Options

Grizzly Mauls Photographer in Yellowstone

Albert DicksonAlbert Dickson Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
edited May 26, 2007 in Wildlife
I just returned from 5 days shooting Bears In Yellowstone 2 days ago. Today our local paper had the headline "Grizzly Mauls Photographer in Yellowstone". I guess I left just in time!! It was a great trip here are some images:

Black Bear
155839070-L.jpg

Grizzly
155839560-L.jpg

Black Bear
155835986-L.jpg

Grizzly
155833089-L.jpg

Griz and Gray Wolf
155926556-L.jpg

The photographer was 3 miles from the closest road when he suprised a sow with cubs. OOOPS! she Mauled his face severely yet he was able to hike out to the road. He was then Lifeflighted to here in Idaho.

Comments

• Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    I just read an article about that attack prior to seeing your message. It said that was the second time this same photographer had been attacked by bears.

Nice shots by the way.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    Great Griz', Pilgrim! thumb.gif

CinemaSouthwest12.jpg
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    Ouch, i feel bad for the guy. It's always better to keep yourself in a distance and don't mess too much with wild life. Thanks for sharing your very beary pictures! thumb.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2007
    Butts Chopped off
    It would appear that I have a tendancy to chop off Bear Butts:D
  • Options
    UP N MTNSUP N MTNS Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    BeachBill wrote:
    It said that was the second time this same photographer had been attacked by bears.

I this point I'd find a new hobby or start buying lotto tickets.........thats one lucky man.

Very nice pic's.
    Tug at a single thing in nature, and you will find it connected to the universe.
    John Muir
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    Great Griz', Pilgrim! thumb.gif

CinemaSouthwest12.jpg

Man I dig the Jeremiah Johnson story and Movie

and I dig your bear shots as well thumb.gif
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    bfjr wrote:
    Man I dig the Jeremiah Johnson story and Movie

That movie came out in '72...our first son was born in '75...his name is Jeremiah.nod.gif
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    Well I feel sorry for him but it sounds like he was at fault. Some times you just need to back off, the shot isn't worth your life.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    Great shots. In the last one sure doesn't look like that Griz is going to budge on it's kill. The wolf, with tail tucked, looks defeated.
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    Fantastic shots. I've done lots of hiking, camping, and backpacking in Yellowstone over the years-- a lot of it solo. I always made lots of noise (yelling and chanting) when hiking and carried pepper spray on holster just in case. I guess photographers don't want to make noise when they're trying to get photos but... still... poor guy.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    edited May 25, 2007
    Only a little defeated Dana
    The wolves come in in a larger pack each morning at firs light and try to push the bear off the carcass. Sometimes they win sometimes not. As the morning progresses the pack leaves but they leave a beta member behind to keep an eye on things and never let the bear rest. This goes on for days. Eventually the bear leaves and the wolf pack come in to clean up al the leftovers. IT is a win win in the end. I saw this happen each time on several carcasses last week. Four actually.
    Albert
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2007
    Thanks Pete.
    I know what you mean. I blow a little whistle and talk to the woods:D
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited May 25, 2007
    What a terrific series! It must have been a real thrill to see these magnificent animals. I love the bear and wolf interaction shot.

-joel
  • Options
    StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    Very interesting! While the photo depicts a lone wolf, I never thought about the pack. Duh11doh.gifIn the photo I see a victory for the bear, but if you could see the whole story it's quite a different ending.

Thanks,
    The wolves come in in a larger pack each morning at firs light and try to push the bear off the carcass. Sometimes they win sometimes not. As the morning progresses the pack leaves but they leave a beta member behind to keep an eye on things and never let the bear rest. This goes on for days. Eventually the bear leaves and the wolf pack come in to clean up al the leftovers. IT is a win win in the end. I saw this happen each time on several carcasses last week. Four actually.
    Albert
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2007
    Thanks Joel
    It is a thrill but as is shown by the Jim Cole Mauling this week, we need always be respectful and diligent when in our great wild places.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited May 25, 2007
    Absolutely. The sad part is that the bear will probably be hunted down and shot, when all it was doing was protecting a cub.

Regards,
    -joel
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2007
    The bear Will not be punished
    Joel, The park service policy is that they do not relocate or terminate bears that are reacting or behaving naturaly when something like this occurs (very very rare by the way). They consider this normal protective behavior for this bear with cub. No action will be taken per thier statement. Recently a well known bear was relocated to the interior of the park because of over familiarity with people and cars that led to an incident but roadside bears and backcountry bears are two different animalsrolleyes1.gif .
  • Options
    StanleyStanley Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited May 26, 2007
    Image one he doesn't look too happy. you know if you walk into a situation of a grizzly mother and her cubs and you back off that might not placate her and she might attack anyway, they are dangerous animals.