Options

photorank thumbs not cached? need 2 sec to show up

rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
edited June 4, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I never got around using the Thumbs to rank photos very much in IE6, because of it's dead slow Javascript engine.
Now that I'm primarily use Opera I noticed that the photorank thumbs get reloaded from the server every time I hover over a new photo. Here in Germany I don't have the best ping to the smugmug servers and it usually takes 2 seconds for them to show up. And it also happens with FF, so no Opera issue.

Isn't it somehow possible to cache those 2 little icons instead of reloading them from the server every time? Or is it just me that gets this behaviour?
Bug, feature or intended? Please elaborate.

Thanks,
Sebastian
Sebastian
SmugMug Support Hero

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    Isn't it somehow possible to cache those 2 little icons

No, it is not. I'm sorry about that. Wish I had a different answer for you!
    Bug, feature or intended?
    Intended.
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Intended.
    I would appreciate it if any of the code gurus could elaborate a bit on why is this behaviour intended?
    Wouldn't it make things a lot smoother not just for me if the thumb icons would be there immediately for the user to use without any lag?

I understand that the JS/AJAX link behind every thumb is different. Now simplifying matters to standard HTML code it should be possible to use one thumb over and over again from the same server address and just change the link behind it. The browser then would recognize this thumb by it's server address, see that it's cached and not try to reload it, right? Or am I wrong?

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2007
    I would appreciate it if any of the code gurus could elaborate a bit on why is this behaviour intended?

Hi Sebastian, we don't talk about PhotoRank in detail, I'm sorry about that.
  • Options
    edited June 4, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Sebastian, we don't talk about PhotoRank in detail, I'm sorry about that.
    Alright, this is good enough for me now, but you heard me and maybe we'll see some positive developement in this direction sometimes.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero