Options

Superwide lens for Canon?

fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
edited February 4, 2005 in Cameras
I'm looking for a superwide lens* for a Canon. 3rd party lens suggestions welcome. I'm thinking something in the 10 to 15mm range.

:ear

*need something to be able to capture all of Andy's rearend at Yosemite. :evil
"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson

Comments

• Options
    blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2005
    fish wrote:
    I'm looking for a superwide lens* for a Canon. 3rd party lens suggestions welcome. I'm thinking something in the 10 to 15mm range.

Sigma 14mm f/2.8
    Canon 14mm f/2.8L
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2005
    I know about the Canon (holy $mokes!). Have you used the Sigma? What do you think? Got any sample shots?

Edit...I don't think the sigma is for me.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2005
    I've not used either one, but I've read some great reviews on the Canon, though at $1800 its alittle steep for my blood :)
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2005
    I've heard that the canon one is pretty bad optically, but it's the best one in ef mount. Perhaps this warrants an adapter and a lens designed for another camera? With the DoF of 14mm I don't think manual focus should be much of a problem.
    Richard
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2005
    fish wrote:

ear.gif

*need something to be able to capture all of Andy's rearend at Yosemite. naughty.gif

my, that is the prettiest color of plum you chose there, fishmouth! does it match your drawers? lol3.gif

why not the 10-22? it's not a prime, but it *is* super wide, and really is a fine lens imo.

oh, and FLIPA.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited February 1, 2005
    fish wrote:

ear.gif

Fish - I have a Sigma 12-24 f4.5-f5.6 for EOS mount - Hardly used at all. Make me a good offer and it can be yours!!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2005
    popeye
    pathfinder wrote:
    Fish - I have a Sigma 12-24 f4.5-f5.6 for EOS mount - Hardly used at all. Make me a good offer and it can be yours!!

a good review of "popeye" here
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2005
    andy wrote:
    why not the 10-22? it's not a prime, but it *is* super wide, and really is a fine lens imo.
    Funny, I was just reading a review on that one. Smoked the sigma. Kinda pricey for non-L. Have you tried one?
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2005
    I've heard that the canon one is pretty bad optically
    I read a couple of reviews complaining about sharpness and contrast. Surprising, really.
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    too slow. thanks anyhow.

I changed the title from "prime" to "lens", as there don't seem to be too many choices in the prime flavor.
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2005
    fish wrote:
    Funny, I was just reading a review on that one. Smoked the sigma. Kinda pricey for non-L. Have you tried one?
    yes, i have. if you saw the shot of me feeding the seagulls in the "first person" challenge, that was with this lens. i owned the lens for about 3 days, then sold my 20d and went to the full-framer.

it's pricey yes. but think about what it does! the quality is there, and i've seen some super super sharp shots with it. no doubt you'll have to post proce somewhat more with this or really any uwa, it can produce ca, but so do all of them :)

i can recommend it.
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2005
    What is your time frame for buying?

Tamron has announced an 11-18 but not sure when it will be available here.

Tokina has recently started shipping a 12-24 f/4 that has been getting great reviews. It looks to be much better than the Sigma.

Dave
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2005
    dkapp wrote:
    What is your time frame for buying?

Tamron has announced an 11-18 but not sure when it will be available here.

Tokina has recently started shipping a 12-24 f/4 that has been getting great reviews. It looks to be much better than the Sigma.

Dave

Both of those are in the ballpark. Got a link to the Tokina reviews?
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2005
    andy wrote:
    yes, i have. if you saw the shot of me feeding the seagulls in the "first person" challenge, that was with this lens. i owned the lens for about 3 days, then sold my 20d and went to the full-framer.

it's pricey yes. but think about what it does! the quality is there, and i've seen some super super sharp shots with it. no doubt you'll have to post proce somewhat more with this or really any uwa, it can produce ca, but so do all of them :)

i can recommend it.

Don't recall that image. Can you post a few samples?
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2005
    fish wrote:
    Don't recall that image. Can you post a few samples?
    i've only got one...

12915620-L.jpg
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2005
    The Sigma 12-24 is the only option that I have since my frame is 1.3x, not 1.5x. it is hard to compare the 11-22 or other lenses that are a different "format."
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2005
    andy wrote:
    i've only got one...
    You only took one image with that lens? ear.gif
  • Options
    piercepierce Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited February 4, 2005
    I've heard that the canon one is pretty bad optically, but it's the best one in ef mount. Perhaps this warrants an adapter and a lens designed for another camera? With the DoF of 14mm I don't think manual focus should be much of a problem.
    Richard
    that might be problematic, there would be no F stop control either. EOS EF lenses coupling to the body is entirely electronic.

remember that the digital EOS (other than the 1D family) are only 16x24mm imagers so if there are corner problems on a full frame 35mm (24x36mm image), that won't matter here.

What we *really* need are some downsized EF-S ultra-wides designed for the 24mm imager.... But, in my years of screwing around with 35mm film on a amateur basis, I rarely if ever liked the results from anything wider than a 24mm. 24mm / 1.6X would be a 15mm in the 24mm format. Even lighting and consistent exposure is a real problem with extreme wide angles in outdoor situations, and the barrel distortion is taken to ridiculous levels. My favorite fixed lenses on my old Pentax MX 35mm system in the late 70s were 26mm and 28mm, as well as a compact 150mm I used as a candid and portrait lens.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited February 4, 2005
    I have a 15mm you're welcome to try out.

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2005
    fish wrote:
    You only took one image with that lens? ear.gif

yeah. and the next day i got my 1Ds Mark II and the 10-22 went off for sale.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 4, 2005
    andy wrote:
    yeah. and the next day i got my 1Ds Mark II and the 10-22 went off for sale.
    it's like musical chairs. too bad, your reviews are always good, would have loved to hear/see more about that lens. 10mm is soooo appealing!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited February 4, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    it's like musical chairs. too bad, your reviews are always good, would have loved to hear/see more about that lens. 10mm is soooo appealing!

What would you like to know? deal.gif
    Thanks for everyone's comments and suggestions. Man...are we never satisfied, or what? rolleyes1.gif

clicky piccy for exif-y

15299847-L.jpg
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 4, 2005
    fish wrote:
    What would you like to know? deal.gif
    Thanks for everyone's comments and suggestions. Man...are we never satisfied, or what? rolleyes1.gif

clicky piccy for exif-y
    you did get it! so??? I'm mainly concerned with the "quality" and feel of it. As you pointed out, it's a lot of money for non L glass. My only EF-S experience is fairly cheap and flimsy. How's this one stack up?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited February 4, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    you did get it! so??? I'm mainly concerned with the "quality" and feel of it. As you pointed out, it's a lot of money for non L glass. My only EF-S experience is fairly cheap and flimsy. How's this one stack up?
    Well, there's no confusing it for an L, that's for sure. There's no red ring and it doesn't have the heft of weatherproofing of an L, but so far, I'm pleased with the quality of the images. It doesn't feel plasticky and flimsy like some of the other non-L lenses I've played with. It's the only way to go ultrawide, beyond 15mm. It's certainly priced like an L, but doesn't include hood. umph.gif

I'll post a few more shots a bit later in the nature forum.