Options

Back from Italy

epettiepetti Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
edited June 2, 2007 in Journeys
New to the forum and back from a trip to Italy, I thought I'd try posting a few pictures here and share the trip. Apologies in advance if I mess up with the posting process as its my first time attempting to post a picture. My trip was partially genealogical, tracking down the homes of my grandparents in the small Molise region where no one speaks English but everyone is friendly. I don't speak Italian, so it made for an interesting experience. I found someone with my last name who was the mayor of the town my grandfather was born in (Ripalimosani), but we don't think he was a relative. Then did some touring of Rome, Cinque Terra, and Florence. Hope you enjoy the pictures. Plenty more found at:

http://epetti.smugmug.com/gallery/2864394

Views fromthe town of Ripalimosani where my grandfather is from. Beautiful winding hill town with lots of narrow streets.

153718267-L.jpg
153718357-L.jpg
153718806-L.jpg
153719296-L.jpg

On to Rome, the pope happened to be speaking when we arrived at Vatican City. The amount of people made it difficult to see anything on the one hand, but did help to gives scale to the size of the Vatican on the other hand.

153721617-L.jpg

This crowd panorama wasn't perfect -- too many people milling about -- but I think you get the idea of the scale.

153722187-L.jpg

Saw this head sitting in the middle of the outside of one of the catacombs in Rome. It was really random, but I couldn't resist a picture of it.

153724381-L.jpg

I love stained glass windows, but it is so hard to capture them, especially if you're not lugging a tripod around everywhere with you. I thought this one in a church near the Piazza Novona came out particularly well.

153724604-L.jpg

The Roman forum is amazing stuck in the middle of modern Rome. It's also huge, with people walking around through massive arches and pillars. I felt like the only way to capture the whole of it was through a panorama.

153726375-L.jpg

The Swiss guard at the Vatican are sort of like the guards in London -- straight face, not supposed to smile, or take pictures with you, or anything like that. That didn't stop my dad from trying, but no luck.

153730532-L.jpg

This is randomly placed (well, not so randomly) on the Vatican grounds.

153730670-L.jpg

Cinque Terra is a series of five small towns near each other and all near the ocean. You can hike between all five towns and then stop for a gelato or dinner in each of the towns. Very quaint, very beautiful. Got lots of great pictures on the way.

153735679-L.jpg
153735916-L.jpg
153736070-L.jpg
153736209-L.jpg
153737621-L.jpg

Those are the highlights. Lots more pictures in the gallery. Also, I roughly geotagged all the pictures, so you can play with the Map This feature on this gallery for my route. It was a great trip -- having gone to Italy once before and seeing all the main tourist sites, this was an opportunity to see a few more off the road spots.

I just joined smugmug and so while this is from a very recent trip, I'm now busy going back through my photo collections, keywording, commenting, geotagging, and posting from other trips, so my site changes quite frequently with new albums added, at least for a while. All galleries and pictures are at:

http://epetti.smugmug.com

Love to hear comments.

Thanks.

Ernie

Comments