Options

Best Grand Canyon North Rim Sunrise ?

jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
I will be in Utah & the North Rim in the 2nd week of June. First trip there. I am looking for advice on where to shoot the sunrise (& sunset) when at the GC North Rim. Looking at the maps it seems Point Imperial and Cape Royal would give me good sunrise images and Bright Angel Point a good sunset. Comments?

Since I am coming from Las Vegas, I am going to go to Cedar Breaks and Zion also (thanks Aaron Newman!). Any opinion on sunrise/sunset shots? Because there is about 15 hours between the 2 events, ideas on the best use of time where the midday sun won't be much of an issue at any of these locations?

All said and done I have 3 sunsets and 3 sunrises available...
"Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
-Fleetwood Mac

Comments

• Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:
    Since I am coming from Las Vegas, I am going to go to Cedar Breaks and Zion also (thanks Aaron Newman!). Any opinion on sunrise/sunset shots?

I have limited experience at Cedar Breaks... however I have three "sunset" photos in this gallery: http://gallery.primarycolors.com/gallery/1866985

All taken around Point Supreme. Use this link to view a map of the two locations I was shooting at.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    ArnicaArnica Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    Highly recomendated Toroweep Point on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, but you'll need 4WD.
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2007
    Cedar Breaks is worth the trip. I managed to get out there on one of my visits to the area. It's kind of like a mini-Bryce Canyong in the main bowl. IIRC, the Spectra Point trail is the one heading around the west side & if you go to the end there's a nice area to get a different viewpoint and a bunch of photogenic Bristlecone Pine to shoot. There are a lot of wildflowers along that trail at the right time of year as well.

While it's not really a photo-oriented thing, since you are right by Cedar City make sure to hit the Shakespeare Festival. I've made a few trips specifically for that, they are that good. They should the running the Globe Theater right about now, too. Very cool. thumb.gif
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2007
    Thanks for all the tips! thumb.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    MacLoyalMacLoyal Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited June 2, 2007
    N. Rim Grand Canyon morning shots
    You won't go wrong at either Cape Royal, where you get a rare glimpse of the Colorado River, or Point Imperial, the highest viewpoint in the park. Keep in mind that both are out on winding roads that take a while to drive. If you want to be out there at dawn you need to leave in the dark.

I just got back from my first visit to the north rim two weeks ago and we also went to Cedar Breaks and Bryce the following days. While at the Grand Canyon were staying at Jacob Lake, almost an hour's drive into the park. Due to that travel distance, I did not get to see either the sunrise or sunset in the park.

Your best chance of avoiding the dreadful haze is early in the morning. However, some of my hazy photos came out much better than I expected.

I can't advise you on Zion, but I will throw my opinion in about Cedar Breaks. My favorite viewpoint is the North Viewpoint because of the variety and intesity of colors right there. It's barely west of where Highway 143 intersects with Highway 148 and is actually outside of where they lock the park gates when the park is closed for the season. I've been there at sunset and it's incredible.

Cedar Breaks is tiny. You can easily hit all the drive to viewpoints and scope the place out in a couple of hours (with a little time to snap some shots). That way you could get an overview and make your decision about staking out a spot for the sunset and sunrise if you'll be there for both. That's going to depend on where you're staying and how willing you are to travel in the dark to get to and fro.

Another warning: there are thousands of deer in both areas. Drive carefully, especially at dusk and dawn.

Happy snapping. You'll be in photo heaven.
    macloyal.smugmug.com