Options

New 30D w/17-40 f/4L or 17-85 IS USM

GinnyGinny Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited May 27, 2007 in Cameras
I'm picking up my camera tomorrow before leaving on vacation and they have both lenses in stock. I've read good reviews about the 17-85 and I've read poor reviews on the 17-40 as far as being an 'L' lens. I have an old 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM that will tide me over until I can pick up a new 70-200mm f/4L USM.

Which ever one I go with tomorrow will be used for 50% landscapes and sunrises, and 50% walk around town lens for some of these new towns I'm going to visit, along with at least two waterfalls that I know of from fairly close to the bases. I care more about the landscapes at fairly wide angles than I do anything else right now as far as quality and printing for my office walls.

My long-winded question is which one would you go with if you were starting out with this set up? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    Honestly, I'd go with the EF-S 17-55 IS. But if you want one of the above I'd go with the 17-40. It's a nice lens, not perfect but very nice. The 17-55 is more expensive but it is much more versatile and is an f/2.8.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    If low light performance in your walkaround lens is important to you, the 17-85 is not a constant f/4 so when you zoom to 85mm, the best you can do is f/5.6. I started with the 17-85 and am now much happier with the 17-55, a constant f/2.8 which is one of the reasons I switched. The 17-40L, which I have not used, is a constant f/4.

If you shoot landscapes on a tripod more than you shoot handheld in low light, then the large aperture and IS of the 17-55 may not be important selling points, and you might prefer the weather sealing of the L.

On the other hand, if your other lens starts at 70mm, then the 17-40L leaves the largest gap of the three lenses mentioned in this post.
  • Options
    donnyboydonnyboy Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited May 26, 2007
    :D If you ever plan on getting a full frame camera go with the 17-40
    I use one on 30D and it is great.
  • Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2007
    Ginny,

You can't go wrong with the 17-40 f/4L. Many pro's use it and there's good reason for it. Excellent build & rich colors...it will be great for your landscapes and it will do OK in the city. I also really like the internal focus and zoom. That means your polarizer (and you must have one for your landscapes!) won't rotate on you as you zoom or focus). If the words aren't enough just check the lenses with your camera at the store and see which one you fall in love with....

Erich