Dgrin Meetups - Europe

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited February 13, 2009 in The Big Picture
Tallyho and all that - don't forget to stop for Tea if in London or some cafe au lait if in Paris. :deal

Comments

• Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2006
    Or a Moscatel in Setubal or Lisbon ... or even a Porto in the north part of the country ...
    thumb.gif
    May be you would like some grilled sardines and red wine ...
    :):
    75801309-M.jpg
    I'm waiting for you...
    75554353-M.jpg
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2007
    Netherlands Dgrinners meet up
    I know there are quite a few of us around here.

Are there enough of us to organize a small get-together? Lets hear it here, including suggestions, ideas, etc.
  • EyefulEyeful Registered Users Posts: 389 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2007
    I would like that, always filled with envy at the US gatherings. May I suggest that we invite our Belgian neighbours too ?

Maastricht would in that case be a good starting point IMO, right in the middle, both ways. The city and surroundings offer lots of photograpic opportunities for everyone's taste (landscape, old and new architecture, events). That I happen to live there is just a coincidence :ivar

Seriously. I'd be happy to act as a guide during the day or weekend. Depending on people showing up and interest we could divide in groups. I hope that a good friend and dgrinner will help me (come on Marlof).

On the other hand: I'm open to other suggestions.

Rob
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2007
    I'm in and am sure willing to help getting things organised. I would like to second Rob's suggestion. Although I no longer live in Maastricht, it's still one of my favorite cities in The Netherlands, since it has both a typical Dutch and a foreign flavour. And you're pretty close to a very beautiful landscape, the hills of Southern Limburg. But other suggestions would be fine too. As long as there's a get together, I'm happy.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2007
    Maastricht sounds like a good plan. Also easy to reach by public transport. I am not very familiar with Maastricht, so if someone could play guide, that would be awesome.

We can bring in the Belgians and Germans as well of course.

More takers? Suggestions? Ideas?
    edited May 22, 2007
    A bump to see if others are interested.
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    bumb? :D

very cool idea! i'm in! clap.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
    edited May 29, 2007
    OK !
    Four isn't exactly a crowd, but that doesn't matter. Let's have fun and show our fellow dgrinners here some nice pictures !

So let's talk about possible dates. I'd suggest a weekend in august or september.

BTW: to warm you all up: I got an e-mail today. I've won a photo-contest organised by a local tv-net (TVMaastricht). Three days in Paris is my bonus. I'm going to collect tomorrow.

This was my contribution. What do y'all think ?
    115905709-L.jpg
  • ajgauthierajgauthier Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    if you wait until mid-Sept...
    I'll be a lonely tourist/academic in Garching bei Munchen (Germany) for 3 months (mid-Sept to mid-Dec) and would love to tag along if a meetup happens around that time.

:D
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    Eyeful wrote:
    OK !
    Four isn't exactly a crowd, but that doesn't matter. Let's have fun and show our fellow dgrinners here some nice pictures !

So let's talk about possible dates. I'd suggest a weekend in august or september.

BTW: to warm you all up: I got an e-mail today. I've won a photo-contest organised by a local tv-net (TVMaastricht). Three days in Paris is my bonus. I'm going to collect tomorrow.

This was my contribution. What do y'all think ?
    115905709-L.jpg

very interesting.......I like it....there issomething about it that just grabs me.......thumb.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited May 30, 2007
    Eyeful wrote:
    OK ! Four isn't exactly a crowd, but that doesn't matter. Let's have fun and show our fellow dgrinners here some nice pictures ! So let's talk about possible dates. I'd suggest a weekend in august or september...This was my contribution. What do y'all think ?
    A week-end in August or September would be fine for me.

I only need to know the dates and very fast because I need to get the flights.
    The sooner I buy the cheapest I get them.

My wife would come with me.
    She speaks pretty good English (better than me and I speak better French than she does - but we both speak Portuguese rolleyes1.gif).

I would need to book a cheap hotel for the night from Saturday to Sunday.
    Arrange the place and time for the meeting.

Well ... :Dthumb.gif
    edited May 30, 2007
    I have talking to my wife about this.
    A more "direct" city would be better for us.

To go to Mastrich we have to catch the plain in Lisbon arrive to Amsterdam for example, and take the train to Maastricht.

This takes us too long.

But if everybody agrees with Maastricht, then we also agree ! thumb.gif
    edited May 30, 2007
    Antonio,

You two could fly to Brussels (Belgium) or Cologne (Germany). Brussels is a one-hour drive. Cologne 45 minutes. If a date gets set in september I'm prepared to pick you up from the airfield. And maybe some other dgrinners too ? I have room for five...

Looking forward to meeting you, Antonio. Always admiring your pictures and enthusiasm in the association-thread.

Rob
    edited May 30, 2007
    Rob.
    Good evening.
    Thank for offering the beds and the pick-up in the airport. Very nice of you to do so.
    I talked to my wife some moments ago and she also thanks you.
    We do accept with pleasure, thought you have to let us know the price.

I have not yet searched for the flights but I think there will be no problem about the destination.
    One city or the other is very common and frequent in terms of flights.
    We do have some miles in the cards, so we have to go and see about it...

