Options

Canon EF 28-300mm f/3,5-5,6 L IS USM

GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,747 Major grins
edited February 2, 2005 in Cameras
Does someone have experience with the Canon EF 28-300mm f/3,5-5,6 L IS USM or knows where I can find some review about this lens?

Canon28-300LISUSM.jpg

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2005
    Just google it....you will still be reading in 2012.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Just google it....you will still be reading in 2012.
    nod.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2005
    Found 40.000 sites on Google, bot only a few reviews. Some say it's the greatest lens they ever had, others were disappointed. I don't know what to think about it.

I was hoping someone here had some experience with it.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2005
    GSPeP wrote:
    Found 40.000 sites on Google, bot only a few reviews. Some say it's the greatest lens they ever had, others were disappointed. I don't know what to think about it.

I was hoping someone here had some experience with it.

My guess is, with that wide a range of zoom, it won't be very sharp. That those who are pleased with it need that flexibility or never used anything better. That those who aren't pleased with it have used something better. What you really want are comparisons, not opinions, because you don't know what else the person who has expressed an opinion has also used to base that opinion on.

And now you have my opinion as well. :)

I always wondered, if the Europeans uses commas for decimal points, and decimal points for commas (see the "40.000" mention above), do you call it a "decimal comma" ???
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    I always wondered, if the Europeans uses commas for decimal points, and decimal points for commas (see the "40.000" mention above), do you call it a "decimal comma" ???
    We just call it comma ... and the point is called "thousand separator" (or something like that) although the point is not always used.

Variations which are all used over here:
    - 40.000,50 (would be 40.000,- or 40.000 if everything behind the decimal * is zero)
    - 40 000,50
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited February 2, 2005
    mercphoto wrote:
    My guess is, with that wide a range of zoom, it won't be very sharp. That those who are pleased with it need that flexibility or never used anything better. That those who aren't pleased with it have used something better. What you really want are comparisons, not opinions, because you don't know what else the person who has expressed an opinion has also used to base that opinion on.

And now you have my opinion as well. :)

I think merc is probably correct - I usually am suspicious of "travel zooms" - wide angle to long telephoto. This is a 12x zoom, pretty extreme. AND it is not cheap either List USD 2400.. For that price you can buy a 70-300 DO IS AND A 28-135 IS and still have money left over for a week end in Las Vegas.

Here is a review of the 28-300 IS L by Michael Reichman. He did not really care for this lens either. http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/Canon-28-300.shtml
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2005
    Good link...
    pathfinder wrote:
    Here is a review of the 28-300 IS L by Michael Reichman. He did not really care for this lens either. http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/Canon-28-300.shtml
    ...Michael Reichman really likes the EFS 17-85 IS lens on the 20D. This indicates to me that he's not just another "L lens snob". His contribution to the photographic community is invaluable IMO.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited February 2, 2005
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    ...Michael Reichman really likes the EFS 17-85 IS lens on the 20D. This indicates to me that he's not just another "L lens snob". His contribution to the photographic community is invaluable IMO.

I think he is a practical kind of shooter. I don't think he is impressed or intimidated by any len or any lens manufacturer. He always has seemed quite down to earth in his writing that I have read and that is most of them at one time or another.

I think lenses are just tools. There are posters on the web who seem more interested in talking about lens and their defects or attributes than actually taking pictures with them. Some poor lenses take pretty darn good pictures if used within their limitations, that is the secret to me. Great lenses can still take lousy pics too.
    I would always rather see a furniture makers table, than the tools he used to build it. ne_nau.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin