>>> Last Photographer Standing (Discussion)

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 24, 2007
    seastack wrote:
    At the risk of getting an answer, ...
    Ah, so you don't want me to answer, perfect! lol3.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Ah, so you don't want me to answer, perfect! lol3.gif

Laughing.gif, yep that was my fear, damn got me again! rolleyes1.gif
  • ChuckWCChuckWC Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    Just wondering: for the voting going on right now for the SF #1, will the top vote getter be the winner just like that? I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better (fairer) to have another round of voting afterwards with only the top 3 or 4 vote-getters to select the final winner (for SF #1, I mean).

With 10 great shots, I'm already noticing that the voting is spread all over the place. This means, hypothetically, the winning photo may end up with a 20% (or less) vote. Meaning, 80% (or more) people didn't think the winner was the best shot.

If there was a way to give points (10 for our favorite, 1 for our least favorite), similar to what the judges did, this wouldn't be an issue. But since we (the general public) are allowed only 1 vote, not sure what it means if someone wins with such a low percentage? headscratch.gif

Anyway, not trying to cause trouble, and no, I won't lose sleep over this. :D Just was wondering what others thought...
    Chuck

CWC Photography: “Painting pictures with cameras.” • Nature & Animals • Around the World • New York City • Miscellaneous • Sunsets • Central Park
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    ChuckWC wrote:
    But since we (the general public) are allowed only 1 vote, not sure what it means if someone wins with such a low percentage? headscratch.gif

It means the public choice winner got more votes mwink.gif
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • GaryBakkerGaryBakker Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    ChuckWC wrote:
    If there was a way to give points (10 for our favorite, 1 for our least favorite), similar to what the judges did, this wouldn't be an issue.
    I agree that weighted ranking would be preferable to "majority wins". But your key phrase "if there was a way" is, well, key.

I'm quite sure that vBulletin (the message board software) doesn't have that complex polling capability. It would have to be done manually*. Way too much work for our poor, already overworked Mods.

* for a small number of judges, this method is feasible, but not for 150-200 voters.
    SmugMug site => The Bakker Chautauqua
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." (Einstein)
  • ChuckWCChuckWC Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    I agree that weighted ranking would be preferable to "majority wins". But your key phrase "if there was a way" is, well, key.

I'm quite sure that vBulletin (the message board software) doesn't have that complex polling capability. It would have to be done manually*. Way too much work for our poor, already overworked Mods.

* for a small number of judges, this method is feasible, but not for 150-200 voters.
    Oh, I totally agree, I didn't mean to imply that I wanted to give the general public a complicated 10point vote, since I know there's no way for the software to do that.

I just meant, a simple alternative would be to have another round of voting, limited to only the top 3 or 4 vote-getters.

As it is, the winner will have a rather low percentage of votes. If I were the winner with (for example) an 18% vote, not sure how I'd feel knowing that over 80% of the people didn't think my picture was the best. By having another round of voting, with fewer entries, the percentages would make more sense (similar to elections in countries with more than 2 parties: they always have run-off elections... but let's not turn this into something political! :D )

Anyway, just something to think about for the future. It's probably too late to change things in this round, since the rules have already been written.
    Chuck

CWC Photography: “Painting pictures with cameras.” • Nature & Animals • Around the World • New York City • Miscellaneous • Sunsets • Central Park
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    Well, I guess there's alway the electoral college model. That's worked well. mwink.gif
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    Now that's hysterical!
    seastack wrote:
    Well, I guess there's alway the electoral college model. That's worked well. mwink.gif
    Good one! thumb.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    seastack wrote:
    Can VB block floridians from such a vote (sorry, Harry! iloveyou.gif ) ? rolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2007
    question for andy...
    Andy or others...

How do you post your photo to this thread? I'm new and maybe I'm not looking in the right place. Doing the reply thing doesn't look right. Maybe it is.

A quick tip from some of the users here would help me alot.

Thanks in advance.

Ed
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2007
    Ed911 wrote:
    Andy or others...

How do you post your photo to this thread? I'm new and maybe I'm not looking in the right place. Doing the reply thing doesn't look right. Maybe it is.

A quick tip from some of the users here would help me alot.

Thanks in advance.

Ed

Hi Ed! wave.gif

There's a tutorial right here for posting pictures to Dgrin: http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1083138

Basically, all you need to do is click Reply on the entry thread. What that does is open up a blank form that lets you compose a reply, or in this case, add a picture.

If you're thinking of entering the LPS you also need to link to your picture's exif information. The exif is where the date the photo was taken is stored and the judges need to that verify that the photo was taken in the correct time frame.

Instructions for posting a link to your photos exif can be found on the entry thread: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=62164
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2007
    Posting photos
    richters

Thanks for the tip. I finally got my photo posted with a link to the Exif data...but, forgot to give it a title.

This is a great site...I am enjoying being a member and also a new member at SmugMug.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2007
    Ed911 wrote:
    richters

Thanks for the tip. I finally got my photo posted with a link to the Exif data...but, forgot to give it a title.

