Anyone have recommendations on carrying a ton load of gear?ne_nau.gif

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2005
    MHJS wrote:
    I want to travel this spring via air.
    Hi MH. I guess it depends upon what you define as "a ton". A body and four lenses? Andy's Crumpler bag takes that and a laptop. Or do you intend to take more than that?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Hi MH. I guess it depends upon what you define as "a ton". A body and four lenses? Andy's Crumpler bag takes that and a laptop. Or do you intend to take more than that?
    Are you about to offer to carry it? I'm concerned that you've taken on too much already Sid :eek1
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2005
    i carry on the plane, routinely, the following:

standard rolling overnighter suitcase, with my clothes, etc. inside here, also goes my tripod. and chargers for my laptop, cellphone and camera. and sometimes my 70-200 f/2.8L i.s.... in my crumpler bag, the farmer's double, goes my laptop, 1Ds Mark II,580ex, four lenses, misc accessories, a paper notebook, file folders, a novel and my ipod and cell phone.

i travel two to three times a month, domestic and int'l, and have never had a problem.

hth,
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2005
    no, it's okay gubbsie ...
    gubbs wrote:
    Are you about to offer to carry it? I'm concerned that you've taken on too much already Sid :eek1

i'm all for waxington getting in even better shape for the big trip to yosemite. have you seen all the stuff i'm planning on taking?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2005
    gubbs wrote:
    FLIPA.gifFLIPA.gif

And 205 too. rolleyes1.gif

lol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2005
    On a plane
    MHJS wrote:
    I want to travel this spring via air.
    I've carried a lot in the past but the following is the most I've carried by plane.

Hand carry on = EOS1Ds + 200mm1.8 + 70-200mm never any problems. 9kg

In the hold inside a Lowepro sack = Broncolor mobilite + 2 batteries at 7kg each + 1 head + spare bulb + Radio units Pocket Wizard Plus + light meter some cable and AA's. 28kg

In rucksack = 28-70mm+ x2 converter + belt system, pic and info at:-
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=2169
    Total 18kg inc. 5 shirts 2 shorts 2 longs 1 sandles and a few other bits including chargers etc.
    30kg max but no comments made at over 40kg. The lowepro is good.
    I had a skylight smashed in the main rucksack on the 28-70mm. A strange feeling picking up a lens to hear the tinkle of broken glass.........

If I loose any pack except my carry on I can continue with whatever I'm doing. Phone the airline if you want but once you've done that your card is marked for a bill for excess luggage. Check your limit and work close to that.

Pack what you think you need and then remove all the stuff you won't use. I also upgraded at low cost for the extra 10kg from 20kg - 30kg. It depends who your flying with and destination.

Hope that's of help,

Paul.
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    You get 2 carry-ons. Get 2 Pelican 1510 cases and load them to the gills.