Let me go a little further:

clap.gif I suggest that the meetup will take place on the week-end - 8th and the 9th September. Who doesn' t agree ? If you don't, please propose an alternative.clap.gif

thumb.gif
    edited June 22, 2007
    Ok, so I'm back from a little holiday, and noticed things got cooking (well... warming up at least) in my absense. Is there still an interest? I know Eyeful and I are interested, but we should really set some dates soon when this goes through.
    edited June 24, 2007
    I am sorry but I will not go because my mother is going to be operated in mid August and I can't lieve her alone.

Sorry. Next time.

Nice meeting for you all. thumb.gif
    edited June 25, 2007
    Sorry to hear that, Antonio. I was really looking forward to meet you. But of course, family goes first. I hope the operation goes well, and I wish your mother a good recovery.
    edited June 25, 2007
    marlof wrote:
    Sorry to hear that, Antonio. I was really looking forward to meet you. But of course, family goes first. I hope the operation goes well, and I wish your mother a good recovery.

:D Thank you.
    Have a nice meeting ! thumb.gif
  • jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    European Smugmug get-together
    Hey there all,

Is anyone interested in some sort of European get-together?

Maybe more than one given the size of Europe...

See what sort of reply we get here to gauge interest.

Cheers, Jase
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2008
    jasonstone wrote:
    Hey there all,

Is anyone interested in some sort of European get-together?

Maybe more than one given the size of Europe...

See what sort of reply we get here to gauge interest.

Cheers, Jase
    Bump!
    edited October 17, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Bump!
    wow i was thinking that my thread had gone ballistic last night!!!
    Then i realised it had been merged with a previous one!!! rolleyes1.gif

OK - I know of
    - 1 X Switzerland
    - 1 X Alsace

suggest somewhere central Europe for everyone to get to

was thinking Alsace as it's beautiful and great for wine, food, castles etc.

but we could go further north too... NL is a bit far and BE flights are ridiculous from CH

Roll on folks

Cheers, Jase
    edited October 17, 2008
    What is far is a mindset. I drive regularly to Italy (through Switzerland) from the Netherlands, and the distance doesn't strike me as far. But if there'd be more interest in a gathering in let's say the Alsace, and I'd be able to fit it in my schedule, I'd be in.
    edited October 17, 2008
    Count me in too. Have no problem with Alsace. I'd suggest the little city Colmar as a starting point.
    edited October 17, 2008
    marlof wrote:
    What is far is a mindset. I drive regularly to Italy (through Switzerland) from the Netherlands, and the distance doesn't strike me as far. But if there'd be more interest in a gathering in let's say the Alsace, and I'd be able to fit it in my schedule, I'd be in.

For me the issue is wife and 2 small kids
    no other family to look after the kids
    and yeah we're happy to drive 600+km for a weekend _but_ 2 kids (4.5yo and 2yo) they go CRAZY rolleyes1.gif that long in the car - so it's regular stops and takes forever to get there

Sorry for the long winded explanation but just wanted to show why it's too far...

In Alsace there is enough for them to look at and therefore I can get some free time too

Life was a lot easier pre-kids mwink.gif
    edited October 17, 2008
    Eyeful wrote:
    Count me in too. Have no problem with Alsace. I'd suggest the little city Colmar as a starting point.

I love Colmar - sounds good!
    edited October 17, 2008
    jasonstone wrote:
    and yeah we're happy to drive 600+km for a weekend _but_ 2 kids (4.5yo and 2yo) they go CRAZY rolleyes1.gif that long in the car - so it's regular stops and takes forever to get there

I can imagine. My 4.5yo loves to ride in a car, and has zero issue with a ten hour drive (from my place to the Lago Maggiore). I know I'm lucky though.

But that's not the point, Alsace and Colmar is sounding great. Even though three could be enough for some fun, let's wait and see if more people would like to meet up, before looking at our schedules.
    edited October 17, 2008
    marlof wrote:
    I can imagine. My 4.5yo loves to ride in a car, and has zero issue with a ten hour drive (from my place to the Lago Maggiore). I know I'm lucky though.

But that's not the point, Alsace and Colmar is sounding great. Even though three could be enough for some fun, let's wait and see if more people would like to meet up, before looking at our schedules.

Yeah it's more the 2yo that goes stir crazy as he's not so interested in watching the dvd movies yet - unlike his 4.5yo big brother mwink.gif

I think I know of another person who is on smugmug but not dgrin who would be interested too.

But yes let's give it some time to get more people and maybe we can even push it out to start of next year as i'm sure people will be busy coming up to the silly season (christmas isn't that far off now eek7.gif )

Cheers, Jase
  • kejagokejago Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited October 18, 2008
    wave.gif From Geneva. I'll raise Jason one kid... or half a one really. Due early next year... :D
    edited October 18, 2008
    I may be interested.
    It depends where and the expense involved, of course...:D
    :Dthumb.gif
    edited October 18, 2008
    Cool ok - let's see how much momentum this gains clap.gif

I'm thinking if we plan anything it might have to be in 2009 anyway as it's rapidly approaching Christmas etc.

Reckon I could find time in November though still

Cheers, Jase