street photography ...

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited March 8, 2005 in Landscapes
15249373-L.jpg

canon 1Ds Mark II, 50mm f/1.4 lens aboard.

enjoy (street) photography,

Comments

• MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2005
    andy wrote:

Andy, man this shot just blows my mind. The perspective used is so creative and super well executed. thumb.gif Details, contrasts, exposure bang on. Simply excellent. Your ARE the master of movement in the street!

AJ
  • cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2005
    andy wrote:
    15249373-S.jpg

Course you know I always like to flip reflections...
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Aaron WilsonAaron Wilson Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2005
    love the shoot.. now that is what i call street photography!!!!
    www.dipphoto.com
    All feed back is welcomed!!

http://www.dipphoto.com/

:lust :lust
  • ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2005
    Andy what a great shot! I hope to find some similar conditions and to try in my own pathetic way to reproduce this shot or style.

You inspire ...and that sir, is a great attribute.
    Cheers,
    Tim
  • NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2005
    Fantastic Andy! Simply fantastic!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2005
    I'm still trying to figure it out headscratch.gif
    but that's just one of the reasons its a fantastic shot clap.gifclap
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2005
    thanks aj ...
    MuskyDude wrote:
    Andy, man this shot just blows my mind. The perspective used is so creative and super well executed. thumb.gif Details, contrasts, exposure bang on. Simply excellent. Your ARE the master of movement in the street!

AJ

wave.gif it's great to see you here on dgrin :D thanks for commenting, too.
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2005
    Way cool clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Is the street wet? I too am trying to figure it out. Great wrok. Thanks for sharing.
    ann
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited February 3, 2005
    Cool shot! How long did you stand there waiting for the right person to walk by? This was pre-planned, right? How did the water stay so smooth - traffic didn't ruffle the water surface at all?? Nicely done! clap.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited February 3, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Cool shot! How long did you stand there waiting for the right person to walk by? This was pre-planned, right? How did the water stay so smooth - traffic didn't ruffle the water surface at all?? Nicely done! clap.gif

it was preplanned, in that as i was approaching the intersection, i noticed the big puddle and folks' reflections in it as they were walking by. i didn't stand there at all, as i got to the intersection, i paused, waited about 2 seconds for the two folks to appear in my viewfinder, and i snapped the shutter. i was on my way immediately afterwards. for me, street shooting is a very fluid thing for the most part. only occassionally will i stay in one spot and fish for a shot.... harry used to get very upset when i would do this, as it would delay his arrival at virgil's for bbq ribs lol3.gif

thanks for the comment, and the kind words about my work!
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2005
    andy wrote:
    it was preplanned, in that as i was approaching the intersection, i noticed the big puddle and folks' reflections in it as they were walking by. i didn't stand there at all, as i got to the intersection, i paused, waited about 2 seconds for the two folks to appear in my viewfinder, and i snapped the shutter. i was on my way immediately afterwards. for me, street shooting is a very fluid thing for the most part. only occassionally will i stay in one spot and fish for a shot.... harry used to get very upset when i would do this, as it would delay his arrival at virgil's for bbq ribs lol3.gif

thanks for the comment, and the kind words about my work!
    Andy.. thats a perfect shot. I bet you were so excited when you caught it..clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 3, 2005
    Andy;

Your work makes me miss my home town! :cry
    edited February 3, 2005
    Shakey wrote:
    Andy what a great shot! I hope to find some similar conditions and to try in my own pathetic way to reproduce this shot or style.

You inspire ...and that sir, is a great attribute.
    Cheers,
    Tim

i hope you do shoot them, and share them!
    love the shoot.. now that is what i call street photography!!!!

thanks for the kind words.

thanks tim and aaron :D
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited February 3, 2005
    One of your best
    street shots, to date, IMHO thumb.gifthumb.gif

And boy do you do street shots well clap.gif I feel another KPOTD coming on :lol

Excellent shot and thanks for sharing it here.

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2005
    cmr164 wrote:
    Course you know I always like to flip reflections...

That's a really nice coat, Charles...Brooks Brothers?
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited February 4, 2005
    andy wrote:

I love the contrast between male and female in the reflected image.