This is a great site...I am enjoying being a member and also a new member at SmugMug.
    Hey Ed,

You can add a title any time before the deadline. Just click the Edit button on your post. Then when the edit screen comes up, you have to click the Advanced button to be able to access the subject line, which is where you can enter your title.
  • Baron von KiperBaron von Kiper Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited June 9, 2007
    Comet Silver Mine Elevator Wench
    160927577-S.jpg
    edited June 9, 2007
    160927577-S.jpg
    Is this an attempt at an entry?

this is the discussion thread...

the current contest entry thread is here:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=62164

and the rules thread, which will teach you all you need to know, is here:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=54952
    Erik

• lbphotographylbphotography Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited July 7, 2007
    Photo Size
    What happened to the size requirements listed under the rules for the LPS. I see a lot of images being posted that are way larger than 800 pixels on the longest side? Or does the exif not show what is really posted in the forum?
  • Xia_KeXia_Ke Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited July 7, 2007
    ...I see a lot of images being posted that are way larger than 800 pixels on the longest side?...

I just double checked. Saw a bunch at the maximum of 800 but, only 1 that was larger.
    Aaron Lehoux

My Gallery

"Challenge yourself! You will have days of discouragement and days of success, but the only way to fail, is to quit!" - Emily (Greensquared)
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2007
    Xia_Ke wrote:
    I just double checked. Saw a bunch at the maximum of 800 but, only 1 that was larger.

Same here, I sent a PM asking to resize it.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2007
    What happened to the size requirements listed under the rules for the LPS. I see a lot of images being posted that are way larger than 800 pixels on the longest side? Or does the exif not show what is really posted in the forum?

I believe if you let Smugmug do the scaling for you, the size you see in the EXIF is what was uploaded, not what is posted. You are judged on the scaled image whether you do the scaling by hand or let Smugmug (or some other hosting service) do the scaling for you.
  • ShizamShizam Registered Users Posts: 418 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2007
    Edit: NM, I read the rules for the 4th time and they sunk in :)
    Ever hear of Optimus Zoom? Me either.
    SmugMug iOS Sorcerer
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2007
    Contest Rules question
    I aplogoize if I am asking in the wrong area.

I didn't see an answer in the rules so I need to ask.

If you enter a shot that's a composite are all the composites required to be within the two week time period?

Thanks, gail

ne_nau.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2007

If you enter a shot that's a composite are all the composites required to be within the two week time period?

Thanks, gail

ne_nau.gif

I'd say yes, but what do I know:-)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited July 20, 2007

Thanks, gail

ne_nau.gif
    Hi Gail, As the rules state, compositions are OK, but indeed the content must be fresh. That being said, there are many ways to go with a composition, and we don't want to limit creativity by getting too specific with the rules.

For example, if the overwhelming majority of the composition was fresh photos, and a small portion of blue sky or a cloud were digitally worked in the background, I would consider it ok. We've had the discussion before, this is a DIGITAL photo contest, so all processing is encouraged and permitted. May the best final-product win!
    Erik

edited July 20, 2007
    Composites and freshness...
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Hi Gail, As the rules state, compositions are OK, but indeed the content must be fresh. That being said, there are many ways to go with a composition, and we don't want to limit creativity by getting too specific with the rules.

For example, if the overwhelming majority of the composition was fresh photos, and a small portion of blue sky or a cloud were digitally worked in the background, I would consider it ok. We've had the discussion before, this is a DIGITAL photo contest, so all processing is encouraged and permitted. May the best final-product win!

Thanks so much. Now maybe I can give it a try. I do appreciate your response.
    Have a great day, gailclap.gif
  • mapleleavermapleleaver Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2007
    Thanks so much. Now maybe I can give it a try. I do appreciate your response.
    Have a great day, gailclap.gif

I haven't looked at the forum for a long time and am very excited about this competition.

I have to admit I never checked all the info on the contests but I have one quick question: when do we know what the topic is for the next contest? Is it on the 23rd? I gather it will be announced on that day? Is that correct?

christina
    edited July 21, 2007
    I haven't looked at the forum for a long time and am very excited about this competition.

I have to admit I never checked all the info on the contests but I have one quick question: when do we know what the topic is for the next contest? Is it on the 23rd? I gather it will be announced on that day? Is that correct?

christina
    Yes, you are correct. We don't pre-announce the topics, they are revealed at the start of the respective round. nod.gif
    Erik

edited July 22, 2007
    Lps
    Ijust entered the contest and my picture is on the right. What did I do wrong?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2007
    Ijust entered the contest and my picture is on the right. What did I do wrong?
    It's fine:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=600674#post600674
    edited July 22, 2007
    Lps
    Thanks Andy. I was nervous I did something wrong. Have a good evening.
    :) gail
  • SunsetSailorSunsetSailor Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2007
    LPS#10 Entry 7
    I'm very new to this blog format. I just replaced my entry 7 image but the old title remains and I can't figure out how to get rid of it. I typed in the new title in this text box and it does come up but I would like to get rid of the old one or replace it with the new one. Help would be much appreciated.
    Laura
    Laura
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif] The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer. ~Author Unknown

Olympus EVolt 500
    [/FONT]
    http://sunsetsailor.smugmug.com