Options

Just Back from Japan: Part I

jeff lapointjeff lapoint Registered Users Posts: 1,228 Major grins
edited June 3, 2007 in Journeys
My wife and I just returned from an all too short trip to Japan. I was considering posting everything in one thread, but I think the at a very minimum the dial-up folks would kill me :dunno.

We arrived in Tokyo the night before the Sanja Matsuri festival at the Asakusa Shrine. Its one of Tokyo's biggest celebrations and it involved the carrying of around 100 portable shrines through the local streets.

158330236-L.jpg

157337102-L.jpg

We showed up at the Shrine around 6:00am local time and it was already packed with people hoping to get a glimpse of the action.

157727803-L.jpg

157337626-L.jpg

158295246-L.jpg

157678028-L.jpg

Food seems sacred in Japan. You'll almost never see people wolfing down food while walking or waiting for the subway. Even at 6am there was plenty of food ready to be eaten.

157337222-L.jpg

157337563-L.jpg

157677852-L.jpg

Nice lady selling the tentacle sticks

157677656-L.jpg

Even the good stuff was available early:wink
157727578-L.jpg

Of course that means someone will end up having too much of it (not me this time)...not the best quality as I was shooting guerrilla style here:rolleyes
158330118-L-1.jpg

Many of the men are dressed in very tradition garb.
157679021-L-1.jpg

157679338-L.jpg

And here's what everyone is here to see.

157678344-L.jpg
These shrines are supposed to be temporary homes of the gods and it is a huge honor to get to carry them. Last year people climbing on them was a problem (and from what I'm told quite disrespectful). This year there was a signed agreement stating riding on the shrines would not be allowed, but later that day I saw a bit on the new stating it was still an issue.

157678690-L.jpg

158329997-L.jpg
Locals tell me in the old days these shrines that are carried through the streets would just happen to crash into houses and stores of those that had wronged the community during the past year. :D

Like I said, I'm wary of having a 30 pic post so tomorrow I'll continue with part II: Harajuku and the Meiji Shrine

Thanks for stopping by!

-j

Comments

• Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    I look forward to more! My husband and I loved our trip to Japan in 2000...would love to go back someday. It is fun to "revisit" through your pics.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited June 1, 2007
    Excellent! clap.gif
    More, more, more!
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    Super shooting, can't wait to see more! My family and I live in Yokohama Japan from 2000 to 2004... I regret not getting more shots of that beutiful country than I did while living there...

Winston
  • Options
    k2butterk2butter Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    Excellent!! I went to this same festival about 10 years ago!!! Your pictures are much better than mine! Thank you for sharing!
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    ah Jeff did you forget to tell Ben and I we waited for you at bolsa :D nice work hope all is well thumb.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    jaimelajaimela Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 1, 2007
    hello. new to the site but am blown away by all the great shots. keep up the good work! looking forward to seeing more shots.
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    I look forward to more! My husband and I loved our trip to Japan in 2000...would love to go back someday. It is fun to "revisit" through your pics.

Thanks so much! I had such a wonderful time, I only wish there was more of it!

More shots are definitely on the way...hope ya dont get tired of thesene_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    Excellent! clap.gif
    More, more, more!
    Thanksthumb.gif...and yes sir!
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2007
    Super shooting, can't wait to see more! My family and I live in Yokohama Japan from 2000 to 2004... I regret not getting more shots of that beutiful country than I did while living there...

Winston

Thanks! I think even if I lived there for 4 years and shot a few hundred clicks per day I'd still feel that way. There's just so much to see and do.
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2007
    k2butter wrote:
    Excellent!! I went to this same festival about 10 years ago!!! Your pictures are much better than mine! Thank you for sharing!

Thanks so much. Did you see anyone riding on the shrines?
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2007
    jwear wrote:
    ah Jeff did you forget to tell Ben and I we waited for you at bolsa :D nice work hope all is well thumb.gif

you mean this wasn't a really tan Ben? Crap, I bought that guy 3 beers by mistake thenrolleyes1.gif158295246-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 1, 2007
    jaimela wrote:
    hello. new to the site but am blown away by all the great shots. keep up the good work! looking forward to seeing more shots.

Welcome to Dgrin! Thanks so much for the kind comments!
  • Options
    k2butterk2butter Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2007
    Thanks so much. Did you see anyone riding on the shrines?

Yes, I remember that, I think I have a photo somewhere... oh, I just looked, I don't have one with someone on it while they were carrying it, it was a great experiance, I went two years in a row while my parents lived there.... I would love to go back again someday... just to soak it all in a bit more, I think I would appreciate it more now...
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited June 1, 2007
    great shots Jeff. Thanks for part 1 of the tour. I'm looking forward to more.
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2007
    you mean this wasn't a really tan Ben? Crap, I bought that guy 3 beers by mistake thenrolleyes1.gif158295246-L.jpg
    so Ben really did go dam and i missed a free beareek7.gif yu live in a town That i can not pronounce its name rolleyes1.gif back to oc doc
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2007
    Good Stuff Doc thumb.gif
    That good be me, but only 3 beers ?? eek7.giffriday.gif

Looking forward to Part 2 !
    Promise not to show the one of Jeff in a Sumo Wrestling Outfit!
    rolleyes1.gif :puke :lol
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2007
    bfjr wrote:
    Good Stuff Doc thumb.gif
    That good be me, but only 3 beers ?? eek7.giffriday.gif

Looking forward to Part 2 !
    Promise not to show the one of Jeff in a Sumo Wrestling Outfit!
    rolleyes1.gif :puke :lol

We switch to sake after the brews, dontcha remember?eek7.gif The pics of Jeff in the sumo diaper melted my CF cardne_nau.gifrofl
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2007
    Nice!

I love these two.

157679021-S-1.jpg

157679338-S.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Nice!

I love these two.

157679021-S-1.jpg

157679338-S.jpg

Thanks for stopping by Sid!
  • Options
    Little TLittle T Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2007
    Neat pics, makes me even more impatient! Im going to Japan in october and i CANT WAIT!
    http://jtrankler.smugmug.com
    jtrankler@gmail.com
    Canon 60D
    Tamron 28-75 2.8
    Canon 70-200 F4 L IS