Options

What Flash For My Nikon D50???

Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
edited June 5, 2007 in Accessories
I would really like to get a flash for my camera...I usually shoot outside or inside pictures of children. Thanks :D
Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
BLOG

Comments

• Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2007
    Well, it "they" are not getting beyond ~25', the SB600 should work great for you. If you feel that you may use it for more distance shots, or need more flash power, I would highly suggest the SB800. It also depend on your budget. The SB800 should suffice long-term if you can afford it.

OH, there is a new SB400, but I suspect this flash is under powered, lacks many controls of the above flashes and would only work for your indoor shots. (IMPO)
  • Options
    Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2007
    I have a D50 and a SB600 and its fine for most everything. But the extra $120 for the Sb800 does get you quite a bit, so the extra money isn't a waste. Here is a link to a good comparison.

After I bought my SB600, I added some accessories which were actually included in the SB800 kit: 1) Color Gel pack (~$30), 2) PC connection (~$20), 3) diffusion dome (~$20). So I probably should have bought the SB800. I believe the SB800 also has a built in optical slave (SU-4 mode) which is another $20 accessory.

I hadn't really planned on using it off camera at all, but after reading lessons on the strobist site. I use it more off camera in manual mode than on camera.
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2007
    Thanks so much I was leaning toward the SB800 so I think I will get that one :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2007
    Cuties02q wrote:
    Thanks so much I was leaning toward the SB800 so I think I will get that one :D
    Good choice. I think this should suffice for some time to come... thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2007

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • Options
    Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2007
    The purpose of the bracket is to orient the flash centered and above the lens even in the "Portrait" orientation. This helps with hiding shadows. I personally don't worry about the bracket. Instead I rotate the head and try to bounce the flash off of the walls or ceiling indoors. Outdoors, it probably shouldn't be a problem either. If you did use a bracket, you would probably also need a sync cord as well (~$70). I don't know what your camera is, but if it is capable of wireless "Commander mode" (D70 and above), the flash might not be in a position to recieve the IR signal if its on the bracket, therefore the sync cord would be needed. Indoors it wireless control may work because of a bounce off the walls though.
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2007
    Cuties02q wrote:
    Well if you'll be taking that route, I do suggest you get a flip flash bracket with an anti-twist plate. Stroboframe makes a really good product with many different accessories. Check these out...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=sort&A=search&Q=&sortDrop=Price%3A+Low+to+High&bl=&atl=Brand_Stroboframe&pn=1&st=categoryNavigation&mnp=0.0&mxp=0.0&sv=653&shs=&ac=&fi=all&pn=1&ci=653&cmpsrch=&cltp=&clsgr=

And the anti-twist plates...
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=details_accessories&A=details&Q=&sku=50547&is=REG&addedTroughValue=52735_REG&addedTroughType=accessory_detail

Please note that their cheaper Quick-flip models don't have a anti-twist plates. But this is another option. Also be aware that the best place for your flash is about 12" directly above the lens... and you'll need an SC-28 or SC-29 for your iTTL flash. Yep... it all adds up. But you'll be happier with all the proper equipment.
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2007
    Thanks for all the info...now I just need to decide what to do eek7.gif

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • Options
    Mr_MojoMr_Mojo Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited May 13, 2007
    Cuties02q wrote:
    Thanks for all the info...now I just need to decide what to do eek7.gif

I was gonna get the SB600 but decided on the SB400. For me the main factor was that with a smaller flash I'm much more likely to acutally carry it and use it.

I just didn't see myself walking around with the large SB600 on my camera but will probably leave the 400 on it most of the time. It's also alot more powerful than the older Nikon flash I'm using now.

check out this review: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/sb400.htm
  • Options
    Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2007
    Sb400... SB8... is overkill.
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2007
    Mike02 wrote:
    Sb400... SB8... is overkill.
    Allow me to play devils advocate here... Like I learned in the cold weather of Colorado, if you have it and need it not problem. But if you need it and don't have it... well...

So, if you don't need the additional power/light (can afford it) not big deal. But if you need it and don't have it... well... This decision is all up to the individual shooters preference.
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2007
    Ok thanks again everyone I decided to go with the SB800 and I am waiting on the brackets for now :D

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2007
    Seymore wrote:
    Allow me to play devils advocate here... Like I learned in the cold weather of Colorado, if you have it and need it not problem. But if you need it and don't have it... well...

So, if you don't need the additional power/light (can afford it) not big deal. But if you need it and don't have it... well... This decision is all up to the individual shooters preference.

I have the SB400. I look at convienance. While the 800 is way more powerful, it is way bigger. I like walkaround photgraphy and I like small size. I would not use the 800 as much and my needs are filling in light for shadows and some inside photography for getting moments. I put on a light diffuser, point it up and bounce the light. Get nice fill in light for the face as well as light bouncing off. If I am shooting in low light, I take the diffusor off and point it straight ahead. I needed something more powerful that the built in that also allowed bounce lighting. The 400 fit the bill.

I would use the 400 80% of the time and the 800 20% of the time. If I had just the 800, I would still use it that much because I hate bulk. I know the 800 would do 100% of the work, but it would be left home or out of the bag anyway. The 400 is small on the camera and small in the bag. Works for me.
  • Options
    Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    Seymore wrote:

Quote from Op: "I usually shoot outside or inside pictures of children."

As he said... all he needs it for are outdoor and indoor shots of his kids; therefore, the SB800 would be overkill, for a job that a $115 flash could do. But you're completely entitled to your own opinion on that.
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2007
    Mike02 wrote:
    Quote from Op: "I usually shoot outside or inside pictures of children."

As he said... all he needs it for are outdoor and indoor shots of his kids; therefore, the SB800 would be overkill, for a job that a $115 flash could do. But you're completely entitled to your own opinion on that.
    And, to play devils advocate again...

It's dusk, the kids are at the back fence and "the event" arrives and you want to catch "the moment". Is the SB-400 going to have enough reach @ 20-30'? OK never mind... Dpreview answered that question for me.

But I guess I've always been one to think ahead. One can always grow into an item. But if you have to sell one to get what you really need (and the same applies to lenses), seems like a waste of time and money. This thought process is what I try to maintain when buying things I know I will use.
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2007
    Well my SB800 is here and while I have no idea how to use it ne_nau.gif I am happy I went this this one as I will be a shooting a wedding next month. Thanks again eveyone thumb.gif

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • Options
    SnarcherSnarcher Registered Users Posts: 122 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2007
    100374.jpg