrong side of the building showing unfortunately. A tighter crop would help.
    Thanks, Tom, for the detailed feedback!

I struggled with the pop. The photos were taken before dawn, it was dark and the fields with the mist were quite a distance below the hill where I was shooting from.

The fisheye lens and its effects - sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. It's almost impossible to avoid the building looking like they are going to topple over ne_nau.gif unless you hold the camera perfectly in line with the horizon. I did try to correct it in post, but not too much, otherwise the wide angle effect is lost.

And now that you mention it, I do have some tighter crops of the chapel:

S14-1SvAna-035b.jpg

S14-2SvAna-034a.jpg

Do these seem better?
    My head is spinning from looking at all these misty and HDR photos! rolleyes1.gif

Ana
    Ana
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2007
    BistiArt wrote:
    It takes Comcast to eval these images...

I like the sense of fog and some of the linears which came subtly out in the shots.
    But, I find the 3rds rule could be more strictly adhered to; then the emphasis would be stronger.

Of the shots, I like the one with the well in front of the church...

I could not tell if you were able to PS for more subtle blends...
    Thanks, Joe!

First of all, what is Comcast? headscratch.gif

I know - I don't always follow the rule of the thirds as I don't think this is always necessary to achieve the desired effect. Could you please tell me which photos, in your opinion, would benefit from it more?

Ana
    Ana
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    I am leaning toward #4 or #5. I like the well in the forground of #5, but the large area of grass in the foreground feels kind of heavy for lack of a better word. Cropping a bit off the bottom of #5 might help.
  • Options
    pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    I love #7. I played around with your first image in PS, before I saw #7 and got a similar crop. You could also right a portrait crop, it's kind of interesting.

Great photos
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    #4 or 5, but make sure you use the rule of thirds and push the church to the left or right. Those photos are stunning. While I enjoy the first three - the redos are nice - they just don't have the pop or interest of 4 & 5. I don't know which I like better, though. i would crop from the right in 4 to keep that tree as a major element - it's VERY nice - and I'd probably crop from the right in #5, too. The fence is too strong and almost overwhelms the rest of the photo, IMHO, and it's a phenomenal one.

Hope that helps! Good luck!
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    Ana,
    #4, with enhanced skies and mayby less ground.
    Great series otherwise. thumb.gif
    So picturesque:-) mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    I like the composition in #1, but the light just isn't there to back it up (as you already know :D ). Good light in #4 and #5, but the subject just doesn't grab me.

I know I've seen better from you, just keep waking up for those sunrises and I'm sure you'll get "lucky". :D
    Chris
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    I like #5 a lot. The light in that one is particularly nice. The grass in the foreground is rather boring, though. I would crop from the bottom so that the photo has dimensions similar to #1. This would also pull the eye up toward that wonderful sky in the photo.

For the landscape shots, try saturating your reds and yellows just a little to see if that adds a little more "pop" to them. And, if the color version doesn't work, try B&W.
  • Options
    seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    ChrisJ wrote:
    I like the composition in #1, but the light just isn't there to back it up (as you already know :D ). Good light in #4 and #5, but the subject just doesn't grab me.

I know I've seen better from you, just keep waking up for those sunrises and I'm sure you'll get "lucky". :D

I hate to say it but I agree. I do like the zoomed-in hilltop version better but it still isn't quite there. Play to your strengths, which are many!
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    I am leaning toward #4 or #5. I like the well in the forground of #5, but the large area of grass in the foreground feels kind of heavy for lack of a better word. Cropping a bit off the bottom of #5 might help.

Thanks! I've been considering cropping the bottom off #5 and see if it grabs me more.

Ana
    Ana
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2007
    pemmett wrote:
    I love #7. I played around with your first image in PS, before I saw #7 and got a similar crop. You could also right a portrait crop, it's kind of interesting.

Great photos

Thanks! :D
    I'll play around with the photos some more and try different crops. I haven't tried a portrait crop yet, so thanks for the idea!

