Options

Dgrin #6 Angular?

NanaMoNanaMo Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
edited June 1, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Any comments or criticisms would be appreciated....is this considered angular enough?

Air Force Academy had graduation today and every year they have a performance by the Thunderbirds.....got 158 more :roflif I need to find a more severe angle :scratch...but not quite this close.

Thanks in advance,
Maureen

157930477-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    ne_nau.gif Sorry, but I don't get angular or curved in this.

Do you have any shots of them leaving curved con trails? Or doing "loop de loops"?
  • Options
    Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    lps #6
    I agree with Linda.

Tessa
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • Options
    fashiznitsngrinsfashiznitsngrins Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    Great shot, but doesn't really scream the theme. The planes themselves are very angular but the overall picture says "airplane".
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    nope neither

but I do think its a cool shot.:D
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    Maureen,
    Sorry, this one doesn't "fly" ne_nau.gifmwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    StrikeslipStrikeslip Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    richtersl wrote:
    ne_nau.gif Sorry, but I don't get angular or curved in this.

Do you have any shots of them leaving curved con trails? Or doing "loop de loops"?
    Good idea. Looped con trails might be attractive, and the planes would be minimal size-wise.
  • Options
    davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    Nice Shot. Like the others I'd suggest something else.

Cheers!
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2007
    Thanks one and alll!

Back to the 'drawing board' ......here is a sample of the con trails as suggested. headscratch.gif
    158105986-L.jpg

Thank you all for taking the time to post comments.

Maureen
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2007
    You have a curve in there for sure! And the composition's really good. But your image looks very noisy and grainy. :cry

I don't even know how to recommend that you correct it, because at times I get noisy skies like that too, especially when using a polarizer. I asked about it here at Dgrin several months ago and was told it was the Red Channel where the noise was located and I was never able to clean it from my photo. ne_nau.gif I suspect you have something similar happening in this yours.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    Maureen,
    If you happen to have some shots of F-117, they could be great angular entries mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    richtersl wrote:
    You have a curve in there for sure! And the composition's really good. But your image looks very noisy and grainy. :cry

I don't even know how to recommend that you correct it, because at times I get noisy skies like that too, especially when using a polarizer. I asked about it here at Dgrin several months ago and was told it was the Red Channel where the noise was located and I was never able to clean it from my photo. ne_nau.gif I suspect you have something similar happening in this yours.

One way to clean up the sky here is to put the planes on a second layer with a mask. There are a variety of ways to approach making that mask, but starting with a color range and cleaning it up with a paint brush is the first thing I would try. There is very little color separation between the planes and the sky in this shot which is going make it very difficult to create a mask. The mask you create will let you add some definition to the planes which will add a lot of pop to the shot. Personally I think the quality of that mask will make or break the shot so it is critical to get it right.

Next, make a second copy of the background on a middle layer, so it looks like this:

Planes Layer
    Sky Layer
    Background

Clone out the planes on the sky layer so it becomes a solid field of blue and then apply a gaussian blur to it to clean up the noise. Usually when you blur a sky you will see some posterization (color level contours) in the gradient. That is why we saved the original. You can now tweak the blend of the sky to bring back in a little of the original noise which will magically make the posterization vanish. While you are at it, I'd drop an HSL layer on top of the sky and tweak it to a more appealing color. The planes are mostly shadowed and dark, so lightening up the sky will give you some of the contrast and pop the shot needs.
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2007
    ne_nau.gif I suspect you have something similar happening in this yours.[/quote]

Thanks Linda, as you see LiquidAir sent us a great tutorial to resolve this "situation". wings.gif

I have several other ideas and will try those ....... bowdown.gif

Maureen
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    If you happen to have some shots of F-117, they could be great angular entries mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif

wings.gifroflhe, he ....I am in the flight pattern at my house for the AFA....but by the time I pointed my camera to the sky it was nothing but noise!!! (It was a beautiful, magnificent machine...from what I could see.)

Maureen
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    One way to clean up the sky.......

Thank you so much for the tutorial. I am sure it will be valuable to many dGrinners! bowdown.gif

I will try to do this but have a few other ideas that might be "cleaner" and will work on your recommendation when not feeling under pressure.

Thanks again from all of us out here that your note helped!! bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif

Maureen
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    One way to clean up the sky here is to put the planes on a second layer with a mask. There are a variety of ways to approach making that mask, but starting with a color range and cleaning it up with a paint brush is the first thing I would try. There is very little color separation between the planes and the sky in this shot which is going make it very difficult to create a mask. The mask you create will let you add some definition to the planes which will add a lot of pop to the shot. Personally I think the quality of that mask will make or break the shot so it is critical to get it right.

Next, make a second copy of the background on a middle layer, so it looks like this:

Planes Layer
    Sky Layer
    Background

Clone out the planes on the sky layer so it becomes a solid field of blue and then apply a gaussian blur to it to clean up the noise. Usually when you blur a sky you will see some posterization (color level contours) in the gradient. That is why we saved the original. You can now tweak the blend of the sky to bring back in a little of the original noise which will magically make the posterization vanish. While you are at it, I'd drop an HSL layer on top of the sky and tweak it to a more appealing color. The planes are mostly shadowed and dark, so lightening up the sky will give you some of the contrast and pop the shot needs.

bowdown.gif Thank you! This is so good to know because it's ruined more than one photo for me. I wish you had stumbled on to the note I had posted over in Finishing School a few months ago. Now I have to go play! rolleyes1.gif