Really nice shot.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • FramesMediaFramesMedia Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited February 4, 2005
    Neat work! thumb.gif

Was she aware?
    edited February 4, 2005
    Nir wrote:
    Fantastic Andy! Simply fantastic!

thanks. you've *got* to come to ny, nir :D

gubbs wrote:
    I'm still trying to figure it out headscratch.gif
    but that's just one of the reasons its a fantastic shot clap.gifclap

thank you, mate!
    edited February 5, 2005
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Way cool clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Is the street wet? I too am trying to figure it out. Great wrok. Thanks for sharing.
    ann

hiya, ann :D yeah that's a big puddle... thanks for the comment and for taking a look!
  • Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2005
    Wow, great stuff as usual Andy!
    edited February 12, 2005

And boy do you do street shots well clap.gif I feel another KPOTD coming on :lol

Steve

hey steve, thanks for looking and commenting.
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2005
    Andy, telling you that a shot like this is great seems superfluous. You knew it was a great shot the minute you took it. Everyone has told you it was a great shot. PF asked how you got it and your answer makes it clear that you have a zone for street photography that's pretty enviable.

So let me try to tell you a little more. This is a really unusual composition, the focus of interest, the face is upside down and in the lower right sweet spot. The lines and the shadows on the street have a very interesting diagonal pattern. It is counterpointed by the reflection of the torso and it's diagonal reflection. The walking feet give the picture a sense of motion. But they are walking out of the shot. No matter, the reflected torso is walking into the shot.

But wait, there is more. The subject is split in two, but in the most unusual way. Both halves are here, but one has to look at the picture for a while to assemble them. The strong abstract composition force this to happen. Cool.

But wait, there is more. This picture is a reference to the famous Cartier-Bresson "Behind the Gare St. Lazare"

cartier-bresson.jpg

HCB also managed to get an upside down face as a focus of interest in the lower right sweet spot. He also has the subject running out of the shot. You shot is almost a Cubist take on the puddle subject, compared to HCB's late Impressionism. I don't know if you were consciously thinking of this when you decided on a B&W conversion. That decision might have made sense in isolation. But I happen to know that you know this HCB picture very well. For me, this reference makes the B&W decision very natural, something I don't always think.

I also like the way this shot reflects on your own work. The shot of the man walking away in the rain with the umbrella. (I couldn't find this in you online gallery) uses similar angles and rainy B&W mood. It was also a "decisive moment" with a sense of diagonal motion.

In short, a very original image with refereces in one of the greatest photographs of all time.
    If not now, when?
    edited February 12, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Andy, telling you that a shot like this is great seems superfluous. You knew it was a great shot the minute you took it. Everyone has told you it was a great shot. PF asked how you got it and your answer makes it clear that you have a zone for street photography that's pretty enviable.

So let me try to tell you a little more. This is a really unusual composition, the focus of interest, the face is upside down and in the lower right sweet spot. The lines and the shadows on the street have a very interesting diagonal pattern. It is counterpointed by the reflection of the torso and it's diagonal reflection. The walking feet give the picture a sense of motion. But they are walking out of the shot. No matter, the reflected torso is walking into the shot.

But wait, there is more. The subject is split in two, but in the most unusual way. Both halves are here, but one has to look at the picture for a while to assemble them. The strong abstract composition force this to happen. Cool.

But wait, there is more. This picture is a reference to the famous Cartier-Bresson "Behind the Gare St. Lazare"

cartier-bresson.jpg

HCB also managed to get an upside down face as a focus of interest in the lower right sweet spot. He also has the subject running out of the shot. You shot is almost a Cubist take on the puddle subject, compared to HCB's late Impressionism. I don't know if you were consciously thinking of this when you decided on a B&W conversion. That decision might have made sense in isolation. But I happen to know that you know this HCB picture very well. For me, this reference makes the B&W decision very natural, something I don't always think.

I also like the way this shot reflects on your own work. The shot of the man walking away in the rain with the umbrella. (I couldn't find this in you online gallery) uses similar angles and rainy B&W mood. It was also a "decisive moment" with a sense of diagonal motion.

In short, a very original image with refereces in one of the greatest photographs of all time.

wow what can i say, john - but thank you and 15651399-Ti.gif ... to be compared like this is such high praise. to be sure, when i'm shooting, i'm heavily influenced by hcb and erwitt - it's really nice to know exactly how the shot made you feel and react, john.

thanks for the insights and comments.
    edited March 5, 2005
    fish wrote:
    That's a really nice coat, Charles...Brooks Brothers?
    lol3.gif fish, this is a riot!

lol3.giflol3.gif
  • Lucky HackLucky Hack Registered Users Posts: 594 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    After this you are no longer allowed to refer to yourself as "second rate" this is the kind of inspired photography that makes people famous! Such a great concept, I think that's what makes the difference between good shot and a great shot.

hoping this message finds you well -Ian
    Chance favors the prepared mind. -Louis Pasteur
    edited March 8, 2005

Steve

thanks steve, i really dig this one thumb.gif