Ana
    Ana
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2007
    #4 or 5, but make sure you use the rule of thirds and push the church to the left or right. Those photos are stunning. While I enjoy the first three - the redos are nice - they just don't have the pop or interest of 4 & 5. I don't know which I like better, though. i would crop from the right in 4 to keep that tree as a major element - it's VERY nice - and I'd probably crop from the right in #5, too. The fence is too strong and almost overwhelms the rest of the photo, IMHO, and it's a phenomenal one.

Hope that helps! Good luck!
    Thanks, Andi! Of course it helps. Other people's opinions can help you see your own photos in a new light, in a way that you never even thought about.

I agree about the pop. The thing is that predawn photos of mist can never be contrasty and full of color - and I was hoping that maybe a more subtle approach might work. But human eye is usually attracted to strong colors and contrast, so a subtle photo really needs to be extraordinary in order to appeal to the viewers. I'm still torn as to what to enter, but I do have a couple of days to either produce something new or sleep on the photos that I already have and then decide.

Thanks again and good luck to you too!

Ana
    Ana
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    #4, with enhanced skies and mayby less ground.
    Great series otherwise. thumb.gif
    So picturesque:-) mwink.gif

Nik, thanks! :D
    I've been telling people for a long time that Slovenia is a great destination for photographers. mwink.gif

Ana
    Ana
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2007
    ChrisJ wrote:

Hehe, thanks. I wish I was more of a morning person. I hate getting up early, and I only do it for photography! :D

Ana
    Ana
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2007
    richtersl wrote:
    I like #5 a lot. The light in that one is particularly nice. The grass in the foreground is rather boring, though. I would crop from the bottom so that the photo has dimensions similar to #1. This would also pull the eye up toward that wonderful sky in the photo.

For the landscape shots, try saturating your reds and yellows just a little to see if that adds a little more "pop" to them. And, if the color version doesn't work, try B&W.
    Linda, thanks! Quite a few people have suggested the crop in #5, so I'll definitely try that.
    As for the saturation, believe me, I did that to the extent I almost never do. :D But the air was just too misty to have any contrast in the photos at all. B&W is something I should maybe try - but I'm not a big fan.

Ana
    Ana
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2007
    seastack wrote:
    I hate to say it but I agree. I do like the zoomed-in hilltop version better but it still isn't quite there. Play to your strengths, which are many!

Thanks, Tom! I would play to my strengths if only I had more time to go out and shoot some more photos and if only the weather cooperated! :D
    I'll go through my photos again and see if something comes to me. thumb.gif

Ana
    Ana
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    Hi Ana,

It may make things more complicated, but I actually like #1 best, and wouldn't want more 'pop'. I like the dreamy, fairytale look of the image. I think it would loose that with more pop.

#5 would be my second choice. Nice color, I like the wide angle effect. #4 is missing something compared to #5 I think.
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    annnna8888 wrote:
    Thanks, Andi! Of course it helps. Other people's opinions can help you see your own photos in a new light, in a way that you never even thought about.

I agree about the pop. The thing is that predawn photos of mist can never be contrasty and full of color - and I was hoping that maybe a more subtle approach might work. But human eye is usually attracted to strong colors and contrast, so a subtle photo really needs to be extraordinary in order to appeal to the viewers. I'm still torn as to what to enter, but I do have a couple of days to either produce something new or sleep on the photos that I already have and then decide.

Thanks again and good luck to you too!

Ana

I like misty shots. Sadly, they not so easy to find this time of year in California; things are pretty dry. The easiest way I know to make them work is to put something close enough in the forground to give that you get a true black point. That black point serves as a reference to anchor the shot so the rest of the scene can be as misty as you'd like.
  • Options
    Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    lps
    I very quickly looked at your ideas and like #5 the best.

Tessa
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    Hi Ana
    I like #5 the best. I guess I just don't like looking down at the main subject of the photo, as in the chapel shots.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    I like 5 the best. I reacted more strongly to it the second I saw it. The light is just that much sweeter in 5 than in 4. I like the unusual vantage point as well. Your other shots are not to be sneezed at. I think they would look particularly amazing in a large print. thumb.gif